Mortier Pilon- Do-It-Yourself Fermentatioin Crock- 2 Liters
Mortier Pilon Do-It-Yourself Fermentation Crock provides a specialized, anaerobic fermenting enviroment. Sauerkraut, pickles, kimchi-some of the tastiest staples of a vitamin-rich diet are obtained through fermentation. This versatile, durable glass crock lets you make of all those, and then some-all for a third of the cost of most crocks on the market. This kit has everything you need to start making your own fermented food at home: a durable, cleverly designed fermentation crock that's a third of the price (and weight!) of most crocks on the market, a rewritable label to identify each batch, and a booklet of user-friendly, thoroughly tested recipes to get you started.
- Make Vitamin-Rich Fermented Recipes
- Includes Recipes to Get You Started
- Includes Everything You Need to Get Started
What is fermentation?
There are a few different kinds of fermentation, but Mortier Pilon recipes generally feature lacto-fermentation (think kimchi, sauerkraut, dill pickles, yogurt), which is a process that turns the natural sugars found in food into a special type of acid that is rich in healthy probiotics. This type of fermentation uses salt and an anaerobic environment to kill off any harmful bacteria, and acid to help preserve the food. Interestingly, the types of bacteria that can be harmful to us are very vulnerable to salt, while healthy bacteria, like the type found in greek yogurt, thrive in a salty environment. You might be surprised to learn that Mortier Pilon’s recipes rarely include acid for preservation - that’s because the lacto-fermentation process actually creates acid from natural sugars found in food!
What are the benefits of fermented foods?
From sauerkraut and kimchi to dill pickles, fermented foods offer dozens of benefits: In addition to their delicious taste, fermented foods help to restore the natural balance of your internal flora, stimulate the immune system, stabilize gastric acidity, facilitate the absorption of nutrients and preserve food without losing nutritional value. Plus, with hundreds of recipes for probiotic, healthy fermented foods, you’re sure to discover something you love!
Why use a DIY kit to make homemade ferments?
Although humans have been fermenting food for thousands of years, most of us have lost touch with this traditional art, and a Mortier Pilon kit takes all the stress out of making delicious homemade ferments. It can seem intimidating to try fermentation for the first time, but with Mortier Pilon's beautifully designed equipment and clear instructions you’ll enjoy creating your own homemade ferments!
Fermented Green Dressing Recipe
Fresh cucumbers, bold garlic, zesty scallions and a hint of dill from the pickle brine: this vinaigrette truly has it all. Keep a jar in the refrigerator in the summer - Mortier Pilon guarantees it’ll soon become an inseparable companion to your salads!
- 6 small cucumbers, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 6 green onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp dill pickle brine
- In a food processor, blend cucumbers, onions and garlic together until smooth and well-mixed, adding a little bit of water to thin the mixture as needed. Add in salt and blend some more, then adjust seasoning. Lastly, blend in the brine.
- Transfer the mixture to your Mortier Pilon fermentation jar. Let sit to ferment, covered and at room temperature, for 3 days. When fermentation is complete, transfer to Mortier Pilon mason jars. Serve immediately or keep in the refrigerator.