Madhava Natural Sweeteners Agave Nectar Light 23.5 oz. (667 g)
Madhava Natural Sweeteners Agave Nectar Light has a mild, pleasant neutral flavor. Light Agave Nectar adds sweetness without flavor, making it ideal for hot and cold beverages, baking, and desserts - a perfect substitute for sugar! Madhava Organic Agave Nectar comes from the Weber Blue Agave plant and offers a delicious, all-purpose alternative to processed sweeteners. It's low-glycemic and 1.4 times sweeter than sugar, so you can use less and save calories. Enjoy Agave Nectar in your favorite recipes, beverages, and anywhere you would use sugar.
Organic Agave, A Sweet Beginning!
Ten years ago, when Madhava Natural Sweeteners was the first company to introduce organic agave to the US market, it was a little known "super sweetener" from Mexico. The all-natural, organic, Non-GMO Project Verified sweetener has continued to grow in popularity. Today, Madhava has expanded their agave offerings to include new flavors and sizes so you can enjoy all of its benefits in coffee, tea, baking and more!
Madhava Organic Agave Nectar is made from the natural juice (aguamiel) of the agave plant, organically grown and sustainably farmed in the Sierra Madres region of Mexico. The heart of the plant is pressed to extract the agave juice. The juice is the filtered to remove any plant debris and heated to about 140 degrees to achieve the sweet nectar. The nectar is the filtered again to produce different flavor profiles.
Liberty, Justice and Agave for All
Madhava Organic Agave is gluten- and allergen-free, vegan, and has a low Glycemic Index, so you can avoid energy spikes that may occur with other sugars. Because agave is 1.4 times sweeter than sugar, you can use less reduce calories - making agave a healthy, easy, natural choice!
Sweeter than sugar and smoother than honey ... is there anything this magical, mysterious plant can't do? So what gives agave its advantage? Let's count the ways...
- Sweet! Agave is 1.4 times sweeter than refined sugar, so less can be used for equal sweetening.
- No High and Lows: Agave's low Glycemic Index means it is less disruptive to blood sugar levels, so it doesn't create a "sugar rush" so you can avoid the highs and lows of other sweeteners.
- Agave for everyone! Many people on special diets find agave suitable for their needs, as it is both gluten- and allergen-free.
- De-Light-Full. The lighter grade of agave nectar is flavor neutral, enhancing the flavors of foods without altering their taste.
- The power of Amber. Amber Agave makes a great substitute for maple syrup, molasses and brown sugar.
- The Raw Truth! Raw agave nectar is only mildly filtered and produced at temperatures under 118 degrees.
- So Smooth! If stored at room temperature, agave pours easily and will not harden in the bottle.
- Keeping it fresh: Agave is a moisture retainer, and increases the shelf life of baked goods due to its hygroscopic properties.
- Kosher too! Agave Nectar is Kosher Pareve and has obtained the certificate from Scrol K.
- Oh, Oh, Organic! Agave is also organic: Madhava growers use only natural fertilizers and employ agricultural practices that meet organic certification standards.
What is Madhava Organic Agave Nectar?
Madhava Organic Agave Nectar is an all-natural, organic, Non-GMO Project Verified sweetener made from the natural juice (aguamiel) of the agave plant.
Madhave Agave is organically grown and sustainably farmed in the Sierra Madres region of Mexico. The heart of the plant is pressed to extract the agave juice. The juice is then filtered to remove any plant debris. Once filtered, the juice is heated to approximately 140 degrees to achieve the sweet nectar. The nectar is then filtered again to produce the varying flavor profiles. No other ingredients are added during processing.
How do I substitute Organic Agave Nectar for refined sugar in my recipes?
Madhava Organic Agave Nectar is a great substitute for sugar in most recipes. Agave 1.4 times sweeter than sugar, so you can use less in your recipes and still have a great, sweet flavor.
In general, 2/3 cup of agave will replace 1 cup of sugar. Reduce your liquids by 1/4 cup. To prevent overbrowning of baked treats, reduce your oven temperature by 25 degrees, and increase baking time by one minute for every 15 minutes of baking time.
