Gaia Skin Naturals Gaia Made For Men Conditioner 5.3 oz. (150 g)
Gaia Skin Naturals Gaia Made For Men Shampoo is a true barber's tonic, enriched with organic spearmint, rosemary extract and wheat protein. This light conditioner nourishes hair, leaving it soft and shiny without oiliness. Helps promote elasticity and tame any 'frizziness' while maintaining a healthy the scalp. Made For Men Conditioner contains certified organic avocado oil which is rich in vitamins A, C and E, protein and amino acids for conditioning and softening hair, as well as Pro-Vitamin B-5 (or d-panthenol) which further hydrates the hair, helping it appear thicker and promoting elasticity to make combing easier. Wheat protein , packed with vitamins and minerals - and a rich source of Vitamin E - promotes suppleness and resilience. Made For Men Conditioner is suitable for skin affected by psoriasis or eczema.
Gaia Made For Men Conditioner is enriched with:
- Certified Organic Chamomile Extract
- Certified Organic Avocado Oil
- Certified Organic Spearmint
- D-panthenol (Vitamin B-5)
- Rosemary Extract
- Wheat Protein
Massaging your scalp may help to stimulate the blood flow and increase the circulation to your scalp which promotes healthy hair growth.
Men and women have very different needs when it comes to caring for their skin and hair. GAIA Made for Men takes into consideration the specific requirements of male skin and hair, using carefully selected organic veggie oils, herbal extracts and pure essential oils. Known for their skin nurturing benefits, these ingredients help tackle typically male issues such as razor burn, in-grown hairs and maintaining a healthy scalp for healthy hair growth. Exceptional performance is achieved by the careful selection of ingredients based on their ability to soothe, calm, energize and enliven your senses.
GAIA Made for Men is FREE from ingredients that are known to dry or irritate, particularly sensitive skin. There are NO sulphates, propylene glycol, parabens, mineral oil, phthalates or petrochemicals leaving you with just pure, natural and organic product.
A common complaint often heard from the guys is that most of the natural skin care out there in the marketplace smells "girlie". Not this - not a hint of lavender in sight! Certified organic lime, certified organic patchouli and certified organic spearmint pure essential oils bring you a fresh and invigorating masculine scent which will stimulate your senses.
GAIA Made for Men consists of a minimalistic product selection to cater for the typical needs of male skin and hair, simplifying your daily bathroom routine. Only the key essentials have been included in the range to ensure you have all the products you need and none you don't. Most of the items are also suitable for 'dual-use' ie. for face AND body.
The ingredients used in these products have the ability to soothe, calm, nourish, moisturize and stimulate your senses, including:
- certified organic spearmint
- certified organic aloe vera
- certified organic chamomile
- certified organic evening primrose oil
- certified organic wheatgerm oil
- sunflower oil
- nettle and rosemary extracts
The GAIA Made for Men product range is vegan friendly and CCF accredited - no testing on animals or animal ingredients are used. GAIA Made for Men has been created especially for the boys and is made using natural and organic veggie oils and plant extracts.
So many men suffer razor burn and other irritations cause by petrochemicals in products. GAIA Made for Men is free from the harsh ingredients that can dry or irritate, particularly those with sensitive skin.
And there are no "girlie" smells either - not a hint of lavender in sight! Organic lime, organic patchouli and organic spearmint pure essential oils bring you a fresh and invigorating scent to stimulate your senses.
All Gaia products are formulated with skin-softening organic oils, vitamins, active organic botanical extracts are infused with feminine pure essential oils. These ingredients have been carefully selected to target the everyday concerns women have expressed about their skin, including catering for sensitivities, combating dryness and fine lines, and maintaining healthy looking skin. Each product is suitable for all skin types - especially sensitive skin.
What does GAIA mean?
Spirit of Mother Earth. "Gaia" (pronounced guy-ya) is the Greek Goddess of the Earth. "Mother Earth" is believed to have living energy spirit called "Gaia" that is the creator of all life and all things that come together to form the earth.
Do your products contain alcohol?
