Freeze-Dried Kefir Starter Set by Yogourmet
YoGourmet Freeze-Dried Kefir Starter Set - 6 x 5g Packets
Use Yo`Gourmet Freeze-dried Kefir Starter for the best home-made Kefir. Yogourmet Freeze-Dried Kefir Starter Set is prepared from selected strains of dairy cultures and yeast as well as kéfir grains, so that each batch you make produces excellent quality kéfir. YYogourmet Freeze-Dried Kefir Starter Set does not require the use of a yogurt maker, since the milk is incubated at room temperature for about 24 hours. Each box in the Yogourmet Freeze-Dried Kefir Starter Set contains 3 envelopes of 2 X 5 grams and each envelope makes 2 litres of kéfir or 6 quarts of Kefir.
- Cultured milk you can drink
- Great source of friendly bacteria
- Easy and inexpensive
- No electrical appliance needed
- Save more! Make your own kefir at about half the price of store bought
- Go Green! >Reduce the plastic containers used with store bought Kefir
- All Natural! Know what you are eating. When making your own kefir, you control what goes into it. No additives or preservatives!
- Each box contains six - 5 gram envelopes
- Each envelope makes 1 quart of yogur
What is Lyophilization ?
Lyophilization is a process which extracts the water from foods and other products so that the foods or products remain stable and are easier to store at room temperature (ambiant air temperature).
Lyophilization is carried out using a simple principle of physics called sublimation. Sublimation is the transition of a substance from the solid to the vapour state, without first passing through an intermediate liquid phase. To extract water from foods, the process of lyophilization consists of:
- Freezing the food so that the water in the food become ice;
- Under a vacuum, sublimating the ice directly into water vapour;
- Drawing off the water vapour;
- Once the ice is sublimated, the foods are freeze-dried and can be removed from the machine.
Advantages of Lyophilization
Lyophilization has many advantages compared to other drying and preserving techniques.
- Lyophilization maintains food quality because the food remains at a temperature that is below the freezing-point during the process of sublimation; The use of lyophilization is particularly important when processing lactic bacteria, because these products are easily affected by heat.
- Foods which are lyophilized can usually be stored without refrigeration, which results in a significant reduction of storage and transportation costs.
- Lyophilization greatly reduces weight, and this makes the products easier to transport. For example, many foods contain as much as 90% water. These foods are 10 times lighter after lyophilization.
- Because they are porous, most freeze-dried foods can be easily rehydrated. Lyophilization does not significantly reduce volume, therefore water quickly regains its place in the molecular structure of the food.
The freeze-dryer unit Lyo-San uses is of their own design. Each dryer is composed of a large air-tight cylindrical reservoir, equipped with shelves to hold the trays of food to be freeze-dried. Access is through a large door, made of 6 cm thick acrylic, strong enough to resist the high pressure created when air is withdrawn from the freeze-drying unit to produce a vacuum needed for the process of sublimation.
Yogourmet by Lyo-San
Lyo-San is pleased to present their line of Yogourmet products to help you make delicious and tasty home-made yogurt, nutritious cultured milks. Yogourmet products are easy to use, recognized for their excellent quality, and produce delicious yogurt. Lyo-San has recently added new cultures to their line of products, which will allow you to produce home-made yogurt with added probiotic bacteria and cultured milks such as kéfir, spreadable cheeses, buttermilk and sour cream. Yogourmet products are easy to use and produce natural and delicious home-made yogurt and cultured milks.
Yogourmet kéfir starter does not require the use of a yogurt maker. No electrical appliance needed. Makes 6 quarts.
Lactic bacteria and yeasts, skim milk powder.
This product is manufactured in a facility that manipulates products that contain wheat, soy, eggs, milk anf fish (including shrimp).
LYO-SAN IS PLEASED TO PRESENT OUR LINE OF YOGOURMET PRODUCTS TO HELP YOU MAKE DELICIOUS AND TASTY HOME-MADE YOGURT, NUTRITIOUS CULTURED MILKS. YOGOURMET PRODUCTS ARE EASY TO USE, RECOGNIZED FOR THEIR EXCELLENT QUALITY, AND PRODUCE DELICIOUS YOGURT. WE HAVE RECENTLY ADDED NEW CULTURES TO OUR LINE OF PRODUCTS, WHICH WILL ALLOW YOU TO PRODUCE HOME-MADE YOGURT WITH ADDED PROBIOTIC BACTERIA AND CULTURED MILKS SUCH AS KÉFIR, SPREADABLE CHEESES, BUTTERMILK AND SOUR CREAM. YOGOURMET PRODUCTS ARE EASY TO USE AND PRODUCE NATURAL AND DELICIOUS HOME-MADE YOGURT AND CULTURED MILKS.
The views and opinions expressed by contributors of the product reviews are their own and not necessarily those of LuckyVitamin.com. LuckyVitamin.com does not endorse or imply any medical claims from these reviews. These reviews should not be taken as recommendations but rather customer opinions of the products that they may or may not have used. Reviews are not intended as a substitute for appropriate medical care or advice and are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. Read the full product reviews disclaimer here.
This worked great ... One tip - you can save 1/2 cup of the finished kefir and use that as starter to make kefir (another quart) again... you can do that up to 8 times... so you're really getting enough starter to make about 50 quarts (maybe more)
a very reliable product that produces no fail batches of kefir with little fuss. I like to have it with a splash of lemon juice and stevia to sweeten