Raw Elements Eco Formula Sunscreen 30+ SPF 3 oz. (88 ml)
Raw Elements Eco Formula Sunscreen 30+ SPF is the Conscious Consumer's answer to serious sun protection. All Natural and free of all the bad stuff, Raw Elements Eco Formula boasts balanced Physical UV Protection through their unique Organic Eco-Shield Performance Technology. As a performance driven sunscreen, it is very water resistant beyond 80 minutes, yet so gentle and moisturizing, it is perfect for young people! Raw Element Eco-Formula Sunscreen is packed with biologically active antioxidants, vitamins, minerals and extracts, it continues protecting skin long after environmental exposure.
The Burning Facts
- UVA Rays intensity remains constant through the seasons of the year
- UV Exposure can be increased by as much as 25%, 50% & 80% from reflection off of sand, water and snow respectively.
- UVA Rays penetrate through glass windows all year round
- UVB Radiation is a high energy wave that can cause direct cellular DNA damage
- UVA Radiation is a lower energy wave that leads to longer term cellular DNA damage
- Higher elevations increase intensity of UV rays and possibly can lead to exposure of UVC radiation
- Over 90% of UV radiation hitting earth is UVA
- UVB rays cause "burning" on the skin's surface and the effects can be seen shortly after exposure. UVA rays cause a delayed tanning effect, and the effects of their cellular damage can sometimes not be seen for quite some time.
- Over 80% of UV radiation, especially UVA radiation, can penetrate cloud cover all year round
- Indoor tanning may introduce users to 15 times more radiation than that of the sun
- It is a widely accepted fact that the sun's UV rays are classified as photocarcinogenic energy (having ability to generate cancer through sun).
- Both UVA & UVB rays are responsible causes of skin cancers and other damages and aging of the skin and eyes and immunosuppression
- UV Damage is cumulative throughout your lifetime, meaning each occurrence piles on top of the previous
- Each time a person sunburns to a peel, their risk of cancer increases by 50%. People with more than 40 moles have close to 3 times the chance of skin cancers.
Sunscreens - The Disappointing Truths
- Skin cancer rates continue to climb, as does the usage of sunscreen in the US. The FDA has now allowed 30+ years to lapse without delivering updated regulations on sunscreen.
- The SPF # only refers to UVB Rays, has no correlation to UVA (yes this means that SPF 70 could be providing the equivalent to an SPF 5 in UVA protection).
- SPF 15 blocks 93.6% UVB rays; SPF 30 blocks 96.7% of UVB rays; SPF 50 blocks 98% of UVB rays.
- Currently there is no FDA standard, or requirement for UVA protection in sunscreen in the US!
- Regardless of the product, all sunscreens are tested at 2 mg per cm2 of skin. Consumers generally apply 25% of this amount, drastically diminishing the sunscreen's protection.
- This translates to:
- SPF 100 performs as SPF 3.2
- SPF 30 performs as SPF 2.3
- SPF performs as SPF 2.0
Broad Spectrum Protection, by definition, should mean protecting against UVA and UVB Rays. Unfortunately, Broad Spectrum claim is allowed if a product blocks as little as 5% (allowing 95% through to skin) of UVA radiation. High SPF number sunscreen, without balanced UVA protection, leaves consumers in the sun for extended periods, soaking up excess amounts of dangerous UVA radiation. The Environmental Working Group (www.ewg.org) reviewed over 1500 sunscreens on the US market in 2010, and determined that only 8% even contained ingredients necessary to provide safe, effective, balanced protection. Most commercial sunscreens use up to six different chemical UV absorbers, such as Oxybenzone and Avobenzone and others. Such Chemicals are known to travel throughout human bodies, and accumulate in organs.
Many chemical UV absorbers are highly photounstable after absorbing just a few minutes of UV radiation, forcing them to undergo chemical changes, releasing free radicals. Many water-based commercial sunscreens break down under environmental conditions and can not meet the needs and demands of the active consumer. Chemical UV absorbers have been shown to contribute to bleaching of reefs and ecosystems and are not biodegradable. Sunscreen sprays release nearly as much chemicals into the environment as they do intended skin, furthermore many chemicals are inhaled. A form of Vitamin A, Retinyl Palmitate, found in 41% of sunscreens, is now considered to be photocarcinogenic. SPF Values about 40 offer negligible protection, though may offer a false sense of security to the consumer who believes extended stays in the sun are safe. The use of commercial preservatives may contribute some sunscreen filters degradation.
Raw Elements USA Mission
To provide the world's safest, most effective sunscreen - for consumers and the eco system.
Raw Elements USA's Approach to Balanced Protection
There seems to be a race to the highest SPF number possible in sunscreens on the shelf today. Unfortunately, many do not understand that the SPF number only refers to a product's UVB protection and has absolutely no correlation to UVA protection, regardless of how high the SPF number is. The term "Broad Spectrum" is used loosely and does not truly define any level of protection. Raw Elements USA does understand this, and find it completely unacceptable.
Their Performance Formulas Exceed the FDA "Very Water Resistant" standard by 100 minutes - these formulas retain 99.7% of their protection after 180 submersed in moving water.
Organic Eco-Shield Performance Technology is the all natural, organic solution. From the onset, the objective was clear: to find a chemical free, natural solution that could deliver lasting, balanced protection under tough environmental conditions. The result is a proprietary technology which provides a weather resistant barrier, retains hydration to the skin, and physically filters high levels of UVA radiation. Organic Eco-Shield also provides the skin with unparalleled levels of active antioxidants, and vitamins which boost biological resistance to UV damage. The combination of Organic Eco-Shield Performance Technology and the specific Zinc Oxide utilized is what provides the highest levels of balanced broad spectrum protection available!
