LifeAir IonFlow Signature Air Purifier - 20 x 20 x 18 inches
LifeAir IonFlow Signature Air Purifier removes viruses, mold, allergens, and harmful particles from the air, without the noise, change of expensive filters, and with a very low energy consumption. Signature has a sophisticated design with a natural amber color and woodgrain finish that beautifully blends into any home environment. Third party tests show that it efficiently removes the finest particles which cause the most severe health problems. Scientifically tested and approved to prevent the spread of airborne virus. Filterless, no expensive filters to replace. Instead, it has a reusable collector that you easily wash in water. Generates millions of negative ions without producing ozone as a bi-product. Totally silent air cleaner, so it will not disturb your activities. Energy efficient, uses 10 times less energy than most other air purifiers. Ideal for rooms up to 650 sq. feet..
LifeAir IonFlow Signtaure Air Purifier Features:
- Energy efficient
- Award winning design
- Easy to use, assemble & maintain
- Environmentally Friendly
- Proven efficiency - removes harmful pollutants such as virus, bacteria, mold, pollen, dust, smoke, traffic pollution, etc. for rooms up to 650 sqf.
- Filter-free - No expensive filter to replace instead a reusable collector that you easily wash in water and washing-up liquid when needed.
- Completely silent - Less than 5 dB. For reference; a level of 45 dB indoors is identified as preventing activity, causing interference and annoyance. Most other air purifiers have a noise level of 35-80 dB.
- Energy efficient - Uses less than 7W per hour, which is about 10 times less than most other air purifiers. The energy consumption is highly relevant as air purifiers should be turned on at all times to efficiently keep the particle concentration down.
LifeAir IonFlow 50 comes in three different models: floor, floor/table and ceiling. They all share the same stylish looks, features and performance. It offers an outstanding combination of efficient, filter-free, silent, ozone free, energy efficient, easy to use and economical operation that is at home in any environment - a perfect balance between blending in and standing out. The clean lines, slim silhouette and transparency offer you a stylish alternative to typical industrial looking air purifiers. LifeAir Ionflow 50 will nicely be part of your home, office, hotel, restaurant, school, shop, clinic and more.
SP (Part of the Swedish Government, Ministry of Industry) has tested a number of the market leading air purifiers in regards to their particle reduction performance of small particles. The test verifies that LifeAir IonFlow 50 efficiently removes practically all airborne particles and that it is especially efficient in removing the smallest and most harmful particles. It is actually as good as one of the best HEPA filter-based air purifiers on the market, but without the noise, energy consumption and expensive filter change!
There is a growing public awareness and knowledge about poor indoor air quality and its alarming health effects. Hundreds of community health studies have linked daily increases in fine particle pollution to reduced lung function, greater use of asthma medications, and increased rates of school absenteeism, emergency room visits, hospital admissions, and even tens of thousands of premature deaths each year. Fine particle pollution is especially harmful to children, elderly, and people suffering from lung and cardiovascular diseases such as asthma, COPD, artery disease and congestive heart failure. In America alone 20 million people suffer from asthma and 50 million allergies.
In the last couple of years, scientific evidence has indicated that it is actually the indoor air that is a major health threat being seriously more polluted than the outdoor air, in even the most industrialized cities. As people are known to spend approximately 90% of their time indoors, the health risk may be severe.
In conjunction with the European Respiratory Society Congress (ERS) in Stockholm in 2007, WHO published a report stating that one billion of the world's inhabitants now have chronic lung diseases and that by 2020 these will be the world's greatest cause of death. This applies to pulmonary infections such as tuberculosis as well as lung cancer and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), plus a range of respiratory diseases such as asthma and diseases involving defective breathing regulation, like sleep apnea and sudden infant death. Whilst the incidence of many other major disease groups is declining, lung diseases are on the increase!
Small particles, below the size of 2.5 micron (PM2.5) and even more below 1 micron, are inhaled more or less deeply into your lungs and enter your bloodstream, also bringing other substances into your body. Today, this is considered to be a major cause of heart and vascular diseases as well as different forms of cancer.
A number of different lung problems are caused by the small size particles. During the last couple of years, it has been proven that allergic and asthma reactions have become 10-100 times more aggressive in combination with breathing such small soot particles, mostly from combustion of fossil fuels, which are the great majority of particles in the air today.. And it does not have to be simultaneous.
