Autumn Lamb Stew
Warm yourself on a cold evening with this flavorful stew.
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 lb boneless lamb shoulder, cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 cups (4 ounces) yellow onion, diced into 1/2-inch
- 1 Tbs all purpose flour
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 2 tsp tomato paste
- 3 1/2 cups brown stock (lamb, beef, veal)
- 2 tsp chopped rosemary
- 1 tsp chopped savory
- 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) sweet potato, peeled and diced (3/4-inch)
- 1 cup (4 ounces) celery root, peeled and diced (3/4-inch)
- 1 cup (4 ounces) parsnips, peeled and diced (3/4-inch)
- 1 cup (4 ounces) turnips, peeled and diced (3/4-inch)
- 1 cup olives, whole, pitted
- 2 tsp snipped chives (1/4-inch)
- Heat olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add lamb, season with salt and pepper and cook for 7-8 minutes, stirring occasionally until well-browned. Turn heat down to medium, add onion and continue cooking for 3-4 minutes. Stir in flour and garlic and cook for another 1-2 minutes. Mix in red wine and tomato paste, then whisk in brown stock. Season with rosemary, savory, cinnamon and bay leaf and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Cover, turn down to low and simmer for 45-50 minutes. R
- emove cover, turn heat to medium-high and bring to a boil. Add sweet potato, celery root, parsnips, turnips, and olives. Simmer over medium-low heat for 15-20 minutes until vegetables are cooked through. Top with chives just before serving.
Calories from Fat 129 (34%)
(22%)Total Fat 15g
(15%)Saturated Fat 3g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 4g
Total Carbohydrate 28g
(23%)Dietary Fiber 6g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2016 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Healthnotes, the company.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2017.