Natural Factors - Vitamin D3 5000 IU - 120 Softgels
Vitamin D plays a dual role as both a vitamin and a hormone that stimulates the body to absorb calcium. Vitamin D, calcium, and phosphorus are needed to keep bones strong. Without vitamin D even a diet adequate in calcium will not help as the body needs vitamin D to absorb calcium. People with low vitamin D levels tend to have soft, thin bones, predisposing them to fractures, especially hip fractures. Soft bones can also cause the nagging and unremitting bone pain that many older persons suffer from.
- Aids in the absorption of calcium
- Strengthens bones and may prevent fractures
- Promotes cardiovascular health
- May decrease the risk of multiple sclerosis
Vitamin D supplementation is important because it's hard to get enough during long, dark, northern winters. The elderly have more difficulty synthesizing vitamin D from sunlight, some medications interfere with vitamin D absorption and absorbing calcium which will strengthen bones and prevent fractures.
Vitamin D may be useful in resisting some forms of cancer as well. Breast tissue has receptors for the vitamin D hormone. When cultured outside the body, breast cancer cells do not reproduce as readily and in fact become more normal (differentiate) in the presence of vitamin D. These studies are interpreted as evidence that higher vitamin D levels have an anti-cancer effect on breast cancer cells. There are similar reports concerning prostate cancer and cancer of the large intestine.
Vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol from animal source) is the form found in fish oils and eggs, and is produced by sunlight on human skin. Natural Factors vitamin D3 is derived from sheep wool lanolin.
Natural Factors priority is enhancing people's health.
- They offer more than 300 different formulas available exclusively at natural health stores.
- They are family-owned, Canadian-based business.
- They have produced and sold quality supplements to North Americans for more than 50 years.
- They grow their own herbs, organically and process them fresh from the fields.
- They test and standardize herbs for total quality control.
- Their science team includes medical doctors, naturopathic physicians, researchers and herbalists from around the world.
- They create new, condition-specific formulas that are clinically proven to work.
- Their laboratory facilities comply with Good Laboratory Practices and are among the finest in North America.
- They meet or exceed Canadian Government Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) guidelines and all Health Canada and FDA regulatory requirements
A quality herbal product starts with the highest quality fresh organic plant material. The efficacy of herbal products has always been affected by growing conditions, harvesting, processing and storage. At Factor Farms in beautiful Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada our quality can be guaranteed as we control the entire process from seedling to finished product.
To grow herbs organically no chemical fertilizers, herbicides, fungicides or pesticides are allowed. We use only natural substances that have been approved by the organic industry. You can be assured that the fresh herb extracts contain no traces of unwanted chemical. Even the seed and plant sources are organic.
To be organically certified, certification inspectors work closely with growers to ensure that the organic standards are adhered to. We must keep detailed records of what we use on our farm. Even after harvest, processing is regulated so that no harmful chemicals are used to manufacture the fresh herb extracts.
Local cultivation of medicinal herbs at Factors Farms ensures that the herbs are picked, processed, and extracted at just the right time when the active ingredients are at their peak.
Natural Factor knows that the natural habitats of many herbs are shrinking and that over-harvesting from the wild can endanger native medicinal plant populations. So organic cultivation of herbs is preferred over "wild crafting".