Fine, ultrafine and nano particles cause almost all the health problems from particles in the air according to scientific evidence during the last years. Not even the allergy organizations seem to be fully aware of this yet - they still consider pollen and mold spores to be the major causes. Air cleaning of pollen is like trying to suck basketballs into a vacuum cleaner. Pollen are huge particles, but they contain allergens which come loose when pollen break apart and become ultrafine particles, mostly containing allergens, i.e. proteins/albumins.
Health problems caused by mold are most probably not caused by rather large sized mold, spores. It has been proven over the last 4-5 years that different kinds of mold continuously generate large quantities of ultrafine particles containing mycotoxins which are among the most potent poisons in nature. This is the major cause of mold sickness.
Thus, the smallest particles, which are everywhere in enormous numbers and which are "floating" for very long periods of time in the air, are proven to cause most of the different health problems, and even moreso in combination with different allergens. Reducing the concentration of such small particles in the air has a positive effect on your health. This can be accomplished by using high performance air purifiers provided however that they are are in continuous operation as air quality is extremely volatile.
Humans breathe 20,000 liters of air every day. The air is full of particles that derive from different sources in society. The majority of these particles are so small that they can actually enter your blood stream.
An air cleaner is useful in many areas of society, from households and offices to hospitals and laboratories. Each market has one thing in common: they need to improve the indoor air quality (sometimes even make it sterile). LifeAir will in time meet the demand for all air cleaning markets. Below is a comprehensive explanation to why the indoor air is polluted, the effect it has on your health, and what you can do to improve it.
There are 4 main reasons to why you need an air purifier:
- The indoor air quality is worse than the outdoor air, even in the most industrialized cities. You spend approximately 90% of your time indoors. Polluted air is harmful to your health and can cause symptoms such as asthma, allergy, heart & vascular disease, fatigue, nausea, headache, respiratory decrease and more. The indoor air lacks negative ions, the air's natural vitamins. Polluted air cost you and society health, time and money.
- The outdoor air enters through the ventilation system with exhaust fumes, pollution from industries, mold, allergens, pollen, radon, pesticides, micro/nano particles, etc, into the house or premises.
- Construction material can secrete poisonous gas (radon), raw material, asbestos-containing insulation, wet or damp carpet and furniture, etc. It can also collect particles, bacteria, virus, mold, etc. These are a few of the effects that go under the name "Sick Building Syndrome" (SBS). Other pollutants are products for central heating and cooling systems and humidification devices.
- The human being - leaves, remains from skin, hair, fiber and dust from clothes, dirt from shoes, etc. Furthermore, humans pollute more by smoking, cooking, lighting fires, keeping pets, household cleaning and maintenance, personal care and hobbies. Human activities and pollution generates positively charged oxygen ions, which result in an unnatural imbalance of ions, which have been proven to cause health problems.
Most buildings constructed during the last 60 years have integrated complete ventilation systems (mechanical supply & exhaust air). It has been necessary because of the size of buildings and due to tighter and better insulated construction materials. All such buildings function like large vacuum cleaners whereby you spend most of your time in the filter bag, i.e. indoors an absurd situation but unfortunately the truth. The indoor climate also creates a friendly environment for bacteria, fungus and virus to grow in.
The indoor air quality is in general proven to be 4-5 times worse than the outdoor air because most ventilation can not handle the large amount of fine particles and the systems are often also malfunctioning as a result of:
- complete isolation (especially in countries with changing climate), which decrease the natural ventilation
- ventilation ductwork systems have been found to be dangerously dirty inside preventing airflow and balance
- only a fraction of the air particles get stuck in the supply air filter system, the rest pass on straight into the building
- the exhaust system is unable to efficiently handle the extraction of particles, partially because they have a certain weight
- bad situated supply air, for example too close to car exhaust fumes, restaurant exhaust, industry exhaust
- Exhaust air is situated too close to the supply air, which means that the air that just went out comes back in again
- temporary turn-off of the ventilation system during the night (to save money) expose the filters and the ventilation systems to evaporation, which creases a living friendly environment for fungus, bacteria, virus and mold. These microbes are pushed into the building in the morning when the system is turned back on.
- the supply filter is changed too seldom, which results in the filter becoming a living environment for microbes that are constantly pushed into the building.
- mechanical exhaust have been shown to cause pressure, which makes polluted air to be sucked into natural chinks and holes in the isolation and ground.
