Basic Poached Eggs
For a light lunch or dinner, serve poached eggs atop steamed vegetables, such as tender asparagus. The soft yolk provides a built-in sauce.
- 4 eggs, cold
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat 2–3 inches of water in large saucepan or deep skillet to boiling. Adjust heat to keep liquid simmering gently.
- Break eggs, one at a time, into custard cup or saucer. Holding dish close to surface, slip egg into water.
- Cook eggs until whites are completely set and yolks begin to thicken but are not hard, 3–5 minutes. Do not stir.
- Lift eggs from water with slotted spoon. Drain in spoon or on paper towels. Trim any rough edges, if desired. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
Calories from Fat 40 (62%)
Total Fat 4g
Saturated Fat 1g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 2g
Total Carbohydrate 0g
Dietary Fiber 0g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2017 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Healthnotes, the company.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires December 2017.