Episencial Babytime! Massage Serum 3.4 oz.
Baby Time by Episencial Massage Serum is a pure, nourishing massage oil to help you enjoy an ultra-gentle all-over massage. The Episencial Infant Oil supports skin barrier properties and helps to reduce inflammation and irritation with a high linoleic acid content. It is especially designed to use for touch therapy on preterm infants, newborns and kids of all ages. Baby Time Massage Serum contains no additives, parabens, phenoxyethanol, harsh preservatives, EDTA, SLS, Synthetic Fragrances, Phthalates or Gluten.
- Uses: Nourishing massage + hydrating skin oil
- Benefits: designed to enhance skin immunity and infant health through touch
- Safety: #1 organic massage oil, made with solar power in a pharmaceutical grade lab with food grade ingredients, doctor recommended, EWG top-rated for safety
- Smells Like: Unscented and warm, like a gentle hug
- Feels Like: Silky, healing, and loving
- Actively Healthy Ingredients: organic sunflower, coconut, flaxseed oils
How To Provide a Safe and Healthy Baby Wash in 10 Simple Steps:
- Pick a place! Whether it is your kitchen sink or an infant bathtub, pick one and set up your supplies before you start.
- Talk through the process with your baby. Let her know what you are doing as you are doing it, and more importantly what she will be experiencing. Babies begin to understand much earlier than most parents think, so sharing your words is a great gift. She will learn to enjoy and anticipate the bathing process with happiness.
- After you fill the tub and use your wrist to check temperature (which should be about body temp) then gently place your baby in the tub and begin from her feet up to give her body time to adjust to the water and the process.
- When you finish her front, use one hand as a gentle cup for face and neck and turn her over to wash the back-side of your baby with your available hand.
- Don't forget your baby's skin folds - particularly behind the ears, around the neck, under arms, and in the diaper area. A buildup of milk, formula, skin cells, and other substances can cause the skin to crack and become more susceptible to infection.
- Save his face and hair for last as babies lose a great deal of heat from their heads. Episencial Playful Wash is a baby was that is perfect for both body and hair.
- Have her towel spread across your chest so you can bring her to you when you are finished washing baby. Wrap her up to cuddle and quickly (but gently) dry his body. Body heat is lost 5x faster through water than it is through air, which means her body temperature can drop quickly while your baby is wet or damp after bath.
- Remember, he will be slippery so position your hands under his arms and hold on tight (but not too tight).
- Don't forget the massage! Even a few minutes of post-bath time baby massage with an organic vegetable oil can help increase her weight and support brain development as well as fine and large motor skills. Massage also provides a beautiful opportunity to bond.
- Through the whole process of washing your baby, stay within arms reach! Don't lose focus for even a second by answering the door, phone, or need for the toilet.
The Vivid Green Shopper: How To Make Actively Healthy Purchases For Your Family & Planet
Does Green Cost More?
While parents should expect to pay more for high quality organic ingredients, in the long run, they shouldn't have to pay a premium for green manufacturing. The cost of using the best quality, organic ingredients is always higher than fillers and ingredients with toxic byproducts. The cost for a manufacturer to convert to green production can be high in the beginning, but those up-front expenses are recouped and eventually the company can see savings over time. For example, using alternative energy, like solar power, in production can save up to $1 million per year on electricity. This cost savings can be reflected in the price you pay for a product that helps you contribute to the health of the planet.
What does green look like?
Parents with green values should know that not all companies who look green truly are green. Some manufacturers simply "greenwash" their products: they have some trendy ecoterminology on the label and come with a premium price tag. Maybe these companies have adopted some green manufacturing standards, but that doesn't mean these products benefit the environment. Check out the list of ingredients - if it is loaded with synthetic chemicals and fragrance, it probably isn't good for you or the planet. So, be vigilant and make your dollars count; support companies that truly advocate for the planet in spirit and action.
What is green value?
