Natural Beauty Bar Relaxing by Tom's of Maine
Tom's of Maine Natural Beauty Bar Relaxing - 2 x 4 oz. (113g)
Tom's of Maine Natural Beauty Bar Relaxing is clinically proven to maintain skin's moisture. Relax your senses - without the artificial fragrances or synthetic ingredients found in many conventional brands. Tom's of Maine Natural Beauty Bar Relaxing combines calming lavender with other soothing botanical oils and is enriched with premium moisturizing olive oil and natural vitamin E to leave your skin clean and fresh. Tom's of Maine Natural Beauty Bar Relaxing works with the stream of your shower for a naturally relaxing experience. A natural retreat from daily stress - without the artificial or synthetic ingredients that you don't want on your skin today, or in your world tomorrow.
What Tom's of Maine Doesn't Use In Their Products
- No animal testing or animal ingredients
- Tom's share every ingredient, its purpose, and its source
- Sustainable practices are a priority in every aspect of their business
- No artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives
- Tom's strive to maximize recycled content and recyclability or their packaging.
Because Tom's do not add artificial colors, the appearance of our products may vary from batch to batch.
Artificial flavors or fragrances
Tom's do not use any synthetic flavors, colors, or fragrances. Tom's customers prefer the fresh, natural taste and smell of herbs, fruits, and flowers (or no fragrance at all!).
Artificial preservatives (EDTA, formaldehyde, parabens, etc.)
Natural preservatives work as well or better than artificial alternatives. For example, we use rosemary to help guard freshness in our soaps.
Tom's support of non-animal-testing models also includes the belief that Tom's doesn't need to use animal ingredients to create effective products. Just one example: glycerin, used in toothpastes and soaps, is often made from animal ingredients, but their is vegetable-based.
Ethylene glycol can be found in hair care products and facial/body washes as a fragrance ingredient, a solvent, and as an aid in controlling viscosity. Tom's use water and ingredients derived from corn, coconut and palm kernel oils, and sea salt to control consistency in our body washes, and natural fragrances in all of our products.
Aside from our liquid hand soap and body wash, which contain wheat protein, all other Tom's of Maine products are gluten-free. Tom's do not use alcohol, casein or caseinate, MSG, wheat, oats, barley, rye, malt, spelt, kamut, HPP, or HVP. None of our flavor oils are grain-distilled. Tom's do not use flour of any kind in their manufacturing process for conveyor belts or for any other purpose, and their containers are not dusted with flour before filling.
Grapefruit seed extract
Studies have shown that natural preparations of this ingredient do not show antimicrobial activity; instead, it is commercial preparations that include synthetic antimicrobials or preservatives that show antimicrobial activity due to those artificial ingredients. Tom's instead use hops for their natural antimicrobial action in their deodorants. (Armando, C., Maythe, S., Beatriz, N. P. Antioxidant activity of grapefruit seed extract on vegetable oils. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture 1997 Dec:77(4):463-467.)
Parabens are used as fragrance ingredients or as preservatives. Tom's rely instead on natural preservatives and ingredients.
Tom's do not use bleach or peroxide in their whitening toothpastes; Tom's instead use silica from sand to clean your teeth and create a whiter appearance.
Phthalates are used to improve the performance of some personal care/cosmetic products (for example, to fix fragrance in a formula), but Tom's have always avoided this class of ingredient.
Saccharin or other artificial sweeteners
Many conventional toothpastes contain artificial sweeteners; our customers prefer a less-sweet natural flavor. Tom's use natural sweeteners such as xylitol and rely on the naturally delicious tastes of fruits and herbs to flavor our toothpastes.
Tom's products do not contain the ingredient triclosan.
Why They Do What They Do
It's a worthwhile challenge to run a responsible business. Their Reason for Being and their Stewardship Model work together to keep them focused on what really matters - serving your personal care needs and the needs of your community.
"Every well-run business needs strategic goals - we just believe that those goals need to include things like sustainability as well as profitability. We're guided by two foundational documents: a philosophical statement, our Reason for Being, which inspires our strategy; and a practical tool, our Stewardship Model, which forms the basis for out everyday decision-making." -Tom O'Brien, Tom's of Maine CEO
Reason for Being
To serve their customers' personal care needs with imaginative science from plants and minerals; To inspire all those they serve with a mission of responsibility and goodness; To empower others by sharing their knowledge, time, talents, and profits; and To help create a better world by exchanging their faith, experience, and hope.
In 1988, after 18 years in business, the Tom's of Maine community realized that they needed to formalize their values and beliefs into foundational documents to help guide the future growth and management of their company. Led by Tom and Kate Chappell, their cofounders, the community met and grappled with such thorny philosophical concepts as ethics, science, legality, emotion, and morality and how it all applied to running a sustainable business eventually emerging with their Reason for Being.
Tom's of Maine Statement of Beliefs
- They believe that both human beings and nature have inherent worth and deserve our respect.
