Seventh Generation Baby Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 30 (3 oz./85 g)
Seventh Generation Baby Sunscreen Broad Spectrum 30 SPF is a baby-safe, broad-spectrum (UVA and UVB) protection that's good for the whole family. Even indirect sun can affect baby's fragile skin. The water-resistant SPF 30 formula features non-absorbing mineral sun filters that stay on the skin's surface to defend against harmful rays. Seventh Generation Baby Sunscreen contains no chemical sunscreens, parabens, gluten or PABA.
- Light, fresh scent
- Free of parabens
- Free of PABA
- Made with extra-virgin olive oil
- SPF 30
- Retains SPF for up to 80 minutes of water activity
Why does Seventh Generation Baby Sunscreen use a mineral sunscreen instead of a chemical sunscreen?
Chemical sunscreens are absorbed into deeper layers of the skin where they absorb the sun's rays and chemically react to protect the skin from skin damage and burning. Since they are absorbed into the skin, chemical sunscreens can be absorbed into the blood stream. Most chemical sunblocks are composed of several active ingredients and many chemical sunscreens are suspected to have negative long-term health affects.
Mineral Sunscreens stay on the outer surface of the skin where they reflect the sun's rays. For this reason, mineral sunscreens are also referred to as physical sunscreens because they physically block the sun's rays from contacting the skin. Seventh Generation prefers mineral sunscreen because they have a better environmental profile (no coral bleaching), and can be especially useful for individuals with sensitive skin, as they rarely cause skin irritation.
Why are Seventh Generation Baby Personal Care products labeled gluten-free?
Gluten sensitivity and gluten intolerance in children are very serious matters, and Seventh Generation knows that many parents are looking for products made without wheat and gluten. Gluten intolerance is triggered by ingestion, and since babies experience the world through their mouths, Seventh Generation Baby Personal Care products do not expose your baby to gluten, either in the tub or on their skin. This gluten-free claim is also important for parents of wheat allergic children, because wheat allergies can be triggered by skin contact with gluten.
Why do personal care products need preservatives? Can't they be made without them?
It might surprise you to learn that, just like food, shelf-stable products like skin lotion can spoil when they're not preserved properly. Preservatives are essential in most products to prevent damage caused by microorganisms and to protect the product from inadvertent contamination by the consumer during use. Like all Seventh Generation products, Baby Personal Care line has undergone a rigorous safety evaluation to make sure that the products can be used safely on your baby.
Is Seventh Generation Baby Sunscreen water resistant?
Yes! Seventh Generation Baby Sunscreen is water resistant for up to 80 minutes. As with any sunscreen, Seventh Generation advises re-applying at least every 2 hours.
Can I use sunscreen on babies younger than 6 months?
The FDA and the American Academy of Pediatrics recommend that you check with your doctor before applying sunscreen to a baby younger than 6 months.
Seventh Generation is committed to becoming the world's most trusted brand of authentic, safe and environmentally-responsible products for a healthy home. For 20 years, the closely held Burlington, Vermont-based company has been at the forefront of a cultural change in consumer behavior and business ethics. One of the country's first self-declared "socially responsible" companies, Seventh Generation is a business that operates according to a new and different set of principles and values that in many ways are a marked departure from those long considered "traditional." Its business practice is focused on offering people avenues to express their idealism, passion, and commitment to causes larger than themselves and every point along its supply chain, from suppliers and partners to shareholders, customers, and their own staff.
The company derives its name from the Great Law of the Iroquois that states "In our every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions on the next seven generations." Every time you use a Seventh Generation product, you are making a difference by saving natural resources, reducing pollution, keeping toxic chemicals out of the environment and making the world a safer place for this and the next seven generations.
Seventh Generation Global Imperatives
- Restore the Environment: Restore is the next reduce, reuse, recycle. Seventh Generation is working to ensure that their products have a circular lifecycle, meaning natural resources are being used and renewed at a rate that is always below their rate of depletion.
- Inspire Conscious Consumption: Seventh Generation's focus is to inspire thoughtful consideration of each purchase—from the immediate impact of the products you buy (Is it safe? Is it gentle on the earth? Does it work?), to the broader impact throughout their lifecycle.
- Create a Just and Equitable World: Seventh Generation is committed to making sure that everyone their company interacts with—from the farmers who grow their lavender to the customers who use these products—are treated fairly and with respect.
Seventh Generation Operating Principles
- Systems Thinking: As suggested by The Great Law of the Iroquois, Seventh Generation strives to act with the knowledge that their business belongs to a larger system in which everything is interconnected, and that everything they do affects everything else.
- Radical Transparency: Seventh Generation believe that the best way to ensure that they live up to their aspirations is to be completely transparent about their business and product practices. You should expect to see all of their values and principles in everything they make, say, and do. It’s really that simple.
- Influence Beyond Their Size: Seventh Generation is determined to inspire others through innovation, education, and interaction. They proudly donate 10% of their profits to support organizations that work for positive change.