Douglas Laboratories Thyro-Mend - 90 Vegetarian Capsules
Douglas Labs Thyro-Mend, is a synergistic combination of iodine containing seaweeds, as well as herbs which contain phytothyroidogenic properties, as well as phyto-thyroid-receptor agonists. Douglas Labs Thyro Mend is designed to promote optimal function of thyroid hormones by maintaining the health of thyroid hormone producing tissues and by supporting the healthy function of tissues that respond to thyroid hormones.Douglas Labs ThyroMend may be a useful dietary supplement for individuals wishing to support healthy thyroid function.
The synergistic combination of seaweeds and herbs support many important functions associated with optimal thyroid health including; provides bio-available iodine for thyrocytes; iodine uptake by thyrocytes through interactions with sodium-iodide-symporter (NIS) proteins; T3 & T4 production and secretion from thyrocytes; conversion of thyroxine (T4) to the more bioactive triiodothyronine (T3) by liver cells; RXR/TR heterodimerization of thyroid receptors on target cells; binding of thyroid hormone receptors to DNA by RXR/TR heterodimers; and the affect of T3 on target gene expression.
By supporting thyroid functions, this synergistic formulation also supports the health of tissues which respond to optimal thyroid health. This support can help maintain normal blood lipids and sugar levels and support memory and mood.
- Iodine average intake has increased by only 15% in the United States as indicated during the most recent National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey of 2001-2002. Though better than the 1988-1994 survey, which was described as disturbing data, the 2001- 2002 levels are still barely 50% of the iodine intake studied in the 1971-1974 survey. Since patients who adhere to restricted diets may have reduced intake of iodine, evaluation of patients’ diets and supplements for adequacy of iodine intake should now be considered a part of
- Sea Kelp (Ascophyllum nodosum) is a dietary source of iodine. An additional benefit of Ascophyllum nodosum is its ability to increase glutathione peroxidase activity, an important antioxidant. Human thyrocytes synthesize and secrete extracellular glutathione peroxidase, which translocates into the intracellular space and helps to maintain normal redox status within thyrocytes.
- Bladderwrack (Fucus vesiculosus) is another dietary source of natural iodine that has been used by many societies throughout history. Bladderwrack has also demonstrated anti-estrogen properties in both human and animal studies, suggesting that it may contribute protective health to estrogen sensitive tissues.
- Guggulsterone (Commiphora mukul) has shown an ability to support thyroid function, especially through increased conversion of T4 to T3 in the liver, the principle site of T3 generation. The effects of guggulsterone may be due to its ability to activate multiple receptors on the nuclear membrane, including thyroid receptors (alpha & beta), retinoic acid receptors, (which pairs with thyroid receptors), and the vitamin D receptor, which also plays a role in thyroid function.
- Commiphora mukul and its cholesterol-supportive components, guggulsterones, support proper LDL metabolism, an important concern for those looking to maintain healthy thyroid function.
- Rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis) provides carnosic acid, a polyphenolic diterpene that at low concentrations increases the expression of vitamin D and retinoid receptors. Retinoid-X-receptors (RXR) undergo heterodimerization with thyroid hormone receptors (TR). The RXR/TR heterodimers have been proposed to be the principle mediators of target gene regulation by T3 hormone. The ability of carnosic acid to also affect retinoic acid receptors may increase its importance as a TR agonist. Rosemary also contributes rosmarinic acid, which has significant antioxidant and anxiolytic properties. An additional constituent, carnosol, may support healthy metalloproteinase-9 activity and healthy NF-kappaB activity, which may be responsible for its support of normal immune system function.
- Sage (Salvia officinalis) has long been recognized as a very rich source of the antioxidant carnosic acid which, as noted above, can increase T3 activity through improved RXR/TR heterodimerization. Important features of Salvia officinalis are also its memory supportive properties, including memory retention, more efficient memory retrieval and improved mood and cognitive task performance.
- Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera) demonstrated an ability to directly act on the thyroid to raise serum levels of thyroid hormones in animal studies during the late 1990s. Though inconclusive, a case review in late 2005 indicated that Ashwagandha may have the ability to raise serum levels of thyroid hormones in humans. Ashwagandha has also been attributed as having a number of adaptogenic properties including neuroprotective properties.
- Coleus (Coleus forskohlii) contains forskolin, a potent activator of the cyclic AMPgenerating system in many tissues including the thyroid, and increases T3 & T4 secretion from thyrocytes in a fashion similar to TSH, though independent from TSH. Forskolin is specifically able to mimic the effect of TSH in regard to iodide uptake, organification of iodine, thyroglobulin (TG) production, and promote secretion of T3 & T4, through an increase in the expression of sodium/iodide symporter (NIS) proteins.
