Broo Conditioner Hydrating Porter Warm Vanilla 8 oz. (236 ml)
Broo Conditioner Hydrating Porter Warm Vanilla helps you go from dry to drenched instantly. Broo Conditioner is sulfate-free, color-friendly, pH-balanced, silicone-free, sodium chloride-free (gentle on chemically straightened hair) and 100% Vegan. Broo Conditioner lathers like no other natural conditioner . Hydrating Porter has a scent of delicious vanilla, toffee, and caramel notes, with a subtle chocolate and coconut finish. Broo's recipe: Pop the top on a microbrewed Oatmeal Porter, with real oatmeal, to SOOTHE. Add a medium shot of BRÖÖLuxe, their revolutionary natural alternative to silicone to MAINTAIN MOISTURE. BÖÖST with Shea Butter to HYDRATE & SOFTEN. Blend with Broo's unique mix of 3 gentle, sulfate-free cleansers. Serve up for a quenching Hydration Libation!
Beer is the superdrink for hair! The B Vitamins, Proteins and Minerals make your hair strong, healthy and shiny! Now with BRÖÖLuxe, their revolutionary Natural Alternative to Silicone.
Beauty In Beer
When they were looking for a way to get great-looking hair without all the chemicals, the people at Broo's moms told them to pour beer on their heads, the way they had done back in college (for body and shine). Of course, the first question was, "Beer?"
So they rolled up their sleeves, grabbed a bottle opener and started researching the beauty in beer. They found the answer in four words: Barley, hops, yeast and water, the ingredients in beer.
So simple, yet so magical. Why? Because through the magic of the brewing process, thousands of natural chemical reactions occur, and barley, hops, yeast and water are turned into a beverage that’s hopping with B vitamins, proteins and minerals. In the Middle Ages, they referred to delicious, nutritious beer as “liquid bread!” Broo calls it the “Superdrink” for beautiful hair! Now, if you want to earn a degree in “beer beauty,” read on.
THE RECIPE FOR BEER (AND BEAUTY):
Let’s start with a primer on how to brew beer, in 50 words or less. Heat barley and hops flowers in water. Add yeast to the resulting broth. Let the yeast eat the natural sugars in the broth, to give off ethanol. The result? A fermented alcoholic beverage. Beer! Now, let’s look at each ingredient in this Superdrink.
- Barley – The key ingredient in beer is the grain, barley. Ancient man discovered that by bringing the barley to life, the grain would produce a wealth of vitamins that would wind up in their beer (and now, on your hair). The process was called “malting” the barley, adding water to the grain to induce germination, then gently heating the grain to stop the sprouting process, while maintaining the vitamins. Remember that “liquid bread”? In the Middle Ages, they took the super-enriched, malted grain, milled it into a flour that was combined with the bran, and brewed beer that was brimming with the whole-grain goodness of B vitamins, proteins and minerals (which turned out to be building blocks of great hair and skin).
- Water – Water is the key to getting all that goodness out of the malted grain, and into the beer. When the malted barley is put in hot water, the vitamins are released into the water, creating a vitamin-enriched broth, called wort. And, the better the water, the better the beer. Ever heard of pilsner beer? It hails from Pilsen, in the Czech Republic, and, it's the soft water in Pilsen, that percolates down through the limestone that makes the beer so special. Same goes for the mountain water where Broo is brewed, in Asheville. The soft, pH-Balanced, pure mountain water is key to Asheville's amazing beer, and key to this pH-balanced shampoos and conditioners.
- Hops – Hops are flowering vines, with their flowers historically added to beer for their bitter flavor, and natural preservative properties (long before refrigeration). The essential oils in the hops are extracted in the brewing process, when the flowers are heated in water, with the barley. Those same oils are great for the hair and skin, because they are filled with anti-oxidants, and toning/astringent properties.
- Yeast – Finally, the life of the beer brewing party is yeast. And, when they say life, they mean it. Living brewer’s yeast is the key component of fermentation! This ancient, single-celled organism is added to the vitamin-enriched broth, where it eats all the natural sugars in that liquid bread, converting the sugar to ethanol. This brewer’s yeast is full of B vitamins as well, the building blocks of healthy hair (and skin). In fact, in Europe, brewer’s yeast is used to treat acne and skin inflammations. Broo's South African friend says women there take brewer’s yeast, for strong, healthy hair!
So, after looking at barley, hops, water, and yeast, and learning why beer was good for hair and skin, they asked, “Which Beer?”
And, that’s when it hit them. If corporate beer was good for mom's hair back in the 50's, how much better must a premium, handcrafted microbrew be for your hair today? Living in this Craft Beer Capital, of Asheville, North Carolina, they are surrounded by two things, the natural beauty of the oldest mountains in the world and plenty of handcrafted, micro brewed beer.
Asheville is a town where people are passionate about the pint! And, not only here, but across the U.S., this whole craft beer movement is really a rebellion against corporate beer (you know, the stuff that's watered down and filled with fillers like rice, all in the name of profits!) Craft beer is all about crafting the finest beer, using only the most premium ingredients and maybe making money doing so. It's about putting pints before profits.