- there are regulations and standards almost everywhere for minimum fresh air supply, these standards are however in general never met.
In a healthy environment approximately two thirds of the ions should consist of negative ions. Humans and their environment generate positive ions and an unnatural balance of ions. For example, at a waterfall, it circulates about 50,000 negative ions/cm3 and at an office, it circulates about 20 ions/cm3. Common sense states that the environment at a waterfall is healthier than the one at an office.
The balance of ions is also connected to the number of particles you find in the air including bacteria, virus, allergens, etc. Since particle generally are charged positive, negative ions work as natural air cleaners by attaching themselves to positive charged particles. These will thereafter cluster and become heavy and fall out of the air or get attracted to positive charged spaces.
After studies of people who have been exposed to SBS (Sick Building Syndrome) or other polluted environments, it has been clear that a polluted environment is the cause of the following symptoms:
- irritation in eyes and throat
- cardio and vascular disease
- respiratory disease
- fatigue, concentration difficulties, headache, irritation, depression
- virus and bacteria attacks
The consequence of these symptoms is long-term sickness and absence from work and school as well as an enormous cost for the society. There are urgent problems in the hospital industry where there is a continuous losing battle against resistant bacteria and virus infections. Many industrial procedures have problems with particles in the air. These are directly functional problems, causing production and quality problems or storage losses in the hospital industry, the food and pharmaceutical industries, the electronic industry, paper and photo industry and in many other industrial processing situations.
It is unfortunately not as simple as open your window and let in some "fresh" air, especially not if you live in a big city. The outdoor air in cities is dangerous and should pass through the ventilation system before entering. A good advice to solve air quality problems in apartments, homes, and offices, involve actions like eliminating or controlling the sources of pollution, increasing and maintaining ventilation systems, and installing air purification devices.
Which IonFlow 50 model is best for me?
LifeAir IonFlow 50 comes in 4 different models, which all share the same stylish looks, features and performance.
- Signature (floor) is great for the classic homes with its sophisticated appearance of natural amber color and a wood grain finish. It is 26 inches/66 cm in height and fits perfectly on the floor
- Style (floor) is perfect if you plant to have your air purifier in a room with some space. It has a great design touch with its perfectly cylindrical handmade stand. It is 26 inches/66 cm in height, and fits perfectly on the floor.
- Surface (floor/table) is the little sister of Style. It has a shorter, slightly conical stand with a height of 22 inches/56 cm. The shorter stand makes it fit both on a table and the floor.
- Sky (ceiling) is a ceiling model. It is perfect if you want it out of the way, or if you don't have much space. It is easily hung over your bed, in the children's room, in your office, etc. It is very easily installed.
How does the IonFlow work?
- The indoor air is full of particles that come from yourself, your surroundings and your daily activities such as bacteria, virus, mold, pollen, car exhaust, dust, etc.
- LifeAir IonFlow generates billions of electrons per second that transforms into negative ions.
- The negative ions charge the particles in the air negatively.
- Once the particles have been negatively charged, they are attracted by the positively charged collector, which essentially acts like a large magnet for dirt. IonFlow 50 is especially effective in removing the smallest particles in the air, which are considered the most hazardous to your health.
- The collector will become dirty on the outside. How dirty and how fast depends on how polluted the environment is where it is placed.
- When necessary, the collector can be easily removed, rinsed in water, and then reused.
How should I place my IonFlow?
LifeAir recommends that you place the Style/Surface/Sky models at least 3 feet (1 meter) away from all walls and furniture and that you hang the Sky model 1.5 feet (0.5 meter) down from the ceiling. If these recommendations are not followed, nearby walls and/or furniture may become somewhat dirty.
They also recommend that you place the air purifier at least 3 feet (1 meter) from all metallic objects because of their potential risk to become static and act as collectors. The small electric charge the metallic objects might attain is harmless.
How does a dirty collector look, and how fast will it become dirty?
The collector has a strong positive charge that efficiently attracts the particles in the air. It will be dirty on the outside. At first, you may experience it as a change in color, as the particles are extremely small and fixed evenly over the surface of the collector. After awhile, it will however become visible. When depends on how polluted the environment is where the air purifier is placed. In the city center of a middle sized town, the collector will be visibly dirty in just a few days.
How do I clean the Ionflow, and how often?