Green products leave a smaller footprint on the environment and green value is obtained by purchasing fairly priced products that not only support the protection of the planet, they support the health of your family, and your baby's body - both directly with organic and healthy ingredients, and indirectly by using fewer fossil fuels, less disposable packaging, and more sustainable business practices. The good news is that due to consumer demand for green value, more manufacturers are making a commitment to the Vivid Green Generation.
How can you identify green?
Natural materials are the minimum level of commitment you should expect from a company making green claims. This list offers guidance on Vivid Green buying:
- Find Recycled, Reusable and Minimal Packaging! Excessive packaging adds unnecessary cost and is terrible for the planet. Look for products that use recycled, recyclable or certified sustainable (e.g., FSC) packaging, or boxes and plastics that are durable enough to reuse.
- Avoid Fragrances! The word "fragrance" in personal care products can indicate upwards for 4000 chemicals that are not required to be listed on an ingredient label. Synthetic fragrances are used to make goods such as fabrics and cleaning supplies smell more "appealing." These fragrances are usually generated with a mix of chemicals including benzene, ammonia, ethylene glycol, and other petroleum based synthetics that are known toxins and carcinogens.
- Look for High Levels of Organics! Many common ingredients have pesticide/fungicide residues, which can be absorbed by the body. Organic ingredients are natural more potent antioxidants - as much as 30% more - which means the free radicals the bodies are exposed to (and produce) are offset better and faster by choosing organic ingredients.
- Ask about Alternative Energy and Paperless Operations! Companies pushing for and using solar or wind power, and using paperless protocols for invoicing, marketing, and communications are proactively helping to preserve resources, health, and the beauty of the planet.
- Avoid Petrochemicals! Mineral oil, petroleum jelly and paraffin wax are examples of petrochemicals. The production and disposal of these ingredients is damaging to the environment and they many contain toxic byproducts like 1-4 dioxane.
- Soy & Vegetable Based Inks! Inks and dyes are made from "D&C pigments," have synthetic coloring agents made from coal tar. Most of them are carcinogenic. Products made with D&C pigments contain heavy metal salts, which can be absorbed through skin to cause organ sensitivity and irritation. They are also found in the earth and water after they have been disposed of, where they can remain for decades as a source of toxic pollution.
- Look for locally made! Imported products require massive amounts of fossil fuels adding to the cost of goods that are frequently no better than what you can find locally. US Policies regarding heavy metals and other toxins are not internationally recognized or enforced.
- Buy Low/No VOC Painted Products! Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) are emitted from paint and pressboard as gasses that can harm eyes, nose, throat, liver, kidneys, and cause nausea, headaches and loss of coordination. Common VOCs include formaldehyde, ammonia, and acetone. High VOC pain is the leading cause of indoor air pollution, which, in most homes, is worse than outdoor air pollution.
- Choose rubber, not foam! Foam is made from a petroleum byproduct, which is not sustainable. It retains bacteria that feed on common fire-retardants and it off-gasses skin irritants and toxins that have been associated with nausea, dizziness and respiratory irritation, and is even linked to SIDS. Rubber is a great natural alternative that is free from PVC, phthalates, chlorides, dioxins and furans.
- Seek out natural materials! Natural fabric materials like wool, cotton, silk, hemp, bamboo, and linen are better for the body because they are breathable and better for planet due to safer production and disposal. Rayon is a good synthetic choice because its from cellulose, not petrochemicals like polyester, acrylic and nylon. Episencial is committed to making animal friendly, all natural products packed with organic ingredients that have not been tested on animals, ever. Episencial makes vegan products for babies and kids with the intent of helping parents make actively healthy choices for their families and planet. Episencial has always formulated and manufactured without any testing on animals.
- Sunny Sunscreen, Protective Face Balm and Nurturing Balm use the water-resistant protection of beeswax and the Soothing Cream is formulated with a lysate from yogurt culture for probiotic benefits. The other products are 100% vegan. They look for animal friendly opportunities in every aspect of the operation, and offer products at very affordable prices so everyone can benefit. Episencial's vegan products include Playful Foaming Wash, Better Body Butter and Sweet Dreams Bubble Bath.