- They believe in products that are safe, effective, and made of natural ingredients.
- They believe that their company and their products are unique and worthwhile, and that they can sustain these genuine qualities with an ongoing commitment to innovation and creativity.
- They believe that they have a responsibility to cultivate the best relationships possible with their coworkers, customers, owners, agents, suppliers and community.
- They believe that different people bring different gifts and perspectives to the team and that a strong team is founded on a variety of gifts.
- They believe in providing employees with a safe and fulfilling work environment and an opportunity to grow and learn.
- They believe that competence is an essential means of sustaining their values in a competitive marketplace.
- They believe their company can be financially successful while behaving in a socially responsible and environmentally sensitive manner.
- They believe that they have an individual and collective accountability to the Company's beliefs, mission, destiny, and performance goals.
- Tom's of Maine destiny
To become the trusted partner in natural care among consumers with whom they share common values.
Tom's of Maine Mission
- To serve their customers by providing safe, effective innovative natural products of high quality.
- To build relationships with their customers that extend beyond product usage to include full and honest dialogue, responsiveness to feedback, and the exchange of information about products and issues.
- To respect, value, and serve not only their customers but also their coworkers, owners, agents, suppliers, and community; to be concerned about and contribute to their well-being; and to operate with integrity so as to be deserving of their trust.
- To provide meaningful work, fair compensation, and a safe, healthy work environment that encourages openness, creativity, self-discipline, and growth.
- To contribute to and affirm a high level of commitment, skill, and effectiveness in the work community.
- To recognize, encourage, and seek a diversity of gifts and perspectives in their worklife.
- To acknowledge the value of each person's contribution to their goals and to foster teamwork in their tasks.
- To be distinctive in products and policies which honor and sustain our natural world.
- To address community concerns, in Maine and around the globe, by devoting a portion of their time, talents, and resources to the environment, human needs, the arts, and education.
- To work together to contribute to the long-term value and sustainability of their company.
- To be profitable and successful while acting in a socially and environmentally responsible manner.
- To create and manage a system of accountability which holds each person in the Company's employment or governance responsible for individual behavior and personal performance consistent with the Company's Beliefs, Mission, Destiny, Performance Goals, and Individual Work Plans.
Stewardship Model: natural, sustainable and responsible defined
Their Stewardship Model sets out the standards they strive to uphold with every decision they make, every single day. Whether they're looking for a new ingredient supplier, making choices about what kind of packaging to use, or writing communications materials (to name just a few of the everyday things that happen around here!), they review the Stewardship Model and make sure that their decision honors it.
Standards for Natural
- Sourced in nature
- Simple and understandable ingredients
- Free of artificial preservatives, colors, sweeteners, flavors, fragrances, and other additives
- Free of animal ingredients
- Made of high-quality ingredients
- Subject to limited processing
- Purposeful in the system of ingredients
- Promote organically grown ingredients wherever possible and practical
Standards for Sustainable
- Contribute to environmental and economic sustainability
- Socially conscious
- Environmentally friendly products and packaging
- Establish safety and efficacy in their products and ingredients without testing on animals
- Renewable and recyclable resources
- Promote sustainable harvesting practices
- Respectful of basic human rights
- Respectful of the rights of indigenous people
- Accountable to present and future generations
Standards for Responsible
- Sufficient research conducted
- Honesty about where and how ingredient, product, and packaging was sourced
- Honesty about claims related to product/ingredient/formulation
- Affordable for consumer
- Affordable for company
- Build value and equity for company
- Respect for the standards of the Food and Drug Administration
- Respect for the standards of the Federal Trade Commission
- Respect for the standards of organizations (American Dental Association) with whom they have chosen to partner
When Tom and Kate first started out, this brand-new idea of natural products and sustainable companies seemed a little crazy to some. In the years since, though, more and more people have begun to believe, like they do, that nature can provide many of the health benefits we need - and that companies should minimize their environmental impact while working towards positive change in our communities. Together, they've really started to make a difference!
From Tom and Kate's Family to Yours
In 1968, Tom and Kate Chappell left Philadelphia, where Tom worked for an insurance company, and moved to rural Kennebunk, Maine. As part of their goal to simplify their lives, they sought out natural, unprocessed foods and , unadulterated products.
Unable to find natural personal care options for themselves and their children, in 1970 Tom and Kate decided to create and sell their own. They began with a $5,000 loan from a friend and the philosophy that their products would not harm the environment.
From this small start, Tom's of Maine grew and developed into a different kind of company, one based on the belief that people and nature deserve respect. Over the years their product line moved from non-phosphate laundry detergent to natural personal care products such as the first natural toothpaste (1975) and deodorant (1976).
They've grown in size and in 2006, they became a part of the Colgate-Palmolive Company. But their simple, direct approach hasn't changed one bit: they listen to what their customers want (and don't want) in their products, they learn how it can be done, and they respond with effective natural, sustainable and responsible solutions.