Blue Corn-Crusted Rainbow Trout with Papaya-Tomatillo Relish
Heart-healthy trout's delicate flavor is complemented by a silky honey-papaya sauce and a chunky, fresh relish.
- 9 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 24 8 oz rainbow trout fillets
- coarse salt, as needed
- seasoned rice flour, as needed
- blue corn meal, as needed
- neutral vegetable oil, as needed
- 24 chives, for garnish
- 12 cilantro sprigs, for garnish
- Papaya Sauce5 cups coarsely chopped onions
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves
- 3/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 6 cups chopped papaya
- 1/3 cup clover honey
- Papaya Relish3 cups diced papaya
- 1 1/2 cups diced tomatillo
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 2 Tbs chopped jalapeño
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 1/2 Tbs honey
- 1 1/2 Tbs olive oil
- 1 1/2 Tbs cilantro, chopped, fresh
- Whisk together egg and milk; reserve.
- Per serving: Lightly season 2 fillets with salt. Dip into seasoned flour, then egg mixture, and finally corn meal. Fry over medium heat, flesh-side down, about 2 minutes. Turn; cook until trout is just firm, about 1 minute.
- Per serving: Ladle 3 tablespoons warm papaya sauce in the center of the plate, then swirl to distribute. Put trout on sauce; top with 1/4 cup papaya relish. Garnish with chives and cilantro.
- Papaya SauceCook 5 cups coarsely chopped onion in 1/2 cup olive oil until soft; stir in 6 cloves chopped garlic. Deglaze with 3/4 cup red wine vinegar; reduce by half. Stir in 6 cups chopped papaya; cook until soft, adding a tablespoon or two of water, if mixture gets too dry. Purée. Stir in 1/3 cup clover honey; thin, as necessary, with water. Season to taste with salt. Reserve.
- Papaya RelishJust before serving, fold together 3 cups diced papaya, 1 1/2 cups diced tomatillo, 1/2 cup diced red onion, 2 tablespoons chopped jalapeño, 3 cloves finely chopped garlic, 1/3 cup fresh lime juice, 1 1/2 tablespoons each of clover honey, olive oil, and chopped, fresh cilantro. Season to taste with salt. Reserve.
Recipe courtesy of the National Fisheries Institute
Calories from Fat 137 (34%)
(24%)Total Fat 15g
(15%)Saturated Fat 3g
Polyunsaturated Fat 4g
Monounsaturated Fat 7g
Total Carbohydrate 16g
(7%)Dietary Fiber 2g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2016 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Healthnotes, the company.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.