Green Foods Matcha Green Tea - 5.5 oz (156 g)
A single serving of Green Foods Matcha Green Tea contains 10 to 15 times the overall nutrients and 100 times more antioxidants compared to traditional green, white, black, rooibos and yerba mate teas. Green Foods Matcha Green Tea is exceptionally potent because of the tea's full potential by using the entire leaf. When tea is brewed, the water is only able to extract a small fraction of the nutrients while the rest remain in the leaves.
Green Foods Matcha Green Tea provides an ORAC of 1,774 units in one single serving. As a result, daily consumption of Green Foods Matcha Green Tea may help to strengthen the immune system by safely protecting against free radicals and terminating their damaging effects. Out of the many antioxidants found in Green Foods Matcha Green Tea, there is a special class known as catechins. Within those catechins, there is the powerful and most abundant, EGCG, only found in green tea. EGCG may have therapeutic benefits in treating many disorders. ORAC is a measurement accepted by the USDA for measuring antioxidant capacity of foods. The higher the ORAC value, the more capable that food is of fighting free radicals and diseases and slowing the aging process.
Buddhist monks have enjoyed the relaxation properties of matcha for many years and continue to use it for meditating. Green Foods Matcha Green Tea contains high concentrations of L-theanine, an amino acid known to help relax the mind, improve cognition and mood while reducing physical and mental stress.
Green Foods' special processing of the matcha plants provides the leaves with high levels of chlorophyll. Chlorophyll is a powerful detoxifier that helps eliminate toxins, chemicals and heavy metals from the body.
Green Foods Matcha Green Tea is exclusively grown in Japan by local farmers who cultivate it by traditional methods used for over 800 years. Weeks prior to harvest, farmers cover the plants to protect them from sunlight. This important step helps to increase the chlorophyll levels and turns the leaves dark green. Once it is time to harvest, farmers gently pick the leaves, entirely by hand, and sort them by grade. Ceremonial grade is the highest grade; only the youngest and highest quality leaves are chosen. After sorting, all of the coarse fibers and stems are removed to prepare the leaves for grinding. Green Foods Matcha Green Tea leaves are ground on a stone mill which produces a uniquely shaped powder molecule and contributes to the mild and smooth taste of our product.
Green Foods' Story
Perfectly Balanced Green Nutrition
Green Foods Corporation, founded by pharmacological researcher Yoshihide Hagiwara, M.D. in 1979 is an industry leader who is dedicated to improving human health and well-being. Green Foods believes that the best way to nourish the body with the nutrients it requires for good health is with natural, organic and bioavailable products. Their products are natural dietary supplements that offer the nutrients found in fresh grasses, fruits, vegetables, herbs and other nutrient rich whole foods and are made by their own award-winning juicing and spray-drying process. They contain a natural balance of vitamins, minerals, amino acids and phytochemicals that work together synergistically to give the daily nutrition needed to develop a strong foundation for good health.
For over 40 years, Green Foods has been the world-wide leader in the green foods category. To date, their products have been sold in 52 countries throughout the world. Their goals for the future are to continue to spread the benefits of barley to new countries, while reinforcing their commitment to the environment, to their customer’s wellbeing, and to Dr. Hagiwara’s original mission.
Dr. Hagiwara's Mission:
- "We devote ourselves to overcoming disease and helping to bring about a healthy, prosperous and peaceful world."
- "We hold the leading position in our industry by originating and developing superior products."
- "We maintain an organization of skilled, talented and highly motivated people who share these goals and work together loyally, cooperatively and courteously."
- "We find happiness by understanding our role in society, being constantly aware of our responsibilities, and appreciating the contributions we are able to make."
- "We explore our dreams and utilize our creativity to the fullest, as we work to advance the spiritual, as well as the physical well-being of the world."
Green Foods Founder, Yoshihide Hagiwara M.D.
Dr. Hagiwara, a world-renowned scientist, inventor, and entrepreneur, graduated from Kumamoto University in Japan as a research pharmacologist. Early in his career, he developed over 200 highly successful products, becoming the owner of a leading Japanese pharmaceutical company. In developing those products, Dr. Hagiwara experimented and handled many chemicals and soon realized their harmful effects.
