Pasta with Tomato and Basil
This linguine dish is absolutely the essence of summer! Use only the freshest basil and summer tomatoes for this glorious dish.
- 5 large tomatoes, chopped (about 5 cups)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt (sea salt if on a corn-free diet*)
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, or more, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup reduced fat mozzarella cheese
- 12 oz linguine, uncooked
- 1/2 cup Parmesan or Romano cheese*, freshly grated
- Pepper to taste
- Place tomatoes, garlic, olive oil, basil, mozzarrella cheese and salt in a medium-sized bowl and toss to mix. This mixture can rest, covered, for an hour or so; the flavor improves with time.
- Cook linguine in a large pot of unsalted water until just al dente. Drain and pour into a serving bowl. Add tomato mixture and toss with linguine. The hot pasta will melt the mozzarrella cheese. Sprinkle grated Parmesan over the top.
* Allergy notes: People following a corn-free diet should avoid iodized salt since it contains dextrose, which should be avoided by those allergic to corn. The egg protein lysozyme is an unlabeled additive in some cheeses. People allergic to eggs should eliminate any cheese in this recipe.
Calories from Fat 85 (29%)
(15%)Total Fat 10g
(16%)Saturated Fat 3g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 5g
Total Carbohydrate 39g
(8%)Dietary Fiber 2g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2016 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Healthnotes, the company.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2017.