Gaia Skin Naturals do not use what you would commonly term "alcohol" in any of their formulations - this generally refers to drying alcohols. Any reference to "alcohol" on these labels refers to the wax alcohols, or cetearyl alcohol which are classed as moisturizing alcohols. Cetearyl alcohol is made from various vegetable oils such as sustainable palm and coconut. They bear little relation to common alcohol, which is a volatile liquid and quite drying.
I am allergic to nuts, do any of your products contain nut oils?
It does depend on your allergy - do you have a peanut or tree nut allergy, or both? Only one Gaia product contain nut/nut derivatives - Gaia Natural Baby Massage Oil, made from pure sweet almond oil. Almonds are actually classified as a fruit and are low allergenic.
Can people with Celiac Disease use Gaia products?
Yes they can! Celiac Disease is a permanent intolerance to dietary gluten and, for this to be of concern, gluten must be ingested. In other words, you need to eat it for it to cause a problem. Wheat products, such as wheat germ oil, can be used on the skin without concern by people diagnosed with celiac disease.
It is hard to find good products that work for you, particularly if you have sensitive skin. A lot of thought goes into creating these products, ensuring they are gentle and effective, and their rules are very simple:
- they must be naturally derived and use certified organic ingredients
- they must be suitable for sensitive skin
- they must include nurturing ingredients that are known to be beneficial for skin
- they must NOT contain ingredients known to irritate or dry skin
- they must be affordable for everyday use.
Gaia Skin Naturals formulations are created exclusively for their brand, and a lot of time is spent researching ingredients and their benefits - and more importantly, which ingredients not to include. Only ingredients that have been tried, tested and proven as gentle, non-irritating and known for their safety are used.
Michelle Vogrinec, Gaia Brand Creator, spends most of her time in product development and still hand-makes some of their new products before they hit the market. She then works with the highly skilled team of professional biochemists and aromatherapists to ensure these products adhere to high quality and safety standards.
Although Gaia Skin Naturals began on the stove top, these products have been manufactured in professional laboratories right from the very beginning. In fact, most are made in Australian Certified Organic manufacturing facilities by experts that are passionate and resourceful and specialize in the manufacture of natural and organic skin care formulations.
Gaia has made the choice to include all ingredients on the product labels for you - not all skin companies do. A lot of preservatives are used at very low percentages and often are not listed on product labels. As a mother of a child who is sensitive to soaps, detergents and preservatives, Michelle feels it is important that you know all the ingredients they use so you can be confident in knowing exactly what you are putting on your little one's skin. Gaia Skin Naturals doesn't test on animals - they use real people to test their "potions" and continue to tweak them until they are satisfied they have created a winner. All Gaia products are Cruelty Free Accredited. This means that:
- All products are free from animal ingredients or animal by-products
- All products, except one, are vegan friendly. Skin Soothing Lotion contains beeswax, therefore it is vegetarian friendly.
- No animal is harmed in any way to create these products, and they don't test on animals.
What does Gaia use in their products?
All Gaia products have been tailored to suit sensitive skin. How they do this is to choose ingredients that are well-known for their low irritancy towards skin and only then are they considered for Gaia formulations.
- For cleansers, they use a mixture of oils that are derived from coconut, sustainable palm oil and sugarcane, all of which are known to be safe and low-irritant.
- For moisturizers, they use organic vegetable oils, waxes and fats that are high in vitamins and well known for their nourishing effects on skin
- They also use calming and soothing extracts, as most people with skin sensitivities find ingredients like aloe vera or calendula especially beneficial for their type of skin.
The Key Ingredients Used Are:
- Certified Organic Calendula Extract: A favorite among herbalists, Calendula is very well-known for its amazing calming abilities and is very soothing and gentle on irritated skin
- Certified Organic Chamomile Extract: The most gentle of all herbs and is particularly soothing to skin whilst making skin soft and supple. Chamomile also helps maintain the general health of hair and bring out natural highlights and shine.
- Certified Organic Evening Primrose Oil: Containing high amounts of essential fatty acids that improve the skin's ability to develop normal barrier functions, Evening Primrose Oil is commonly used for dry, flaky skin conditions.
- Certified Organic Avocado Oil: A very nourishing and beneficial oil for dry skin. It contains high concentrations of vitamins D and E, oleic and linolenic acids which are essential for developing normal dermal properties of skin.