What is unique about Episencial?
Babytime! By Episencial is the only company to make baby-safe, all-natural skincare products that support skin immunity and help soothe common skin conditions, like eczema, cradle cap and common dehydration. With clinically effective formulas designed to support the health and development of both the skin and body, Babytime! By Episencial provides a protective barrier to insulate vulnerable skin, offset environmental contaminants and help keep children healthy!
At what age do you recommend using Episencial products?
Babytime! By Episencial products are perfect for sensitive skin at any age - from 0 to 100! As always, check with your doctor before you use any products on your infant.
Why is it important to use organic products in skincare products?
Episencial uses organic ingredients because they are better for the environment, but also because they are better for the skin. Organic ingredients have more nutritional value with greater antioxidant capabilities than their non-organic counterparts. This is important because of the skin's transdermal properties. Many nutrients applied to the skin are absorbed into the bloodstream and distributed throughout the body. Unfortunately, the same is true for harmful chemicals that are remarkably prevalent in personal care products - even those marketed for children. So, as a parents, you can make well-considered choices about personal grooming products for your children in order to help protect them and the planet from environmental pollution.
What does "made with organic ingredients" really mean?
All Episencial products are at least 50% organic. Some are a much higher percentage of organic. What is important is that the right ingredients are organic. Some plants, like thyme for example, are very hardy in nature and don't require the use of pesticides and fumigants. Others, like peaches, are sweet and delicious and often do require insecticides and such for commercial products. To keep the products affordable, they have selected the ingredients with the highest likelihood of contamination and specifically chosen organic alternative so
to avoid potential contaminants. Also, the natural condition of organic crops is that they are not as reliable as those that are grown under the techniques of mainstream agribusiness. If a crop goes bad due to infection or weather, they have to seek other sources for that particular raw ingredient. So, the actual organic ingredients may vary slightly from batch to batch depending upon what was available in an organic form at the time of production.
Do Episencial products contain preservatives?
No, Episencial does not use preservatives in any of their products. They never use parabens, phenoxyethanol, or other unhealthy chemical preservatives that may act like estrogens in the body or donate toxins such as formaldehyde and 1-4 dioxane. Episencial's formulas include a patented blend of botanicals to keep the products fresh and stable for upwards of two years. This all-natural approach to product freshness includes glyceryl caprylate (made from grapeseed, palm nut or coconut) and natural fruit esters. Because of their decades of experience working with natural ingredients, they know that Capryl Hydroxamic Acid, Caprylyl Glycol, Ethylhexylglycerin - primarily used as moisturizers and humectants in the products - also work, in this exclusive formula, to naturally and safety stabilize the product; in effect "preserving" the product without the use of synthetic preservatives they know to be unnecessary and potentially unhealthy.
Do Episencial products expire?
The products are stable for at least two years from the manufacturing date and they manufacture the products many times each year to be sure they are always fresh. That means you always have more than a year and a half for any given product!
Have Episencial products been clinically tested - specifically the Soothing Cream?
Episencial performs all the standard testing that is done by skincare companies, especially for safety and effectiveness. The Episencial Soothing Cream was formulated around 2 generations of experience treating problem skin and 7 years specifically researching the developing skin type of babies and kids. Episencial is guided by the principals of creating a healthy and healing environment for the skin so that it is empowered to heal itself. As you probably know, there is no single known cause of eczema, which technically makes it impossible to "cure" at this time. What can be done is properly support the dermis to stimulate the healing responses and help prevent reoccurrence. This is not a product for open eczema wounds, it helps prevent and can help bring the skin back to health before the sore phase of eczema. They call on ingredients that have been used for thousands of years to support eczematic skin such as Neem Oil from the Ayurvedic traditions and probiotics to help restore the ecosystem of the skin. The Soothing Cream has brought relief to many who suffer from Eczema, though Episencial makes no medical claims around the the product.
What additives do you use in the bath products as to not irritated the eyes?
