NOW Foods - Eucalyptus Oil Organic - 1 oz.
Now Foods Organic Eucalyptus Oil is 100% pure and steam distilled. Now Foods Organic Eucalyptus Oil remains a favorite among aromatherapists and casual users alike, based on its strong, woody and medicinal aroma. Popular in many vapor rubs, Now Foods Organic Eucalyptus Oil emits an essence of cleanliness when diffused for aromatherapy.
- Certified Organic
- Eucalyptus globulus
- Aromatherapeutic GC/IR Verified
Fun fact: In the 19th century, eucalyptus trees were called "fever trees," because they destroyed the breeding ground of the malaria mosquito. The tree grows fast, and uses up large amounts of water, thus large amounts of the trees can turn swamp into usable land - and also rid the area of mosquitos in the process.
Centuries ago, the eucalyptus tree was thought to cleanse the environment, so the frail and sickly would choose to live in areas where these fragrant trees grew, hoping for recovery from their ailments. While just living under the trees might not be the cure people hoped for, the tree does indeed offer healing. The Australian Aborigines applied crushed eucalyptus leaves to wounds to promote healing. They also used eucalyptus leaves to fight infection and relieve muscular pain. In India, eucalyptus is used to cool fever and fight contagious diseases. Even Western surgeons recognized the benefits of eucalyptus, and have used a eucalyptus solution to wash out operation cavities. Today, eucalyptus is used in many different types of pharmaceutical products, from vapor rubs to cold remedies. Even veterinarians and dentists use eucalyptus in their practices. Its sweet, menthol, woody scent coupled with its proven healing abilities makes it a favorite essential oil in aromatherapy.
Mixes well with: Basil, bergamot, cedarwood, citronella, ginger, grapefruit, juniper, lavender, lemon, lime, marjoram, orange, oregano, peppermint, pine, rosemary, spearmint, tea tree, and thyme.
Parts used: Fresh or partially dried leaves and young twigs.
Safety Information: Avoid during pregnancy. Do not use if diagnosed with high blood pressure or epilepsy. Always use in dilution. Avoid if taking homeopathic remedies, as eucalyptus acts as an antidote against such therapies.
What are essential oils?
Essential Oils are the naturally occurring volatile oils obtained by steam distillation or cold pressing (expression), having the characteristic aroma of the plant part from which it was derived. These 100% pure oils are "neat", meaning they have not been processed, diluted or manipulated in any way with solvents or other additives. Although a particular species of plant harvested and distilled for its essential oil during a particular growing season in a specific region may produce a fragrance that differs from the same species grown in a different region, many of the main chemical markers and physical specifications may be very similar. NOW's citrus fruit essential oils are 100% cold pressed. NOW's other essential oils are typically 100% steam distilled.
Do essential oils have a grading system to tell me which is better?
There is no official grading system that grades essential oils as A, B, C or Therapeutic grade. All NOW 100% pure essential oils are accurately labeled as such and are the highest purity and quality available.
Are NOW essential oils pure or do they have anything added to them?
All of NOW's 100% pure essential oils are labeled as such. They also sell clearly labeled oil blends that are formulated with essential oils or absolute extracts and another oil as a base, usually pure grapeseed oil.
Natural Essential Oils by their very nature will vary slightly from season to season. NOW allows nature to take its course and does not add isolated compounds to the oil to try to standardize the naturally occurring variations of a particular oil. NOW takes both the organoleptic (sight, smell and taste) and chemical properties into account when selecting and testing NOW essential oils.
Steam distillation is a three-step process comprised of the following:
Cold Pressing is a four-step process comprised of the following:
- The plant material is placed on a screen in a steam still. Steam from a boiler is introduced under the screen where the plant material is held. The steam vaporizes the essential oil in the plant material. Both steam and oil vapor rise to a condenser.
- The steam and oil are condensed to a liquid, and fed to a receiving vessel.
- The essential oil rises to the top of the liquid in the receiving vessel. It is separated from the condensed steam liquid (water or hydrosols). The water may be returned to the boiler and reboiled into steam.
- The whole fruit is scarified, which means the peel or rind is mechanically pierced to open the sacs containing the essential oil.