- Certified Organic Shea Butter: Extremely moisturizing, assists with suppleness and elasticity. Dry, damaged and irritated skin benefits the most from Shea Butter. Well known to help during pregnancy to help with skin elasticity and stretch marks.
- Certified Organic Wheat Germ Oil: Contains very high amounts of Vitamin E and improves suppleness and elasticity, making it ideal for stretchmarks and scarred skin.
- Certified Organic Lavender Pure Essential Oil: Provides a natural, gentle and soothing aroma. It's well-known for calming and soothing and may be helpful for easing itchiness and skin affected by irritations.
- Certified Organic Sweet Orange Pure Essential Oil: Naturally antibacterial and antiviral with a very gentle and pleasing aroma and used as a natural cleanser that is non-irritating.
- Certified Organic Roman Chamomile Pure Essential Oil: Distilled from fresh flowers since medieval times - it is used to soothe the skin and for promoting calm and relaxation. You only need a very small amount of Chamomile to benefit from its properties.
And what is in Gaia For Men?
Ingredients known for their gentle and non-irritating nature, while still stimulating, invigorating, soothing, calming, lubricated or moisturizing the skin.
- Certified Organic Spearmint: A great alternative to Peppermint, which gives off a vapor that can sting your eyes, Spearmint smoothes and stimulates the skin's surface and softens hair, helping to maintain a healthy scalp. Awakening, refreshing and re-energizing the skin, it will help you maintain a positive attitude and outlook - eager to meet the challenges of the day ahead.
- Rosemary Extract: Revitalizes the appearance of skin and hair a stimulates the scalp surface leaving it less stressed. Removes excess oils and dandruff flakes from hair. Rosemary is also a natural deterrent to head lice.
- Certified Organic Aloe Extract: Known to be non-irritating, aloe soothes and smoothes, while moisturizing and stimulating the skin surface, brightening its appearance. It also helps to de-sensitize razor-burned skin and is effective in cleansing acne-prone skin.
- Certified Organic Avocado Oil: Hydrates and softens the skin, helping to reduce the appearance of sun damage and smoothing lines or wrinkles. It contains high concentrations of vitamins D and E, oleic and linolenic acids essential for normal dermal properties of skin.
- Certified Organic Wheat Germ Oil: Contains very high amounts of Vitamin E, which not only moisturizes but assists the suppleness and elasticity in both skin and hair, helping maintain a youthful appearance.
- Certified Organic Evening Primrose Oil: An omega-3 "good oil", it contains high amounts of essential fatty acids elasticity and suppleness to make skin feel younger and more vibrant.
- Sunflower Oil: A rich essential fatty acid containing vitamin A, D and E to hydrate and moisturize the skin to help maintain a youthful appearance.
- Certified Organic Roman Chamomile Extract: The most gentle of all herbs, it is particularly soothing to skin whilst making skin soft and supple. Chamomile also helps maintain the general health of hair and bring out the natural highlights and shine. Suitable for skin affected by dermatitis.
- Certified Organic Lime Pure Essential Oil: A refreshing and uplifting scent with mildly antiseptic and astringent qualities which may help cleanse acne-prone skin. Purifying and invigorating to the senses, it is said lime promotes clarity of thought and a general feeling of well-being.
- Certified Organic Orange Pure Essential Oil: Refreshing and stimulating this oil is rich in vitamin C to brighten and cleanse dull and oily complexions. Non-toxic, non-irritant and non-sensitizing, it may help to dispel tension and stress to give you a feeling of an uplifted mood.
- Certified Organic Cedarwood Pure Essential Oil: Provides soothing relief for itchy skin and regulates oiliness. Helps cleanse and remove dandruff flakes. You may feel you have a clearer mind, helping to dissipate anxiety and tension, to achieve a sense of balance and control.
- Certified Organic Patchouli Pure Essential Oil: A great stress-reliever, cooling and calming patchouli is well-known for tis many beneficial skin properties, particularly assisting in maintaining a youthful appearance. It tightens and tones, reducing the appearance of scars and wrinkles. Suitable for use on skin affected by acne, dandruff or other conditions, it smoothes and soothes skin dried by the elements.