Episencial does not use additives to make the products non-irritating. The ingredients themselves are so mild and high quality that they simply don't irritate the skin or eyes.
Why do your products contain so many ingredients? Isn't fewer ingredients better?
The length of the ingredients is a positive! It is a feature of the products as those ingredients are beneficial to the developing and sensitive skin types. Episencial specifically select actively healthy ingredients - as many of them as possible, while still keeping the price affordable.
Why do Episencial product smell differently from time to time?
Because they work exclusively with all natural ingredients there are, by nature, variances in the aroma of products - it is part of the art of working with natural ingredients. While they test to ensure that each of their products meets stringent standards for safety and efficacy; because they do not use synthetic perfumes or fragrances there isn't exactly a "smell test." Each batch may be slightly - and usually unnoticably - different.
What is the real deal with PEG-120 Methyl Glucose Dioleate?
The ingredient PEG-120 Methyl Glucose Dioleate (MGD) is a completely safe and natural raw material that they use for its thickening properties. This PEG-120 is produced from renewable resources (sugar, not petroleum) so it is not at risk of contamination with 1,4 dioxane. It offers and eye irritation score of 0 (zero) and fantastic safety records. Without a thickening ingredient all cleansing products would be very watery and pour too easily out of the bottle, causing spills, wasted product and frustrated kids and parents. Most companies use a petroleum based thickener like PEG-150 Distearate, which Episencial would never use. They wouldn't use PEG-150 (or MGD sourced from petroleum) because it can damage the skin and is not at all eco friendly. A potential risk that the EWG lists for PEG-120 is ethylene oxide (EO) contamination. Consequently, they take added precautions in the purification of the products and employ additional testing measures to ensure the products are safe from contaminants. They are very picky about raw materials and require extensive safety testing, as well as verification of quality and claims.
When is my baby's skin likely to be dry?
Recent skin maturation studies show that over 60% of children have dry skin. The signs of dryness are not always evident to the naked eye, but because children's skin is physiologically less developed than adult skin, it absorbs and loses moisture more easily than mature skin. Dryness leads to increased incidence of eczema, rash, and cracking and can open the body up to increased infection and reduced immune efficiency. Babies who travel by airplane or live in cold and windy climates are most at risk for excessive dryness.
How can I help soothe my baby's dry skin?
To protect from occasional, regular dry skin, Episencial suggests the Better Body Butter. For dry patches, the Protective Face Balm, SPF 6 is the best! Dry skin is more vulnerable to sun damage, so it makes sense to use a low level SPF all the time on dry skin.
How can I avoid eczema breakouts on my baby?
For eczema - makes sure the cleaning products in the home are non-toxic (no bleach, ammonia, or artificial fragrances). Use fragrance free laundry detergent. Eliminate personal grooming products that contain fragrance and preservatives and use those that are from natural sources. Lastly, eliminate processed foods from the diet (e.g., crackers). Instead, replace those foods with more fruits and vegetables like carrot sticks, cut apples, red pepper "flowers" and cucumber sticks.
How can I help treat eczema breakouts on my baby?
First, wash your baby with mild, non-irritating Playful Foaming Wash, follow with a layer of Snuggly lotion or Soothing Cream. Finally, protect baby's skin with Cheeky Salve, Nurturing Balm or Sunny Sunscreen.
What causes diaper rash, and how can I get rid of it?
The cause of diaper rash is multi-faceted. Essentially, baby's bum is a little growing zone and and provide a great place for bacteria to grow. If any kind of harmful bacteria or fungi gets a start, it can be very difficult to get rid of. A rash is basically indicative of an imbalance in bacteria. So, to rebalance, give the bum as much airtime, sans diaper, as possible. Don't use wipes with alcohol or any drying agents at all. The best thing is cotton pads with pure water or wipe with a rinse of pure water to eliminate any chemical residue. All wipes have drying agents, they are necessary to keep bacteria from molding the wipes. After cleaning the area, use the Episencial Nurturing Balm to create a barrier and healing environment for the skin to do what it knows how to do - protect from invaders!
