Life Extension Ultra Natural Prostate with 5-Loxin and Standardized Lignans
Support for a Healthy Prostate
The prostate gland is located just below the urinary bladder. The base or top of the prostate is intimately connected to the urinary bladder sphincter, or valve. The urethra, or channel for voiding of urine, passes through the center of the prostate. The apex or lower end of the prostate is connected to the penis.
The prostate of a baby boy is about the size of a pea. By age 21-30, the normal male will have a prostate gland that weighs 20 plus or minus 6 grams, which remains constant unless benign prostatic hypertrophy begins.1 Nearly 60% of men between the ages of 40 and 59 already suffer from an enlarging prostate,2 and at 80 years of age, approximately 80% of men will have an enlarged prostate gland.
A huge percentage of men over age 50 suffer from prostate-induced discomforts. The Ultra Natural Prostate Formula contains the most scientifically substantiated nutrients to help protect the prostate gland and maintain its healthy function.
Recently added to the formulas are standardized lignans from flax and the Norway spruce trees. These lignans convert to enterolactones in the intestine that are then absorbed into the bloodstream where they provide significant biological effects. Enterolactones have demonstrated anti-estrogen and anti-DHT effects that are of particular importance for the aging prostate gland.
The eight other active ingredients in Ultra Natural Prostate Formula are:
- 5-LOXIN® boswellia extract. Published studies show that normal aging and poor diet cause levels of a dangerous enzyme (5-lipoxygenase) to increase, which can affect prostate cells. 5-LOXIN® is a patented extract from the boswellia plant that has been shown to suppress 5-lipoxygenase and other pro-inflammatory factors.
- Nettle root extract (Urtica dioica). In aging men, too much testosterone is converted to estrogen. Prostate cells are sensitive to estrogen’s growth stimulatory effects. Nettle root helps protect prostate cells against the excess estrogen levels.
- Saw palmetto extract. A number of normal biological events in aging men affect prostate function and structure. Saw palmetto has been shown to interfere with DHT activity in the prostate, inhibit alpha-adrenergic receptor activity (to support normal urinary flow) and help control inflammatory actions in the prostate gland.
- Pygeum. Normal aging results in levels of certain prostaglandins increasing in the prostate gland. Pygeum africanum extract helps suppress these prostaglandins, keeping the prostate gland placid and promoting prostate comfort.
- Beta-sitosterol. The most biologically active constituent of pygeum is beta-sitosterol. It is more cost effective to obtain beta-sitosterol from other plant sources for inclusion in a prostate support formula.
- Cernitin®. This European pollen extract has been shown to relax smooth muscle tone of the urethra, counteract DHT, and help regulate inflammatory reactions.
- Boron. This mineral helps protect bones, and has been shown to slow elevation of PSA, most probably by protecting against protein-degrading enzymes in the prostate gland.
- Lycopene. This carotenoid most commonly associated with tomato sauce helps maintain healthy DNA gene function in prostate cells.