Blueberry Maple Breakfast Bake
Simple yet stunning, this French toast-like dish will make a fabulous centerpiece for your next Sunday brunch.
- 1 loaf (14 ounces) egg challah or other white bread
- 4 oz reduced-fat cream cheese
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries, divided
- 8 eggs, beaten
- 1- 1/2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Cut the bread in 1-inch cubes (makes about 10 cups). Cut cream cheese in small cubes (makes about 1 cup). Grease 9-x-9-2-inch baking dish. Place half of the bread cubes in the dish. Scatter cream cheese cubes and 1 cup of blueberries over the bread. Top with remaining bread cubes and blueberries. In a bowl, combine eggs, milk, maple syrup and butter. Carefully pour over bread mixture. Bake until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, about 1 hour, covering with aluminum foil if edges brown too much.
- To serve, cut in squares. Accompany with additional maple syrup, if desired.
Calories from Fat 146 (45%)
(25%)Total Fat 16g
(32%)Saturated Fat 6g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 4g
Total Carbohydrate 35g
(9%)Dietary Fiber 2g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2016 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Healthnotes, the company.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2017.