And, that became the original mission of BRÖÖ Body & Haircare: To use premium, handcrafted beer to help people look great. Look at the ingredients list! The higher the ingredient is on the list, the more of it is in the product. The number one ingredient in BRÖÖ is BEER. They don’t add water, which is the #1 ingredient in most every other shampoo and conditioner out there. You’ve got plenty of water in your shower already. Why pay for more? Broo start with the amazing benefits of craft beer, as the foundation of ultra-performance, natural hair care!
But, that’s not just any craft beer in BRÖÖ. You see, once they realized BRÖÖ had to be made with craft beer, the final question was which craft beer? Which brew are you?!
For the first shampoos and conditioners, the answer was an American Pale Ale, from Highland Brewing. After a great deal of R & D (and a few sips along the way), they discovered that this American Pale Ale, with its lighter roasted barley malt and triple hopping was perfect for most hair types. So, it became the #1 ingredient in the original Craft Beer Shampoo and Conditioner.
Today, it lives on as the foundation of the Volumizing Pale Ale regimen. Because, they soon learned of the amazing effect of different beer for different hair! The result? A unique beer recipe for the unique Volumizing, Hydrating, and Smoothing regimens.
American Pale Ale, with its light roasted barley, is rich in vitamins and the trace mineral silicon (not yucky silicone), an essential mineral necessary for healthy bones, skin and hair. Additionally, that Pale Ale gets 33 pounds of hops flowers added during the brewing process, releasing all those essential hops oils that are so nourishing to hair and skin. All this makes it the perfect beverage to strengthen and fortify thin or flat hair.
For the Hydrating regimen, they went with an Oatmeal Porter, a dark, rich beer, brewed with oatmeal. Hydrating oat protein blends with the vitamins and minerals in this robust beer, to create a soothing hydration libation.
Finally, for the Smoothing Regimen, they chose an India Pale Ale, an intensely hopped beer, originally brewed to survive the long sailing voyage from England to India (hence the name). British brewers added a huge amount of hops flowers to this beer as a natural preservative for the long trip. That bounty of essential hops oils now delivers the ultimate smoothing nourishment in this Smoothing Regimen.
So, whether you’re looking for volume, hydration, or smoothing, BROO has found the perfect brew for you. Toast the beauty in beer!
- Beer: Made from Barley and Hops. Full of B vitamins and minerals, including natural silicon (not synthetic silicone), the building blocks for healthy skin and hair. Great for nourishing and conditioning hair, and soothing skin. Also, beer, which is rich in protein, forms a protective, moisturizing layer on dry, damaged cuticles, for smooth, shiny hair.
- Behentrimonium Chloride: A quaternary ammonium salt used for hair conditioning and detangling.
- Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter: A moisturizing, emollient fat that’s derived from the karate fruit that grows on the shea tree in Africa
- Caprylol Glycerin/Sebacic Acid Copolymer: Caprylic acid and glycerin, both derived from coconut oil, blended with sebacic acid, which is derived from castor oil.
- Cetyl Alcohol: A conditioner derived from coconut oil.
- Citric Acid: Food-grade preservative. Natural acid found in fruits. Also helps balance the ph-level of these shampoos, conditioners and body washes.
- Cocamidopropyl Betaine: Gentle foaming agent, derived from coconut oil. It cleans and conditions hair and skin without stripping or drying.
- Coco-Glucoside: Surfactant (cleanser) derived from corn.
- Diheptyl Succinate: An alcohol derived from castor oil, combined with a bio-succinic acid derived from non-GMO wheat
- Fragrance: Broo's scents are naturally extracted from plant sources.
- Glycerin: Humectant derived from vegetable oil. Conditions hair and skin, stabilizing moisture levels.
- Glyceryl Oleate: A softening emollient derived from coconut oil.
- Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride: Conditioner derived from natural guar beans. It enhances the conditioning proteins in the beer.
- Hydrolyzed Barley Protein: Barley protein, from the barley grain, that has been partially converted to water through hydrolosis, to blend easily
- Olea Europaea (Olive) Oil: Extracted from the fruit of the olive tree. Conditions and softens hair.
- Potassium Sorbate: Food-grade preservative, derived from a potassium salt of sorbic acid. It keeps yucky stuff from growing these products.
- Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil: Protein-and-vitamin-rich oil that’s expressed from almond seeds, and is an intensely nourishing emollient
- Shea Butteramidopropyl Betaine: Gentle foaming agent based on shea butter and including unsaponifiable shea butter components for mildness
- Sodium Benzoate: Food-grade preservative derived from a sodium salt of benzoic acid. It keeps yucky stuff from growing in these products.
- Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate: Gentle foaming agent, derived from coconut oil. It cleans and conditions hair and skin without stripping or drying.
- Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate: Gentle cleanser, derived from coconut oil. It cleans away oil and dirt, without stripping or drying.
What is BRÖÖ?
