Just Bee Cosmetics 100% Natural Beeswax Lotion Bar Patchouli Geranium - 1.75 oz. (49g)
Just Bee Cosmetics 100% Natural Beeswax Lotion Bar Patchouli Geranium combines beeswax, organic safflower oil, organic coconut oil, and organic jojoba oil with organic meadowfoam and organic evening primrose oil to create a one of a kind waterless lotion bar that locks in moisture all day long. Just Bee Cosmetics 100% Natural Beeswax Lotion Bar Patchouli Geranium is simply crafted in small batches. Use Just Bee Cosmetics 100% Natural Beeswax Lotion Bar Patchouli Geranium on cracked dry hands or coarse rough heals to seal in natural moisture and block dryness.
What makes Just Bee "Bee Friendly?"
Just Bee is committed to supporting and fostering a beekeeping environment that promotes the natural habitat and natural behaviors of bees. "Bees are sensitive, social creatures that have achieved a high degree of harmony and productivity in their colonies. Their social structure is both dynamic and ordered. They are intelligent, and can learn and remember; they can use visual orientation to estimate the distance from a nectar source while in flight. They construct colonies that are worm in the winter and cool in the summer" (The Ecologist, June 2007) They are naturally good at what they do.
For thousands of years, bees have been a crucial part of the human experience. The first man-made homes for bees were small skeps, domes made of clay or straw, which allowed bees to build their hive in a safe, accessible container. However, because there was no way to remove only the honeycomb, the entire hive had to be destroyed each time honey was harvested. To make harvesting less destructive, the top bar hive was invented. This type of hive is made up of several horizontal bars from which the bees build their comb. Several changes later, the bars became movable, which allowed each comb to be inspected or harvested individually. This allowed the beekeeper to preserve each hive, while at the same time, reaping the benefits of the honey, wax, and other great products. Just Bee uses movable top bar hives because this method is more bee friendly.
But then, the demand for honey and a more industrialized harvest method called for a different hive form, the preformed frame-based hive. This is the type of hive you may be familiar with: rectangular frames inside a stack of boxes that are added or removed as the bee keeper sees fit. This "advancement" in beekeeping had several perceived advantages. It standardized many of the areas of beekeeping thus allowing the beekeeper to quickly work many hives. Frames could be "uncapped" can spun to remove honey, then put back in any hive for bees to refill and recap until the process could be repeated. This method has become the model for beekeeping worldwide. Unfortunately, this industrial method causes a number of problems. First and foremost, it changes the relationship between the beekeeper and the bee.
The use of this industrial method forces bees into a hive structure that is unnatural. When an industrial beekeeper wants to expand a frame-based hive, he adds a box, called a super, to the hive that contains performed foundation comb made of either pressed wax or plastic. These jolting additions result in a huge negative impact on the hive. The added surface area is additional space that needs to be guarded and maintained; the bees may not be ready for this large expansion to the hive. Unguarded areas allow parasites and predators a haven within the hive, creating a place for them to gain a foothold and assault the community of bees. When disease and pests attack, the industrial beekeeping mentality is to use harsh chemicals to eliminate the threat to the hive. These chemicals imbed themselves in the wax and stores of the hive and can never be removed. As the wax is reused with each honey cycle, these chemical levels build. The toxic environment created by the chemical residue degrades the overall health of the hive.
Additionally, the use of a preformed foundation only allows bees to create cells of one size. In a natural wild hive, there are cells of many different sizes. Some are for raising new worker bees, some for raising male or drone bees, some for raising queens, and others for storing honey and pollen. Forcing one cell size on the bee colony increases susceptibility to diseases and pests. The industrial attitude toward beekeeping has contributed to many problems in the bee population and in the products that come from this type of hive management.
Colony collapse disorder, American foulbrood disease, mites, and parasitic wax moths are a few of the constant threats to all bees regardless of the method of beekeeping. However, allowing the bees to expand their hives as they choose in a movable top bar hive gives bees the upper hand. This method allows bees to create cells of the correct size at a rate that they can guard and maintain. No chemicals are needed when the beekeeper patiently allows the bees to work naturally not coercing them. With this slower, more in touch method of beekeeping, Just Bee does not need to use smoke to work with bees. Smoking the hive is meant to scare the bees, simulating a fire, tricking the bees into gorging themselves on honey and abandoning the hive. Using smoke on a hive disrupts the bees for hours and leaves residual scents for days that disrupt the bee's delicate pheromone communication and ruins the balance of the hive. Being Bee Friendly isn't just a statement, being Bee Friendly is a conscious effort to change the way of thinking about the bee - human relationship.
At Just Bee, they simply allow their bees to maintain happy, healthy, naturally thriving hives. Then, and only then, will they delicately harvest what is extra.
About Just Bee
Just Bee thoughtfully crafts their products in small batches using carefully chosen ingredients. Subtle natural flavors and scents add an extra dimension of interest and quality that cannot be found in any other product. Just Bee is committed to producing the highest quality natural products. They choose to use only Bee Friendly hive management techniques and only work with ingredients from suppliers that share their vision. Just Bee works in harmony with nature to create products you can feel good using.
What Makes Just Bee Different?
- Just Bee Cosmetics is a small, family-owned and operated company.
- They are committed to a natural and chemical-free beekeeping environment. They maintain their own Bee Friendly hives, and use their wax in Just Bee products.
- They want to build transparent, one-on-one relationships with small, quality retailers.
- They welcome and solicit input from their retailers for continuous product and presentation innovation.
- They make and package all their products in small, thoughtfully crafted batches and do not outsource any product to a larger company for production or buy bulk bases and repackage as their own.
- Just Bee offers natural products with no artificial fillers, smoothers, preservatives, or stabilizers. They are free from Propylene Glycol, Minerals Oils, Parabens, Laureth Sulfate, EDTA, and Gluten.
- A primary ingredient in Just Bee's products is beeswax in its natural state. They gather wax locally from their carefully managed hives as well as wild sources. They do not buy their wax from industrial processors, where beeswax is simply a by-product of pollination or honey production, then extensively refined.
- Ingredients that are not readily available in their local area are sourced from suppliers that provide products as close to their natural state as possible. They use only high quality organic oils and do not use inexpensive filler oils such as olive or cotton seed, or any oil which has been hot processed or produced using a chemical solvent.
- Just Bee's flavors and fragrances are subtle and provide just the right amount of interest while not overwhelming the senses.
- Just Bee strives to offer longer product shelf life. Their high beeswax content provides natural preservative properties and actively works to maintain freshness.
- Each ingredient, each batch, each product is carefully filled and quality checked. They work in harmony with nature to create product you can feel good about using.
- Just Bee's packaging is simple, attractive and provides product information that is easy for the consumer to understand.
- Unbleached recycled kraft paper is used on many products and product-related items, including the product display box. The kraft matte finish distinguishes Just Bee from other brands that use plastic glossy labels. The natural feel of the paper patinas after the product is purchased and "loved".
- Many Just Bee products feature direct to container printing which reduces waste and increases packaging quality.
- Just Bee specifically chooses packaging made from durable materials that can be repurposed after their initial use. Jars and tins can live on as bud vases, soap dispensers or any number of continued uses.