How often you need to clean the collector depends on how polluted the environment is where it is placed. In general, the collector should be cleaned approximately once every two weeks, but may require more frequent cleaning if used in highly contaminated environments.
- Remove the collector from the ion generator and clean it with liquid soap, water and a soft sponge or dish brush
- Dry the collector with a dishtowel.
- Put the collector back on the ion generator according to instructions in the manual.
If you have followed all the above instructions and the collector is still not clean, try the following:
- Spray universal cleaning detergent all around the collector and let it work for 5 minutes
- Use a damp sponge and rub any remaining spots until they disappear
- Dry the collector with a towel and place it back on the ion generator according to instructions.
Occasionally, you may need to carefully clean the fragile corona needles. Use a small brush, like a toothbrush, and carefully brush away the thin layer of white lime scale and dirt which may have attached to the needles. Do not use pressure or water when you clean the needles. Clean the ion generator and the acrylic stand with a damp cloth or sponge when needed. Wipe clean and rub away any remaining dirt. Dry with a towel. Do not allow the top and bottom to come into contact with water, and be careful with the corona needles on the ion generator. Do not wash the collector in the dishwasher. Do not use cleaning products that contain alcohol solutions, ammonia or alkaline substances, as these may damage the air purifier. Always unplug the transformer before cleaning the air purifier.
What are the collector, ion generator, corona needles, decorative lights, etc.?
The positively charged aluminum collector attracts the negatively charged particles and leaves the air clean. Since the collector is easily cleaned in water, there are no expensive filters to replace. The ion generator is the heart of the IonFlow 50 with its patented technology that enables an efficient reduction of the smallest and most harmful particles. The enormous amount of negative ions is generated from the three corona needles situated in the ion generator.
The decorative LED-lights of model Style, Surface and Signature are independent of function and can be turned on/off at any time. The product is delivered with blue lights, but you can buy additional colors and thereby easily change into green, red, or white depending on the season, mood and interior decoration.
The Style and Signature models are supplied with a taller, handmade and perfectly cylindrical stand in transparent acrylic. It has a high design effect and stylish appearance. The Surface model has a shorter molded stand in flawless transparent plastic. With its more compact form, it fits perfectly on a table.
If you are worried that you or those around you may find the mild and harmless electric charge unpleasant when touching the collector, you can use the protective guard. Please not that this is not required from a safety perspective. LifeAir has all certifications needed according to international standards.
In controlling the power and decorative lights of the IonFlow, there are 3 levels/clicks:
- Click once: Air purifier ON, decorative lights OFF.
- Click twice: Air purifier ON, decorative lights ON.
- Click three times: Air purifier OFF, decorative lights OFF.
How is it possible that IonFlow does not produce any ozone, since it is an ionizing air purifier?
LifeAir Ion Flow air purifier is based on traditional ionization technique, but it has been further developed and optimized, which means that the major previous disadvantages like generation of ozone has been successfully eliminated.
The basic idea is to clean the air with negative ions and trap them with a collector is still the same, but the technology used to attain this objective is entirely different. LifeAir has worked many years to solve the problem of ozone generation. The result is a very efficient air purifier that is completely ozone free.
What is the difference between IonFlow and other air purifiers?
LifeAir IonFlow offers a combination of consumer benefits that is hard to beat! Its capacity in removing the smallest and most dangerous particles is comparable to the best HEPA filter based air purifiers, but without the noise, without the change of filters, without the ozone and with a very low energy consumption! Also, it is compact and stylish!
In short, it offers an efficient, silent, ozone-free, energy saving, easy to use and economical operation that is at home in any environment independent of life style or interior design - a perfect balance between blending in and standing out. It is compact with clean lines and slim silhouette that offer consumers a stylish alternative to industrial looking air-purifiers.
LifeAir IonFlow effectively removes airborne particles from dust, smoke, pollen, bacteria, virus, mold, pet allergens and more. It is especially effective in eliminating the smallest particles that are considered to be most dangerous to your health. No expensive filter to replace, instead a reusable collector that you easily wash and clean in soap and water when needed. The fact that never need to buy a filter will save you lots of money in comparison to filter-based air purifiers.