"After years of chemical sunscreen use and environmental skin damage, I began to wonder why this isn't working, and what is in these sunscreens? After in depth research, I realized how ineffective and potentially dangerous these chemical sunscreens are to our ecosystems. These products just weren't cutting it, and could not protect us effectively. As the authority on the beach, it was discouraging to not be able to suggest a sunscreen that I believe in to a mother asking about her child. So I decided it was my time to make a difference. I set out to make the best sunscreen, all natural, free of chemicals, and able to provide balanced protection - Raw Elements USA was born. Coming from the Lifeguard's perspective, Prevention and Performance was the key focus." - Lifeguard Captain Brian Guadagno, Founder of Raw Elements USA; Inventor of Organic Eco-Shield Performance
Why does Raw Elements USA not use Chemical UV Absorbers?
Through tireless R&D, they determined that the physical eco-protection system provides far superior balanced broad spectrum defense than Chemical UV Absorbers. Furthermore, there is enough evidence which questions the efficacy and safety profiles of such chemical UV absorbers that they do not find their use acceptable. This proprietary Zinc Oxide is photostable, where many Chemical UV absorbers are not, and may break down inside your body.
What does Balanced Broad Spectrum truly mean?
Broad Spectrum is an FDA regulate term which refers to an ingredient, or a formula's ability to effectively absorb or physically scatter BOTH UVA and UVB rays. Though the use of this term "broad spectrum" is used pretty loosely on many commercial products, Raw Elements has much tougher standards. Where the majority of other products fall off in protection severely in the long range UVA spectrum, Raw Elements does not. Their product remains balanced across the board. This is extremely important when using sunscreen, as many reach for high SPF numbers, which may be keeping them from burning while they unknowingly are soaking up excess amounts of dangerous UVA rays.
What do you mean by Organic?
All Raw Elements formulas provide you with all natural and organic (derived from carbon, the source of all life). All ingredients marked as organic are USDA certified as such. A this time, in the current Raw Elements formulas, the only "inorganic" element is the active proprietary Zinc Oxide. Zinc Oxide is derived from Zinc Ore (zincite), which is found naturally in the earth's crust. Zinc Oxide is inert or inorganic, as it is not derived from a carbon source. This is the reason why Zinc Oxide provides superior protection, because it is inactive and physically stable.
So the SPF number only refers to UVB rays, what about UVA rays?
At this current time, FDA regulations require sunscreens (over the counter drugs) to comply to the SPF rating system. It is true that this system only refers to UVB rays, that is why it is so important to find a truly balanced Broad Spectrum sunscreen. There are current proposals with the FDA to include a UVA requirement rating system. Raw Elements USA is not waiting, their formulas provide UVA protection now. Their formulas meet and exceed international standards which currently require more protection than in the USA.
What about synthetic preservatives, fragrances and parabens?
You will never find these ingredients in any of the Raw Elements Formulas. All of their natural and organic oils, butters, extracts and botanicals carry their raw scents. As for synthetic preservatives and parabens, no way! Raw Elements does not include ingredients that might require the use of these chemicals, you'll have to find those somewhere else!
I have heard mention of Nano Particles here and elsewhere, what are they and do you use them?
Nano Particles are typically mentioned when actives such as Zinc Oxide and Titanium are discussed. A "Nano Particle," by definition, is any particle which has a mean diameter of less than 100 nanometers. To put this in perspective, a sheet of paper is about 100,000 nanometers thick. Current science and technology prove that Zinc Oxide which is in the 30-50 nanometer particle size, does not penetrate healthy skin. Having said that, none none of the Zinc Oxide in Raw Elements formulas are near that size. Their Zinc Oxide has an average particle size of just under 200 nanometers. Furthermore, it is the specific particle size which provides these formulas with superior protection. It may also be worth noting that most chemical absorbers are made up of chemicals that are ten times smaller than even those nano Zinc Oxide particles! Those chemicals, by design, absorb into your living skin.
Is Raw Elements safe to use on babies?
It is always good practice to consult with your pediatrician when concerned about the health of a baby under 6 months of age. It is also wise to keep babies out of the direct sunlight and heat. Having said that, these formulas are designed to fortify, nourish and protect those of all ages. It is their superior performance along with the gentle make up of these formulas that they believe separate Raw Elements USA from all the rest.
Does Raw Elements test on animals?
No, never. They believe in their products so much, the only testing they've done has been on themselves!
What sort of testing do Raw Elements Formulas undergo?
- All of Raw Elements formulas undergo and comply with all FDA required testing. Including, and in addition to this, RAW Elements USA tests for UVA, UVB, SPF Rating, Photostability, Water Resistance and Shelf Life.
- Raw Elements is formulated with not only the entire family in mind, but also those Professionals and Extreme Athletes whose bodies are exposed to the harshest environmental conditions. They understand those needs and demands because Raw Elements' founder is a longtime professional Ocean Rescue Lifeguard. For this reason, great energy and resources have been put into creating field test groups comprised of: Professional Lifeguards, Professional Surfers, Offshore Boat Teams, School Teachers, Mothers, Students, Emergency Response Units, Children, Professional Skiers, Snowboarders and so many others. The performance and response of these products ensure Physical protection that can be depended on.
Raw Elements USA Physical Eco Protection Sunscreen is the product of a 16 year ocean rescue lifeguard whose mission is to deliver the safest, most effective sunscreen in the world. This high performance sunscreen meets all the demands of the most extreme, yet is gentle enough for use in infant care - all delivered in a chemical free, eco safe solution. Raw Elements USA is the conscious consumer's answer to serious, safe sun protection.