- The whole fruit is then pressed which squeezes out the juice and oil.
- The oil and juice, which contains the peel and other fruit solids, are centrifuged to separate the liquids and solids.
- The oil liquid layer is then separated from the juice liquid layer.
Further physical processing of either the steam distilled or cold pressed essential oils, such as filtering, winterizing, or distillation, may follow to clarify or rectify them by removing any debris, waxes, etc. In no instance is the use of chemical solvents permitted for products labeled as 100% pure essential oils, nor are any chemical additives permitted to enhance (adulterate) the oils. All of NOW’s Essential Oils are produced utilizing only steam distillation or cold pressing with no additional ingredients. NOW also sells a few Essential Oil Blends, which are clearly labeled as diluted with additional oils.
The NOW mission is - To provide value in products and services that empower people to lead healthier lives. NOW Foods is an award-winning and highly respected manufacturer of vitamins, minerals, dietary supplements and natural foods.
In 1948, with the natural food and supplement industry in its infancy, entrepreneur Paul Richard paid $900 for the purchase of Fearn Soya Foods—a Chicago based manufacturer of grain and legume-based products. This began a six-decade legacy of providing health-seeking consumers with high-quality, affordable nutrition products.
History of NOW
In 1968, NOW Foods was founded under the belief that good health was not a luxury available only to the wealthy. For the past forty years, NOW has made it their life's work to offer health food and nutritional supplements of the highest quality, at prices that are fair and affordable to all those who seek them. Today, NOW Foods is one of the top-selling brands in health foods stores, an award-winning manufacturer, a respected advocate of the natural product industry, and a leader in the fields of nutritional science and methods development. And while NOW has grown considerably over the past four decades, one thing has never changed – NOW's commitment to providing products and services that empower people to lead healthier lives.
- Customer Focused and Information Driven - NOW believes that their products, services, and the decisions they make should be primarily influenced by the desires and needs of NOW customers. The decisions that NOW makes should be based on accurate information and therefore NOW places a high value on knowledge and learning within their organization.
- Quality and Value Oriented - Acting in the best interest of NOW customers, NOW endeavors to produce the highest quality products at competitive prices. NOW's first priority is to maintain quality where it counts the most – in the products. NOW's exceptional cost-conscious team of employees then focuses their energies on driving costs down. Nurturing this competency of value drives NOW's ability to provide high quality products at the very best prices.
- Natural is Better - NOW is convinced that natural products are better than their synthetic counterparts and produce better results in human health. Therefore, wherever possible, NOW strives to provide products that contain natural ingredients because they are better for their customers.
NOW's experienced professional and technical staff formulate their products to be of the highest quality. They have a group of biochemists, chemists, nutritionists, and food technologists who review current science and nutritional parameters, and formulate their products to be effective for the intended use. NOW's structure/function claims are based on science for active ingredients, and on nutritional science for nutritional content. Serving sizes are based on doses from clinical studies and other published data. Their contemporary formulas are designed to meet the health and wellness needs of today's consumers. NOW uses ingredients that have been tested for effectiveness in clinical trials and laboratory studies.
The heart of NOW's science is third party independent research. They investigate and review clinical studies and other lab studies conducted on their ingredients and their formulas. Best science is used to support best formulations which lead to best quality.
NOW's products are constantly being tested in clinical trials conducted at top universities and research centers around the country and in various parts of the world. Their products are being tested to determine such things as effectiveness for joint support, quality of life for cancer patients, cardiovascular support, and athletic endurance. Effective products mean health and wellness benefits, which mean quality.
GMP Quality Assured
NOW Foods' GMP certification covers standard operating procedures, employee training, product specifications, expiration dating, vendor certifications and much more. Standard operating procedures include sampling and testing incoming materials according to Now Foods specifications, inspecting manufacturing processes, and testing finished products to specifications. Tests include organoleptic evaluation (human senses such as sight, taste, smell), physical testing of tablets and capsules, chemical identity of ingredients, potency and contamination testing by the company's in-house state-of-the-art analytical testing lab, as well as microbiological testing by NOW Foods' in-house rapid analysis microbiological lab.