- Brahmi (Bacopa monniera) exhibited thyroid supportive properties through an increase of T4 serum concentrations in animal studies. Brahmi may have more direct thyroid supportive properties versus an effect on hepatic conversion to T3. Brahmi may also address concerns about neurocognitive function associated with sub-optimal thyroid function. In human studies, Brahmi has been shown to improve many of the higher order cognitive processes, including the ability to significantly improve speed of visual information processing, learning rate, memory consolidation, improve memory retention, enhance retention of new information, and decrease the rate of forgetting of newly acquired information.
- Hops (Humulus lupulus) can increase the uptake of iodide into the thyroid gland, a fundamental step in thyroid hormone synthesis, through interactions with sodium-iodide-symporter (NIS) proteins. This observation is quite the opposite of many other plant-derived phenolic secondary metabolites such as isoflavonoids, which can potentially inhibit iodide uptake.
- Xanthohumol, a chalcone found in Humulus lupulus, plays a critical role in supporting normal blood lipid and glucose metabolism.
Trust Douglas Laboratories, The Choice Of Thousands Of Healthcare Practitioners For Over 50 Years.
Trust Douglas Laboratories for a partnership founded on a heritage of excellence. For more than 50 years, they have been at the forefront of the nutritional health industry, proudly researching, developing and manufacturing superior-quality, science-based dietary supplements to help people improve their health. Proudly earning the trust of thousands of healthcare professionals.
Trust Douglas Laboratories for best-in-class, science-based dietary supplements manufactured exclusively for healthcare professionals. We are proud to offer one of the largest and most innovative selections of over 600 premium-quality products and a comprehensive range of galenic forms (dosage and delivery), manufactured at GMP- compliant, state-of-the-art facilities.
Trust Douglas Laboratories for personalized, one-to-one consultation on the latest, most reliable science, for strategies on using nutritional health to complement your practice and for coaching to better advise your patients on the right supplements for them.
About Douglas Laboratories
Back in 1955, Sam Lioon, founded Douglas Laboratories on a simple promise: provide the highest quality nutritional supplements available with the highest level of personal service—anywhere. And with that promise began a legacy of leadership—and a never-ending quest to exceed their customers’ expectations to Raise the Standard for Nutrition and Wellness.
Today that legacy lives on as Douglas Laboratories proudly joins the Atrium Innovations group of companies. Atrium Innovations is an international company and global leader in the development, manufacturing, and marketing of dietary supplements, specialty fine chemicals, and active cosmetic ingredients.
Douglas Laboratories is supported by more than 300 Douglas Laboratories employees all dedicated to keeping the promise Sam made 50 years ago. Raising the Standard is more than a slogan—it’s a promise. As they enter their second half-century, Douglas Laboratories will continue to keep their promise to Raise the Standard with a custom approach to ytheir patients’ nutrition and wellness. With custom formulations ytheir patients can’t find anywhere else. Custom labels. Custom daily packs. And the industry’s largest and most innovative product line. And they’ll back up their promise with the kind of stringent criteria many other companies overlook, such as:
- (cGMPs) current good manufacturing practices.
- ISO 9001 Certification and ISO 17025 Accreditation of their laboratories.
- The industry’s first fully electronic, bar code driven, paperless manufacturing system to pass the FDA’s rigorous audit. Their exclusive
- Veri-Match labeling system, ensures verification prior to production and release of ytheir products.
- (SOPs) standard operating procedures.
- VCP (Vendor Certification Program) ensures raw material safety and quality.
- Experienced, on-staff Ph.D’s, utilizing three full-service laboratories, outfitted with the latest analytical equipment.
- State-of-the-art manufacturing, including ultra high-speed encapsulating machines, capable of producing over 35 million capsules and tablets daily!
- Full compliance with the Public Health Security and Bioterrorism Preparedness and Response Act of 2002, assuring safety and uninterrupted flow of all raw materials.
Douglas Laboratories continues to lead the way with clinical trials designed to validate the efficacy of their products. Their world-renowned Ultra-Preventive X (Ten) was rated the #1 multivitamin in the professional healthcare market, and their Vita-Big-Kids was rated the #1 children’s multivitamin overall by the independent Comparative Guide to Nutritional Supplements. Their commitment to help support patient outcomes is ongoing; look for their new in-office patient education posters, easy online ordering from their website and more innovative ideas designed to help ytheir practice grow in the days ahead.
But most of all, they’re proud of the many long-standing relationships they’ve enjoyed with so many customers over the years, and the many great friendships they’ve made along the way. It’s not an exaggeration to say that they truly enjoy what they do, enjoy coming to work each and every day.*California Residents Proposition 65 WARNING: This products contains a chemical known to the State of Californina to cause birth defects or other reproductive harm*