- Wildcrafted Sandalwood Pure Essential Oil: A relaxing, earthy scent, sandalwood moisturizes dry and flaking skin and softens the visible signs of aging. Suitable for all skin types, it also calms razor burn and regulates oiliness. Soothing to body mind, it is reputed to have aphroisicia qualities.
Why choose natural skin care?
Your skin tells the world your age, environment and emotional wellbeing and many things attribute to how well or not so well your skin looks and feels so you should take care of it. Healthy skin is reflected from being healthy on the inside.
Eating well, incorporating as much fresh organic fruit and vegetables as you can, drinking plenty of filtered water, enjoying fresh air, exercise daily, wearing a hat when you are out in the sun and not smoking all contribute to healthier, happier skin. And looking after your skin using beneficial natural oils and extracts will also contribute to giving fresh, healthy, beautiful skin.
Plants and humans are perfectly compatible, unlike their synthetic counterparts, which are often said to be more durable, economical and practical but do not have the properties or effects as a natural product. Natural plant properties cannot be replicated.
It is also well known that some commonly used ingredients come with side effects that can include itchiness, dryness and even skin irritation.
What components are need to make skin care products?
Making skin care products is like baking a cake - you need certain ingredients for it to bake well and taste great. The same thing applies with your skin care products so they perform well and have a nice texture and feel about them.
- Emollients soften skin and prevent dryness. Moisturizer (something that adds moisture) most often describes a finished product and Emollient (something that softens) is most often used to describe a single ingredient. Most conventional emollients are made from petrochemicals and can cause skin irritation whereas natural emollients are actually beneficial and nourish the skin, like evening primrose oil, sweet almond oil and wheat germ oil. These contain vitamins and essential fatty acids which your skin just loves.
- Humectants attract water from the air, hold it within a substances, and the slowly release the moisture into the skin. Regardless of their ability to moisturize, some humectants are harsh industrial chemicals that coat the skin, much like cling-wrap and can cause irritation. The natural humectants like vegetable glycerin and provitamin B5 (panthenol) are known to be beneficial to the skin.
- Emulsifiers are two or more compounds that allow water and oil to mix (which is called an emulsion). These are usually petroleum derivatives and can be allergens. Natural emlulsifiers are obtained from various natural sources, for example: decyl glucoside, which is derived from sugarcane.
- Surfactants are wetting agents, capable of holding dirt and oil to be rinsed away by water - these are the foaming agents. Natural surfactants are a much better choice for shampoos and cleansers as they gently cleanse without stripping your natural protective oils. Most natural surfactants are palm or coconut oil derived. However some, like sodium lauryl sulphate and its cousins (sodium laureth sulfate, ammonium lauryl sulphate, ammonium laureth sulphate), are suspected to be harmful so Gaia doesn't use the sulphate family in any of their products and only choose natural surfactants known to be gentle and low allergenic.
- Preservatives - Although preservatives do extend the longevity of the products and help keep them free from bacteria, the preservatives themselves are often unhealthy and many cause skin problems. It is good to remember that all products need preservatives to stop them "going off" and that they will not always be listed on the label. The paraben family of preservative (methyl paraben, propyl paraben, butyl paraben, ethyl paraben) are the most commonly used and are well known to cause skin irritation. All GAIA products are free from paraben preservatives.
- Antioxidants may also be included in products and are often confused with preservatives. Antioxidants are used to prevent the oxidization of oils in an emulsion (prevent the oils in the product from going rancid or off whereas preservatives prevent the entire product from going off). They are also used on the skin to help smooth wrinkles and to slow signs of aging. The natural antioxidant, vitamin E (tocopheryl acetate), offers greater antioxidant activity than its man made alternative.
- Plant essences can actually prompt intense emotions. Studies have shown that plant essences can actually prompt intense emotions, senations, reactions and skin healing as they have an effect on the brain via the olfactory nerves and through skin absorption. This can lead to changes in skin temeperature, blood volume and brain wave activity. The response is completely individual, linked to personal body chemistry, memories and emotions. Gaia's focus is on health rather than beauty - healthy skin is beautiful skin. When manufactured, consideration is made not only the composition of the ingredients, but Gaia looks closely at the growing conditions such as organic and biodynamic farming. There are many great remedial and nourishing effects from plants on the human body. It is well-known that they naturally soothe and stimulate and may help to relieve stress, relax, excite and promote wellbeing.