PREMIUM shampoos, conditioners and body washes made with handcrafted microbrewed beer and the safest ingredients available.
Why is it good for you?
- No sulfates (harsh cleansers) of any kind
- No parabens (preservatives that mimic estrogen and create increased risk of cancer)
- No phthalates (endocrine disruptors) in the formula
- No silicones (smothers hair/traps dirt)
- No harsh preservatives (only food-grade)
- No added colors/dyes
- No synthetic fragrances (Broo's scent is naturally extracted from plant sources)
- PETA Certified Vegan and Cruelty-Free
- ph-Balanced for all hair types
- Gentle enough for colored hair
What does BRÖÖ do for hair?
- Uses the time-honored remedy of putting beer on hair to make it soft, shiny and volumized
- Notice the difference after one use
- Controls frizz (throw away your flat iron)
- So nourishing you won't need to take skin and hair supplements
- Super moisturizing for dry damaged hair!
Will my hair smell like beer?
NO! Guaranteed to leave you smelling clean.
Broo is worth the price! Made with PREMIUM INGREDIENTS, but only half the price of most salon shampoos and spa products! So rich and luxurious that a little goes a long way Nutritious ingredients keep hair & skin healthy. (prevention is cheaper than cure!) BRÖÖ has no gunky thickeners, so like all "Superdrinks," SHAKE, POUR, LOVE!
BRÖÖ was born from a dog bite. Seriously! The day before BRÖÖ’s founders, Brad and Sarah, were to move to Asheville, a stray dog bit Brad. After two weeks in the hospital, and a month on intravenous antibiotics, Brad finally started listening to Sarah about how he had to take better care of his health (or Sarah was going to kill him). Brad agreed to eat healthy food, but, when Sarah brought home natural shampoos, he started pulling his hair out. Where was the lather? Where was the de-tangling? Where was the fun? In desperation, he called his mom, and told her his sorrowful tale of natural hair despair. Her response? Beer! Not to drown his sorrows. Rather, to brew his do’!
Back in college in the 50’s, his mom and all her friends had poured beer on their hair for natural body and shine. But, when Brad told Sarah about this malted miracle, she wrinkled her nose, saying, “I don’t want to smell like a fraternity house on Sunday morning.” Sarah mentioned this hopped-up, hair-brained idea to her mother, who promptly informed her that while in medical school in the Philippines back in the 50’s, she too had practiced the fine art of “beer hair.” Slowly, Sarah began to open her mind (while Brad opened a beer).
With the help of both of their mothers, Brad convinced Sarah to take a bottle of local, handcrafted beer from Asheville into the shower (surmising that, if canned 1950’s beer was good for the moms, then rich, full-bodied micro-brewed Asheville beer must be even better for his wife.) Suddenly, a blast of brilliant white light shot out from under the bathroom door! Sarah emerged with shiny, silky, flowing tresses. She was a convert to “beer hair.”
Soon, the Pearsall shower looked like a bar, with empty bottles of every Asheville - brewed beer piled in the corners. Lushes? No, luscious! Brad was often mistaken for Fabio (minus the chiseled chin and pecs) and Sarah was whipping her hair back and forth at anyone who glanced her way. But, sadly, the daily dose of “beer hair” was cold (and expensive!) Knowing Sarah’s prior preference for salon-grade products, Brad remarked that if they could somehow magically blend handcrafted beer into salon-level shampoo, they’d have exactly what they wanted. And that’s what started their two-year quest to BRÖÖ their DO.
With a nod to Belgium and Germany (those über beer capitals, worshipped by the U.S. craft beer movement), they chose the name BRÖÖ for this Holy Grail: A shampoo made with ale. And, without a bit of chemistry knowledge between them, the journey began, to take beer “from the Saloon to the Salon!”
Sarah threw down an early gauntlet. BRÖÖ had to be clean, with no nasty chemical junk and had to meet the highest standards in the natural marketplace. Brad just wanted some lather.
They tried brewing their own beer, but it was more epic fail, than epic ale. They decided to leave it to the experts at Asheville’s original craft brewery, Highland Brewing. Highland’s St. Terese’s Pale Ale became the founding ingredient in BRÖÖ.
They tried making their own shampoo, figuring if they’d made soap at home, how hard could it be to make the world’s best salon-grade beer shampoo? Talk about “more tears” shampoo! Let’s just say, the local natural products laboratory at the community college shouldn’t rent them space anymore. Finally, in desperation, Brad crashed the annual holiday banquet of the Carolina chapter of the Society of Cosmetic Chemists, looking for a savior. Turned out, there was a shampoo genius right here in North Carolina, and he agreed to meet with Brad and Sarah.
With a six-pack of handcrafted beer, and a laundry list of prohibited ingredients, Brad and Sarah regaled the chemist with their vision of BRÖÖ. Intrigued, he agreed to work on this shampoo saga. Two years and over 50 rejected formulas later, Brad and Sarah held 4 ounces of perfection in their hand, in an unmarked laboratory bottle. BRÖÖ was born and the world of natural hair care would never be the same.