LifeAir IonFlow is extremely quiet - less than 5 decibels. For reference, a level of 45 dB indoors is identified as preventing activity, causing interference and annoyance. Most other air purifiers have a noise level of 35-80 dB. This air purifier also uses less than 7W per hour, which is much less than most other air purifiers. The energy consumption is highly relevant, as all air purifiers should be turned on at all times to efficiently keep the particle concentration down. The ozone level is not even measurable, and this considered to be equal to zero. This is the first, as far as they know, that anyone has managed to obtain a high emission of negative ions without producing ozone as a by-product!
The Light Air Ion Flow has earned several prestigious design awards, the International Design Excellence Award, among others, making it an object of desire! It offers you a stylish alternative to typical industrial looking air purifiers. Just plug it in and let it work around the clock for you. Only four main parts to assemble, and no moving parts that can break down! This purifier is small and moveable, fitting into any environment, and strives to respect the environment at all stages of the product life cycle.
Does IonFlow remove odors/gas?
LifeAir Ion Flow can not remove gas. Odors, however, are not always gas, but particles, which LifeAir IonFlow 50 remove efficiently.
What is the capacity of Ion Flow?
LifeAir recommends that you use IonFlow in rooms up to 540 sq feet/50 sq meters in a normal home environment. It is, however, important to understand that depending on the sources of pollution the air purifiers capacity alters. For example, if you smoke, have a dog, work at home, frequently use printers and/or live in a busy city environment, you might need two units to cover the same area. This logic goes for all air purifiers on the market.
Why do I need an air purifier?
An air cleaner is useful in many areas of society, from households and offices to hospitals, laboratories and industries. Each market has one thing in common: they need to improve the indoor air quality (sometimes even make it sterile). LifeAir will meet the demand for all air cleaning markets. There are three main reasons as to why you need an air purifier:
- The indoor air quality is more polluted than the outdoor air, even in the most industrialized cities, and people spend approximately 90% of their time indoors.
- Polluted air is harmful to your health and can cause severe health symptoms such as asthma, allergy, cardio & vascular disease, fatigue, nausea, headache, respiratory disease and more.
- Polluted air cost you and the society health, time and money.
Why are the smallest particles the most dangerous?
Small particles, below the size of 2.5 micron (PM 2.5) and even more below 1 micron, are inhaled more or less deeply into your lungs and enter the bloodstream, also bringing other substances into your body. Today, this is considered to be a major cause of heart and vascular diseases as well as different forms of cancer.
A number of different lung problems are caused by the same small size particles. During the last few years, it has been proven that allergic and asthma reactions have become 10-100 times more aggressive in combinations with breathing such small soot particles, mostly from combustion of fossil fuels, which are the great majority of particles in the air today. And it does not have to be simultaneous.
LifeAir controls two outstanding technologies: IonFlow and CellFlow. This revolutionary technological tool box creates invincible possibilities to quality applications that will improve indoor air quality in environments like households, offices and schools as well as laboratories, high-tech industry, food production and entire buildings. The two technologies are both complementary and stand alone, which broadens the application potential and product possibilities.
- An optimized version of traditional ionization
- A significantly improved version of conventional electrostatic filter techniques
LifeAir does not only develop air purifiers for people that desire clean and healthy air, but also for design lovers. They acknowledge the importance of a great look and believe an air purifier should be a decoration that fits well with your home or office environment. Many people know they need an air purifier to improve their quality of life, but they don't want a big, ugly, noisy piece of plastic standing around their well-decorated home or office. LifeAir listened to them and developed air purifiers with a design that reflects its efficiency: it's absolutely unique.
LifeAir IonFlow has a simple, transparent form that feels at home in any environment - a perfect balance between blending in and standing out. It offers consumers a stylish alternative to industrial looking air purifiers. The IonFlow 50 is shaped by award winning designer Michael Malmborg. His internationally acclaimed work has been published in more than 70 design media, including a 4 minute profile on CNN.
LifeAir was founded in 2004 in Stockholm, Sweden, through a joint venture between Swedish Vital Alir and Swiss Purocell. This constellation forms a solid foundation based on more than 25 years of experience within air cleaning. The company controls two patented technologies, IonFlow and CellFlow. This revolutionary technological tool box creates invincible possibilities to quality applications that will improve indoor air quality in environments like households, offices and schools as well as laboratories, high-tech industry, food production and entire buildings.
LifeAir stands for innovation, quality and design. Through extensive and ongoing research, they work to develop efficient, functional and well-designed applications. LifeAir has established successful distribution in Europe, Asia and North America and is now working on development of new innovative and stylish products whilst growing larger on every market.