I have acne. Can I use your products?
The Playful Foaming Wash is perfect for acneic skin as it cleanses without stripping natural oils. The Soothing Cream is also great because of the insulating features of the product combined with antibacterial neem oil and probiotics, which are often great for acne.
What is "developing skin"?
Just like adult skin can be categorized as normal, dry, oily, acneic, etc., babies and kids have a unique skin type called "developing skin." As the largest organ of the body, new skin - like baby - is growing and developing into a protective barrier and way to sense and experience the world. And, just like baby, developing skin needs special loving care to healthy and strong.
Are your products vegan?
Four Episencial products are vegan. Sunny Sunscreen SPF 35 & Protective Face Balm SPF 6 contain beeswax and Soothing Cream contains probiotics from a yogurt culture.
What product do you recommend using with cloth diapers?
Episencial recommends Soothing Cream for use with cloth diapers. While healing and protective like Nurturing Balm, Soothing Cream does not contain zinc and therefore is much easier on your washing machine. For severe rash and wounds, however, Nurturing Balm is best.
Do Episencial products contain wheat?
Episencial products do not contain wheat, they are gluten free. There are ingredients used in the products that are derived from oat, but oat extracts do not retain gluten or have allergenic properties. As always, it is good to test a patch of skin on your child and check with your pediatrician before using any product on your infant.
Do your products contain gluten?
These products do not contain gluten. Avena Sativa (Oat) Kernel extract and Tocopherol (Vitamin E) are sometimes confused to have allergenic properties. Avena Sativa is an extract, not mashed oats. Avena Sativa may still contain trace amounts of gluten; however, medical studies show that even celiac patients in remission who suffer severe reactions to gluten tolerate large amounts of oats (93g ingested per day) with no adverse effects. Avena Sativa is a nutrient packed ingredients with flavonoids, minerals, Vitamins B1, B2, D, E, carotene and healthy fats. Wheat is the primary gluten donor of all the grains, so Episencial use the oat instead of wheat to protect and nourish sensitive skin. Regardless, if you are concerned about gluten sensitivity, it is best to check with your pediatrician before using any product.
Can the Nurturing Balm be used to protect and heal rashes on the vaginal region of little girls?
Can the Nurturing Balm diaper cream be used as a sunscreen?
This product does not perform the same functions of a sunscreen. It is meant to protect, strengthen, and create a delicate barrier against germs & bacteria. The particles of Zinc oxide for sun screen have a smaller molecular size than the zinc that is used in the diaper spray. The best product for sun protection is the Sunny Sunscreen SPF 35.
Kim Walls, M.S., is the CEO of Episencial and chief formulator the company's skincare product and philosophy. A second-generation skin care expert from the family that developed the world renowned Epicuren anti-aging skin care products, she now combines her activism for health and environmentalism with expertise in clinical skin care and nutritional science to develop green, effective skin care for pregnant women and children. An esthetichian with more than a decade of experience, Walls has honed her perspective focusing on botanically-based skin care and transdermal nutrient absorption as a pathway to improved health and beauty for women and children. She shares her experience internationally with dermatologists and estheticians, as well as childbirth and postpartum professionals, underscoring the relationship between optimum health and skin care. Now through Episencial, she is dedicated to sharing that knowledge with new and growing families to support the enhanced health and immunity that effective, all natural products can provide.
Kim's strong, personal commitment to organic and environmentally-responsible living is at the core of Episencial's high standards for green manufacturing and product development. Having grown up on ranches in the Pacific Northwest and now the mother of two young boys, Kim marries her innate understanding of the importance of sustainability, her birthright in luxury skincare with her post-graduate work as a nutritionist to establish a new standard in skincare research and products that support lasting health for today's families.
Babytime! By Episencial simplifies choosing effective, natural, safe skincare for your baby so you can focus on the little memories that are made during the most unexpected times. When changing a diaper, giving a bath, massaging baby to sleep or prepping for the outdoors, Babytime! By Episencial is there to help you Enjoy Every Moment!
