Yogourmet Freeze-Dried Yogurt Starter & Creme Bulgare Starter Set - 6 x 5g Packets
Yo`Gourmet Freeze-Dried Yogurt Starter and Creme Bulgare Starter - for a better yogurt with any yogurt machine. Yogourmet Freeze-Dried Yogurt Starter & Creme Bulgare Starter Set is meticulously manufactured and scientifically balanced to ensure that you make a smooth, creamy and great tasting yogurt every time. The Yogourmet Freeze-Dried Yogurt Starter & Creme Bulgare Starter Set, when used with the Yogourmet Multi yogurt maker, produces delicious yogurt in only 4 1/2 hours. Yogourmet Freeze-Dried Yogurt Starter & Creme Bulgare Starter Set is packed in sealed, double-layered envelopes for long-lasting quality. Yogourmet Freeze-Dried Yogurt Starter & Creme Bulgare Starter Set is available in boxes of 3 envelopes of 2 X 5 grams. Each envelope in the Yogourmet Freeze-Dried Yogurt Starter & Creme Bulgare Starter Set makes 2 litres of yogurt. Envelopes are divided in two sections of 5 grams to allow you to prepare only one litre at a time if desired.
- Save more! Make your own yogurt at about half the price of store bought
- Go Green! Reduce the plastic containers used with store bought yogurt
- All Natural! Know what you are eating. When making your own yogurt, you control what goes into it. No additives or preservatives!
- Each box contains six - 5 gram envelopes
- Each envelope makes 1 quart of yogur
What is Lyophilization ?
Lyophilization is a process which extracts the water from foods and other products so that the foods or products remain stable and are easier to store at room temperature (ambiant air temperature).
Lyophilization is carried out using a simple principle of physics called sublimation. Sublimation is the transition of a substance from the solid to the vapour state, without first passing through an intermediate liquid phase. To extract water from foods, the process of lyophilization consists of:
- Freezing the food so that the water in the food become ice;
- Under a vacuum, sublimating the ice directly into water vapour;
- Drawing off the water vapour;
- Once the ice is sublimated, the foods are freeze-dried and can be removed from the machine.
Advantages of Lyophilization
Lyophilization has many advantages compared to other drying and preserving techniques.
- Lyophilization maintains food quality because the food remains at a temperature that is below the freezing-point during the process of sublimation; The use of lyophilization is particularly important when processing lactic bacteria, because these products are easily affected by heat.
- Foods which are lyophilized can usually be stored without refrigeration, which results in a significant reduction of storage and transportation costs.
- Lyophilization greatly reduces weight, and this makes the products easier to transport. For example, many foods contain as much as 90% water. These foods are 10 times lighter after lyophilization.
- Because they are porous, most freeze-dried foods can be easily rehydrated. Lyophilization does not significantly reduce volume, therefore water quickly regains its place in the molecular structure of the food.
The freeze-dryer unit Lyo-San uses is of their own design. Each dryer is composed of a large air-tight cylindrical reservoir, equipped with shelves to hold the trays of food to be freeze-dried. Access is through a large door, made of 6 cm thick acrylic, strong enough to resist the high pressure created when air is withdrawn from the freeze-drying unit to produce a vacuum needed for the process of sublimation.
Yogourmet by Lyo-San
Lyo-San is pleased to present their line of Yogourmet products to help you make delicious and tasty home-made yogurt, nutritious cultured milks. Yogourmet products are easy to use, recognized for their excellent quality, and produce delicious yogurt. Lyo-San has recently added new cultures to their line of products, which will allow you to produce home-made yogurt with added probiotic bacteria and cultured milks such as kéfir, spreadable cheeses, buttermilk and sour cream. Yogourmet products are easy to use and produce natural and delicious home-made yogurt and cultured milks.