Source Naturals - Alpha Lipoic Acid Timed Release 300 mg - 30 Tablets
Source Naturals Alpha Lipoic Acid Timed Release provides antioxidant protection. Alpha-lipoic acid is a powerful fat and water soluble antioxidant. It directly recycles vitamin C and indirectly recycles vitamin E, providing additional antioxidant protection. It is also an important component in the glucose metabolism process within cells. Alpha-lipoic acid may support the normal insulin response and healthy blood sugar levels already within the normal range.
What is Alpha Lipoic Acid?
Alpha Lipoic Acid (ALA) was discovered in 1951. It is a sulfur-containing coenzyme, and when it was first isolated and studied, its main function was thought to be in the Krebs Cycle. Lipoic acid helps convert pyruvate, the compound formed by the energy process of glycolysis, or sugar-burning, into acetyl coenzyme A, a main fuel driving the Krebs cycle. Lipoic acid is also involved in alphaketoglutarate dehydrogenase, another key energy process in the Krebs cycle. As ALA binds to proteins in the mitochondria of the cells to form molecules, enzymes attach and the compounds create catalytic activity, the source of energy production in the cell. ALA is naturally synthesized in small
amounts by plants and animals, and it is found in many foods, including spinach, beef, broccoli, and brewer’s yeast.
In 1988, ALA was discovered to be a potent antioxidant, and is active in both fat- and watersoluble regions of the cell. In its varied forms, it
has been shown to scavenge and terminate such free radicals as hydroxyl radicals, singlet oxygen and peroxynitrite. This means that the ALA molecule gives up one of its own electrons to stabilize the free radicals. The free radicals, then, do not harm other healthy molecules. The quenching of free radicals has been seen as a highly important aspect of healthy aging and healthy inflammation response. Many more benefits have now been discovered.
Multiple Functions, Multiple Benefits
- Antioxidant – ALA gives up an electron from its outer shell to stabilize free radicals. Since the free radical is stabilized, it does not attack healthy cells, so cellular function and vitality is supported. This benefits the eyes, the cardiovascular system, the liver, the skin…the entire body.
- Regeneration of Antioxidants – Spent antioxidants–ones that have already sacrificed their electrons to stabilize free radicals–must be reduced (regenerated) before they are able to scavenge additional oxygen or nitrogen species. ALA is a potent reducing agent, and therefore it reactivates helpful compounds like vitamin C, glutathione, vitamin E, and CoQ10, enabling them to do more for your health.
- Cleansing/Detoxification – ALA chelates onto transition metals; it attaches to them so they can be cleared from the body before harming
cells. Binding to such metals as mercury, arsenic, cadmium and iron clears them from the blood, reducing the workload of the liver and improving cellular health.
• Cellular health – Transcription factors are proteins that bind to certain DNA sequences and either promote or repress the duplication of selected genes. ALA has been shown to balance the location and movement of the transcription factors, increasing healthy functioning of the cells.
- Sugar balance – ALA supports cellular mechanisms that are responsible for glucose uptake
from the blood to the cells. It also increases insulin efficiency. Excess blood sugar can damage proteins in a process called glycation and it can lead to fat generation, weight gain, and the metabolic inflammation that may impact the health of the heart, brain, and cellular health. A healthy sugar balance affects cellular energy and the function of cells throughout the body.
- Nerves and cognition – ALA has been shown to improve memory in mammals and preliminary studies suggest that it stabilizes cognitive function. In the SystemiCare model of healthcare, eight of the twelve deep metabolic systems of the body are positively influenced by Alpha Lipoic Acid...Energy, Cells/DNA, Inflammation Response, Antioxidant Defense, Sugar Regulation, Liver/Detox, Circulation, and Cognition/Nerves. The 600 mg tablets are time released, giving you sustained benefits throughout the day. Rarely do we discover nutrients that have such far-reaching, varied benefits for the body.
Leaders of the Wellness Revolution
Source Naturals was created in 1982 by C.E.O Ira Goldberg to support each individual’s potential to enjoy optimal health. At that time, the kind of nutritional formulations he envisioned – for the maintenance of well-being and the enhancement of life – simply didn’t exist. The idea of combining many nutrients, herbs and nutraceuticals in one formulation, though common today, was then a rarity. Source Naturals pioneered the concept with Wellness Formula, now the industry’s #1 immune support product. Source Naturals subsequently introduced numerous award-winning formulas, recognized for their excellence in independent surveys and nutritional analyses. In addition to Wellness, these award-winners include Life Force Multiple, Mega-Kid Multiple, Inflama-Rest, the Skin Eternal line, Higher Mind, Essential Enzymes, Male Response, and more.
Source Naturals’ comprehensive Bio-Aligned Formulas help bring the power of alignment to your body. When formulating, Source Naturals evaluates the underlying causes of system imbalances, and then provides targeted nutrition to interdependent body systems. Source Naturals' line of more than 600 products also includes well-researched, single entity nutrients in their highest quality and most bioavailable forms. Source Naturals nutritional supplements are at the leading edge of today’s Wellness Revolution. This transformation in health consciousness also includes new perspectives in diet, lifestyle, emotional and spiritual development, and complementary health care. Source Naturals Strategy for Wellness is to provide education that empowers individuals to take responsibility for their health, rather than relying solely on outside medical authority. The result is people who are more productive and fulfilled, and a world that is stronger and healthier.