After suffering from several health issues he attributed to the abundance of chemicals used in modern medicine, Dr. Hagiwara turned to a natural, nutritional approach to health and devoted his life to develop the best natural products available. His research of more than 150 types of plants, including grasses, herbs, vegetables, and fruits, led him to discover nearly 40 years ago that young barley was “one of the most nutritionally balanced foods in nature.”
In order to capture and protect the delicate nutrients and enzymes in freshly harvested young barley grass, he developed and patented a unique juice extraction and spray-dry process that earned him Japan's prestigious Science and Technology Award. This process makes possible our powdered, nutrient-rich Green Magma, first developed in Japan in 1969.
Dr. Hagiwara’s Career Milestones
- 1949: Bachelor's Degree in Pharmacology, Kumamoto University.
- 1949: Founded Hagiwara Pharmacy in Japan.
- 1952: Established Yamashiro Pharmaceutical Co., Japan.
- 1960: Doctor of Medicine, Tokushima University, Japan.
- 1968: Established Japan Pharmaceutical Development Co., Ltd.
- 1971: Established Japan Natural Foods Co., Ltd., President.
- 1973: Established Oita Factory in Japan.
- 1975: Awarded the Invention Encouragement Award in Japan.
- 1976: Founded the Green and Health Association in Japan.
- 1976: Published Green Barley Essence, a best-selling book.
- 1978: Established Development and Sales Co., Ltd., Japan.
- 1979: Director of the Research Institute of Health Foods of Japan.
- 1979: Established Green Foods Corporation in the United States.
- 1980: Established the Hagiwara Institute of Health.
- 1982: Lifetime Dedication to Pharmaceutical Industry Award presented by the Governor of Osaka, Japan.
- 1987: Director General of Science and Technology Agency Award for developing the barley juice powder process.
- 1988: Established YH Products Corporation to manufacture in the United States.
- 1991: Established a research partnership with the Environmental Toxicology Department, University of California at Davis, California.
- 1993: Established Hagiwara Institute of Health in Kobe, Japan's largest privately-funded cancer research facility.
- 1995: Received a Special Award from the Brazilian Government for his many contributions to world health and welfare.
Preventative Tips to Avoid Cold and Flu
Sick again? Each year Americans suffer from one billion colds, making the cold virus the most common infectious disease in the U.S. Typically adults have two colds each year, while children may have up to 12!
The body’s immune system is a natural and powerful defense team against internal rogue cells and potentially harmful invaders – detrimental bacteria and viruses. So, when human defenses are down, (i.e. the immune system is not getting the rest and the nourishment of specific enzymes and nutrients, humans are more fragile and susceptible to colds and flu.
If you find you’re almost always well, then good news – your immune system is working effectively! Just because you are exposed to the cold virus does not mean you’ll catch the cold. If the immune system is working at its best it should be quite easy for you to fend off the virus without ever getting sick.
On the other hand, today’s average diet and stressful lifestyle can deplete a body of the vital raw material that it needs to do its job, weakening the immune system and potentially leading to illness. Common contributing factors are:
- Eating too much sugar
- Not getting enough rest
- Using insufficient strategies to address emotional stressors
- Vitamin D and immune system support deficiencies (see below)
- Fortunately, there are things we can do to strengthen and support our body’s immune system, so we’re less likely to develop a cold or at least not suffer so long.
Washing hands is the #1 prevention for cold and flu! When touching the mouth, eyes, or nose after touching door handles, gas pumps, shaking hands, shared pens, etc. people could be setting themselves up for the sniffles. Cold viruses can live on objects up to three hours! Natural hand sanitizers can help keep hands clean, too.
Preliminary research has shown Vitamin D deficiencies are common – especially during the colder months. Vitamin D is an amazingly effective antimicrobial agent, producing 200 to 300 different antimicrobial agents to that kill bacteria, viruses and fungi. Best source of Vitamin D is sun exposure! If you don’t have access to natural sunlight, then oral vitamin D3 supplements are a good