How does Agave Nectar compare to sugar?
Agave Nectar is a low glycemic index sweetener containing a higher amount of fructose than granulated table sugar. Fructose occurs naturally in foods you eat every day, especially fruits and vegetables. For example, one tablespoon of agave nectar contains the same amount of fructose found in one large apple or 1 cup of grapes.
Where does Agave Nectar fall on the Glycemic Index?
The Glycemic Index (GI) of Madhava's Organic Agave Nectar is 17. Agave offers a lower GI alternative to granulated table sugar, which has a GI of 68. This is important for those who wish to achieve better control of their blood glucose levels and can be a helpful tool for diabetics when planning their diets. Foods with a low GI value raise blood glucose levels less than foods with a higher GI.
As with any sweetener, or any other food, agave should be consumed in moderate amounts. Balance and moderation are key to a healthy diet and lifestyle.
Does Madhava Organic Agave Nectar contain allergens?
Madhavan Organic Agave Nectar is organic, non-GMO Project Verified, dairy free, vegan, tree nut free, peanut free, soy free and gluten free.
What is the difference between Madhava Organic Light, Raw and Amber Agave Nectar?
All three varieties of Agave nectar are USDA certified organic, and are all of equal sweetness.
- Organic Light Agave is mild and pleasant; it adds sweetness without flavor, making it ideal for hot and cold beverages, baking and desserts. It is a perfect substitute for sugar.
- Organic Raw Agave is a perfect all-purpose sweetener. It can be used for cooking, baking, and general everyday use. Mildly filtered and produced at temperatures below 118 degrees, Organic Raw Agave is the perfect sweetener for natural and raw food enthusiasts.
- Organic Amber Agave has a subtle, maple-like flavor, making it a delicious addition to entrees, sauces, roasted meat, and many other dishes. It is a great substitute for brown sugar, maple syrup, or molasses.
What is the shelf life of Organic Agave Nectar? Is refrigeration required?
All Madhava Natural Sweeteners are guaranteed to remain fresh until the "best by" date printed on the container. It is best to keep these products at room temperature, no refrigeration is required.
Is Madhava packaging BPA Free?
Yes, all Madhava packaging is BPA free.
About Madhava Natural Sweeteners
Sweeten up your life (the all-natural way!)
Madhava Natural Sweeteners is dedicated to providing natural and healthier alternatives to highly processed, refined sugars and artificial sweeteners. They currently offer three product lines for your sweetening needs: Organic Agave Nectar, Organic Coconut Sugar and Pure Honey.
Born of Honey
Founded in 1973 in Boulder - the birthplace of the natural foods industry - Madhava Natural Sweeteners is a true legacy natural foods brand, and is a company unlike any other. Madhava is a Sanskrit word meaning "Born of Honey" or "Born of Light" which is a derivation of the Sanskrit word madhu meaning "sweet." They believe it is the perfect name for a true, natural foods company born out of the simple love for the sweet life!
How It All Began
With the help of some food-loving "hippie" friends, Madhava Founder Bart Utley purchased a small, but scenic farm with a 100-year-old farmhouse, southeast of Longmont, Colorado in 1973. Eager to get started, he moved right in and began business. Resourceful and conscientious, the entire place was built from salvaged and recycled materials. The farm and beekeeping operations were run by Bart Utley, and honey was purchased from local beekeepers.
Busy As A...Well, You Know
In 1976, Craig Gerbore was hired and ran it as a one-man operation, until just recently. And although he is no longer involved in day-to-day beekeeping operations, Craig is still involved in steering, guiding and advising Madhava Natural Sweeteners.
Today, Madhava Natural Sweeteners is still privately owned and operated in the foothills of Colorado. And even though they've grown considerably since their humble beginnings, Madhava is still a grassroots company at heart. They continue to buy from small, family-owned beekeepers, and supply their all-natural sweeteners to their terrific customers one jar at a time. Madhava: still dedicated to bringing you the highest quality natural sweeteners on the planet!