Chile con Frijol Negro Tamales
Throughout Mexico you can find both savory and sweet tamales, all delicious, nutritious, ecological little bundles. Our savory tamales made with masa harina (corn flour) and wrapped in soft corn husks make for a beautiful presentation or a meal on the run
- 32 large dried corn husks
- 8 cups masa harina
- 5 1/2 cups water at room temperature
- 4 tsp sea salt
- 1 1/2 cups corn oil
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1 medium pimento, finely chopped
- 2 medium poblano chile peppers, roasted, peeled and chopped
- Sea salt to taste
- 6 Italian tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups refried black beans
- 1/4 lb farmer’s cheese or queso panela, cut into 1/2-inch (1.25cm) cubes* (optional)
- Separate corn husks and soak them in warm water until soft. Remove any dirt and cut one or two husks into long, thin strips to tie the ends of the tamales.
- Combine the masa flour, water, salt, and corn oil and knead until the dough is smooth (about 10 minutes). Cover and set aside.
- Sauté the garlic and onion in olive oil over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add the pimento, chili peppers, and tomatoes and continue to cook, stirring constantly. Season to taste with sea salt and remove from heat.
- On a clean work surface, spread about 1/4 cup (60mL) of the tamale dough up and out from the base of a soft corn husk, leaving about 2 inches on both ends clean. Spoon about 1 Tbsp (15mL) of the tomato-chile mixture into the center of the masa. Place 2 chunks of cheese and a spoonful of beans on top.
- Cover the filling by folding over the sides of the husk, completely encasing the filling. Tie the ends with the softened corn husk strips.
- Arrange the tamales in a large steamer with about 3 inches (8cm) water in the bottom. Cover and steam for 1 hour, occasionally adding hot water to replace what boils off.
- Remove tamales from husks and serve.
* Allergy notes: The egg protein lysozyme is an unlabeled additive in some cheeses. People allergic to eggs should eliminate any cheese in this recipe.
Calories from Fat 299 (50%)
(52%)Total Fat 34g
(29%)Saturated Fat 6g
Polyunsaturated Fat 16g
Monounsaturated Fat 10g
Total Carbohydrate 67g
(11%)Dietary Fiber 3g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2016 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Healthnotes, the company.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2017.