Alaffia - Everyday Coconut Super Hydrating Body Lotion - 32 oz. (950 mL)
Alaffia Everyday Coconut Super Hydrating Body Lotion absorbs quickly, providing light-weight yet deep hydration for smooth and silky skin. Coconut water nourishes with essential amino acids, vitamins and minerals while antioxidant-rich coffee berry extract helps prevent free radical damage.
- No Sodium Lauryl Sulfate
- No Synthetic Fragrance
- No Animal Testing
- No Refined Oils
- No Parabens
- No Gluten
Virgin Coconut Oil
Virgin Coconut Oil is traditionally extracted oil from fresh fruit of the coconut palm, Cocos nucifera. Coconuts have been cultivated in coastal West Africa and been part of the diet and skin care for centuries. Virgin coconut oil is an important food oil, and is applied to skin and hair directly to protect from sun and wind damage.
Virgin Coconut Oil is high in natural antioxidants and protects skin from damaging free-radicals. It also helps keep skin firm and reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. Virgin Coconut Oil can help heal and repair the skin and make the skin smoother and more evenly textured by removing the outer layer of dead skin cells. They extract their Virgin Coconut Oil by hand in Togo, West Africa from fresh coconuts grown organically on small farms. They use their Virgin Coconut Oil in its natural, unrefined state for maximum effectiveness.
Antioxidant properties of unrefined Coconut Oil
Refined coconut oil has been stripped of natural antioxidants and is highly prone to free-radical generation. Free radicals damage skin cells and cause skin aging and cancer. The antioxidants in virgin coconut oil not only prevent free-radicals from forming in the oil, but also help protect against free-radicals that the skin is exposed to.
To Alaffia, fair trade means paying a fair price or wage in the local context, providing equal employment opportunities, engaging in environmental sustainable practices, providing healthy and safe working conditions, being open to public accountability, and reducing the number of middlemen between producers and consumers. They believe fair trade should be environmentally, economically and culturally sustainable and give local communities the opportunity to self empower.
What is Fair Trade?
Fair Trade is a movement of individuals and organizations working to ensure that producers in poor countries receive a greater percentage of the price paid by consumers. While there are several definitions of fair trade, they all include:
- Fair Trade Price - base price for raw ingredients or goods is adjusted higher than the open market price
- Price Premium - a percentage above the base fair trade price is paid into a separate account for development projects in producer communities.
- Working Conditions - Fair Trade operators must adhere to basic human and labor rights - including the right to organize, no child labor, access to health care, and so on.
- Environmental Stewardship - Fair Trade organizations must minimize environmental impact.
EveryDay Coconut was created by Alaffia as a means of increasing coconut oil production at their cooperatives in Togo while offering a value size body and hair care to customers in these tough economic times. Like other Alaffia products, 10% of EveryDay Coconut sales are allocated to support Alaffia's community empowerment projects in West Africa. These projects are aimed at reducing poverty and empowering women in poor communities in Togo, and include:
- Bicycles for Education: Donations of used bicycles from our US communities give disadvantaged students in Togo the incentive to stay in school. They have sent more than 4000 bicycles to Togo and distributed them to girls and boys in more than 70 villages.
- Maternal Health: 1 in every 16 women faces death from pregnancy and birth related complications in West Africa. Alaffia funds prenatal care for 700 mothers each year to help reduce maternal deaths, since saving mothers is critical for reducing poverty in our communities.
- School Supplies & Repairs: Spending on education in Togo has dropped by half over the past ten years, meaning families and communities must make up the difference. Every year, we donate school supplies to hundreds of families. Alaffia also donates metal roofs, bench seats, and school supplies to rural schools in central Togo to help these communities maintain their schools. In 2011, thry built their first high school in Kouloumi, Togo.
- Reforestation: To help mitigate the effects of climate change, combat deforestation, and prevent soil erosion in our Togolese communities, they plant 8,000 trees each year.
About Everyday Coconut
EveryDay Coconut is an extension of Alaffia Sustainable Skin Care and EveryDay Shea. Alaffia was founded by Olowo-n’djo Tchala, a Togolese native, as a way to generate funds to conduct community enhancement projects in his home country and other West African nations in order to reduce poverty and gender inequality. Olowo-n’djo believes that Africans can mobilize their natural resources in a sustainable manner to empower their own communities, and that this is a more sustainable avenue towards reducing poverty than waiting for outside aid or for corrupt governments to fall. Alaffia and the Alaffia Coconut Cooperative were founded in order to trade the indigenous resource – Coconut Oil – in the West to raise proceeds which are then returned to Togo in the form of community projects.
EveryDay Coconut is a continuation of this philosophy. EveryDay Coconut is a value line product that is price-sensitive during this economically difficult time. It provides a way for health-conscious families in the West to afford clean, petroleum-free body care, while at the same time keeping the Alaffia cooperative members employed in Togo.