With Episencial, skin care is health care. One hundred percent of babies will experience dermatitis in their first year of life. Episencial combines advanced skin care technology with Actively Healthy ingredients including probiotics, neem oil and botanically-sourced essential fatty acids and antioxidants to enhance skin immunity and defend against daily environmental challenges from water, sun and air.
The Episencial 3-step signature system is designed to cleanse, nourish and defend with Step 1: Playful Wash, Step 2: Soothing Cream, and Step 3: Sunny Sunscreen SPF 35. Tailor the system to your needs with Episencial Peaceful Bubbles, Snuggly Lotion and Nurturing Balm for diaper care! Always all natural Episencial skincare products are loaded with the good stuff and free from the bad stuff.
With industry-leading 70% and 95% organic formulas, then entire Episencial skin care system is safe for newborns and good for the planet. Moving beyond the "greenwashed" approach typical of natural products, they manufacture in the US using solar power and recycled and sustainable packaging.
Episencial was founded by Kim Walls, M.S., a second-generation skin care expert from the Epicuren family, who couldn’t find skin care products for her babies that met her professional standards for quality and care for the environment – so, she created her own with the help of several moms and dads.
- high quality skincare that is affordable
- for the most sensitive skin of young children ages 0 to five
- made exclusively with all natural ingredients; the majority of which are organic
- no unhealthy chemicals, ever
- manufactured under solar power
- beautifully packaged in recycled and sustainable materials featuring art that inspires
- smell terrific using juice extracts – not fragrances
Kids learn to take care of themselves at bath time in a fun and familiar way. Take that teachable moment and expand it to the care and cleansing of the planet and you’ve got the makings of something powerful — a Vivid Green Generation. Kids will be the generation that takes environmentalism from a trendy cause and marketing gimmick to a cultural and corporate norm. Episencial can help them make that happen. Because actively healthy can and should be fun. With Episencial products you can begin to instill green values from day one. Sharing these fun and inviting products — and the care and consideration that goes into making them — with your children can serve as a building block for making actively healthy choices for themselves and the planet.
- Episencial exists to serve families, especially moms. For them “to serve” is to partner, to support families along the way, through life’s changes and challenges in real, tangible and practical ways.
- Episencial are mindful and considerate. They are concerned about the fundamental connection between health and environment. They ask the hard questions about how choices and actions influence each other for good and for ill. They seek to find new ways to open communication and dialogue about the present and the future of children, families and planet.
- They provide real value – economically, emotionally, and actually, through these products. Actions speak louder than words.
- They are contributors - authentic, sincere, and transparent in actions. They are proactive: they want to solve problems and become a part of solutions, initiate new ideas and develop new products.
- They are perfectionists. They embrace and maintain the highest standards for performance and product quality. They hold themselves individually and as a group to those standards. Their motto is flawless execution.
- They co-exist as a community… as a village. They rely and depend upon one another. They ask each other open and honest questions. They try always to keep their word and honor their promises, and strive to maintain open-hearts and cultivate compassion. They show up when and where they are needed.
- They work hard and with self-discipline. They are goal-driven, and results and outcome oriented. They believe that working smart is better than working long. But at the end of the day, if there is a job to do, they will make sure it gets done properly and completely.
- They think. They are thoughtful, sentient people who think freely, debate openly and often. They are people of good-will. They listen to and think about each other’s arguments and points of view whether they agree with them or not. They respect each other’s differences as much as they acknowledge similarities.
- They are powerful. They understand and believe each and every person has the unique ability and an individual responsibility to influence the world in a myriad of positive ways… and their power is exponentially magnified through a cooperation and communication which leads to new visions and collective efforts.
- They are optimists. They truly believe that anything is possible…truly; anything is possible for the good if they keep their focus and their connections.
- They are peaceful. Ultimately, they create and work toward balance and peace within themselves, with their families, their environment, and the world.