- Pure Essential Oils: Aromatherapy is the art and science of using oils extracted from aromatic plants to enhance health, beauty and well-being. The essential oils taken from plants are used in Aromatherapy and often described as the plants' "life force" - they are essential to the plants biological process as well as being the substance which gives them their scent. The benefits of pure essential oils on your skin and hair are many and varied, depending on the oil you use and how you personally respond to it as the response to pure essential oils is completely individual. Make sure when you are buying products or oils that they are pure essential oils and not just fragrant oils, which are in fact synthetic copies of natural scents. Synthetic fragrance is one of the biggest causes of skin irritation. It takes approximately 200 chemicals to produce one scent and tehy certainly do not offer the same therapeutic benefits as a pure essential oil. Be aware that some products may market themselves as containing "lavender" to calm or relax or other ingredients that you would associate with relaxation. This is often fragrance and NOT pure essential oil and does not offer the same benefits that a pure essential oil does.
For many people, choosing organic is not only about their health but also about the health of the planet. Organic farming uses techniques that preserve the environment and keep the soil as healthy as it can be. It does not use synthetic fertilizers, herbicides, pesticides and chemicals or any other substances that are or may be harmful to soil, water, wildlife, human life or the environment.
When synthetic pesticides, insecticides and other chemicals are sprayed onto the farms, it decreases the quality of the soil and increases salinity (salt levels). It also depletes the soil of vital minerals necessary for the healthy functioning of the body. Chemicals not only affect the soil they are sprayed onto. Rain washes these chemicals into waterways and the water you drink. Through the food you eat and the skin care products you use, these chemicals are taken into your bodies. Here, they can damage your immune system and cause allergies, infections and even cancers.
The skin is a living, breathing organ needs to be cared for. Everything is absorbed through your skin therefore it should be gentle and non-toxic.
What is in Gaia Skin Naturals products?
Gaia's carefully selected ingredients are all derived from natural sources. They have chosen ingredients because they are gentle and have beneficial properties, and they use as many organic ingredients as they can get their hands on. GAIA lists all ingredients used and only the certified organic ingredients are listed as organic - this validates the organic ingredients to ensure they are following stringent guidelines for their certification. There may be a higher proportion of organic components in these formulations than actually listed on the label.
Ingredients That Gaia Uses That Are Often Confused As Animal Derived
- Allantoin: When GAIA states that they use Allantoin, they mean the natural plant-based type derived from the active part of the comfrey root which is known to be beneficial in maintaining a healthy scalp. Other companies may use uric acid (known also as Allantoin) which is derived from animals.
- Glycerin: Is a by-product of soap-making. A natural "humectant," meaning it attracts moisture to your skin, it also smoothes the skin's surface. The glycerin GAIA uses is derived from vegetable oil not from animal fat.
- Lactic Acid: GAIA uses Lactic Acid derived from plant sources not animal sources or animal by-products to moisturize as well as naturally exfoliate, refine and clear skin. It helps to balance the skin's pH levels.
- Protein: GAIA uses only plant-based proteins from wheat or oats. Unlike other baby products, GAIA does not use silk protein, because silk protein is made by boiling silkworm alive in their cocoons to stop them from 'ruining' the silk fibers when they are ready to hatch.
Gaia Skin Naturals - nourishing skincare products that feed your skin, keep it healthy and make it easy for you to maintain gorgeous skin - has several brands, including GAIA Pure Pregnancy, GAIA Natural Baby, GAIA Skin+Body, especially for women, and GAIA Made For Men. Proudly Australian-made, these skin care products are tailored for sensitive skin, combining natural and certified organic oils and extracts that are gently cleansing, moisturizing and soothing. The sensational scents are blended using pure essential oils, mostly certified organic, selected to provide you with the most gorgeous aromas to indulge your senses and benefit your skin. GAIA Products are free from:
- artificial fragrance
- petrochemicals and mineral oils
- lanolin and phthalates
- soap, sulphates and other drying agents in their cleansers
- paraben preservatives and propylene glycol
- and other commonly used ingredients that can be irritated or drying to skin
It's not just what they put in, but what they leave out that makes the difference!