99% Aloe Vera Gelly Soothing Moisturizer by Lily Of The Desert
Lily Of The Desert - 99% Aloe Vera Gelly Soothing Moisturizer - 4 oz. (114 gm)
Lily of the Desert's 99% Aloe Vera Gelly Soothing Moisturizer is free from artificial color and fragrance, and provides relief from sunburns, minor cuts, burns, insect bites, cold sores, rashes, and other skin irritations. It can also be used as a soothing moisturizer for sensitive skin.
Topical Skin Protection
Lily of the Desert's topical balm, gellies, and sunscreens aid in relieving and preventing sunburns, minor cuts, chafing, skin irritation, and chapped lips. These products are designed specifically for customers who want quality skin care and protection.
- No Parabens
- No Artificial Colors
- No Synthetic Fragrances
- No Animal Testing
History of Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera has been used in the fields of medicine and cosmetics for Centuries. Ancient records show that the medicinal properties and healing advantages of Aloe Vera have been known for over 5000 years. The Bible mentions Aloe Vera in over a dozen passages, referring to it as the "bitter herb". The Biblical account of Christ's burial states that his body was anointed with bitter Aloes.
Ancient Chinese and Egyptians used Aloe Vera to treat burns, wounds, and to reduce fever. Cleopatra, the Egyptian Queen, credited her irresistible charm and vibrant beauty to regular use of Aloe Vera gel. Legend reports that Alexander the Great, upon the advice of Aristotle, conquered the island of Socotra off the coast of Africa to secure supplies of Aloe Vera in order to treat the wounds of soldiers.
In 1944, the benefits of Aloe Vera were firmly established in the United States, when it was learned that the Japanese who were exposed to the "A" bomb. The injured that applied Aloe gel to their wounds reported faster healing of their wounds than others and had significantly less scaring.
Today, it appears that science is re-discovering what our ancestors knew. New studies continue to provide proof of the benefits of Aloe Vera both when applied externally and ingested INTERNALLY. It is currently one of the most studied herbs in the Natural Products category.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the difference between your Lily Gels and the Gellies?
The 99% Aloe Vera Gelly is specifically formulated to be a topical only. You can use it to help maintain healthy skin. Lily of the Desert Gels, which contain citric acid, are meant to be used internally to help maintain healthy digestion. Lily of the Desert does not recommend using the Gels as a topical as the pH levels are different.
What is Aloe Vera?
Aloe Vera is a succulent plant member of the lily family. Aloe Barbadensis Miller is the actual botanical name for the variety grown commercially for the healing and moisturizing properties of the gel found in its leaves.
What we know about the Aloe Vera plant:
- There are over 400 species of Aloe Vera plants
- Aloe is the most studied herb
- Aloe contains over 200 biologically active, naturally occurring constituents
- Aloe Vera directly absorbs water from the surrounding soil system
- Aloe Vera plants reach maturity at 3-4 years
- An adult plant can reach a height of 30 inches with up to 21 leaves
Active Qualities of Aloe Vera
Aloe vera has three layers to each leaf which are filled with nutrients; the leaf or outer rind, the inner gel, and the Aloin or thin, slimy mucilage layer commonly known as the "yellow sap".
Aloe vera contains 18 amino acids, plus Vitamins A, B1, B2, B3, B6, C, and E. It also contains sodium, potassium, calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, and chloride, as well as traces of magnesium and zinc. In addition to these major constituents, aloe vera contains numerous other naturally occurring vitamins and minerals.
Aloe vera is filled with Aloe Polysaccharides which are the naturally occurring active components that promote absorption, digestive health, immune qualities, anti-inflammatory, and overall health benefits.
While Aloe researchers report that aloe vera contains over 200 biologically active constituents, the aloe polysaccharide is the main naturally occurring active constituent in aloe vera that allows all of the benefits to be activated in the body. Polysaccharides are very safe in all toxicity studies, showing no side effects. In the makeup of the total solids found in aloe vera, polysaccharides represent approximately 20-25%. Most commercially produced aloe vera contains very little polysaccharides as they are destroyed in the processing by heat and enzymes. When they are broken in processing, they become simple sugars, and the body will not absorb them.
- These glycol-nutrients are sugar molecules linked together like a string of beads.
- Size varies based on molecular weight from 10,000 Daltons to 7 Million Daltons.
1. Lower Dalton weights (10,000 - 100,000) are most effective for supporting skin regeneration.
2. Higher Dalton weights (100,000 - 7 Million) are most effective with immune, anti-inflammatory, and absorption support.
3. The highest molecular weight ever studied were the Aloeride polysaccharides from 4 Million - 7 Million Dalton weight found
in Lily of the Desert aloe vera juice.
- It is important that aloe products have the full range of polysaccharides to provide maximum health benefits.
- Aloe polysaccharides are very efficacious both orally and topically.
- scientific studies confirm that aloe vera contains approximately 200 naturally occurring biologically active constituents. Most of aloe vera's biological activity is attributed to the polysaccharide fraction.
- The higher molecular weight polysaccharides are found in the aloe vera inner gel while the highest total polysaccharide (volume) is found in the whole leaf aloe vera.
- Most commercial aloe vera products contain very little polysaccharides as the sugars are destroyed in the processing by heat, enzymes, etc.
- When the long chain polysaccharides are broken in processing, they become simple sugars; the body will not absorb them.
Certified Organic Aloe Vera
As aloe vera is a succulent plant, it directly absorbs water from the surrounding soil system. If the soil contains herbicides, pesticides, or other chemicals, the artificial chemicals would be directly absorbed into the leaves and could cause damage to the nutrients in the plant. Lily of the Desert Certified Organic aloe vera does not contain any herbicides, pesticides, or harsh chemicals.
Fillet vs. Whole Leaf Aloe Vera
Fillet aloe vera products are made by filleting off the outer rind of the aloe leaf and processing only the inner gel. Whole Leaf products are made by processing the entire leaf and filtering out the unwanted bitter constituents.
The Difference Between Gel and Juice
Aloe vera gel is actually made from the aloe vera juice by adding a food grade thickening agent called Carrageenan, which is a naturally occurring Sea kelp/Irish moss. They are almost equally effective because the Lily of the Desert juice products contain 99.7% aloe vera, while the gel products contain 99.5% aloe vera. Juice products are typically made for dietary supplement purposes, while Gel products are more commonly used for topical application, though they can be orally ingested and/or soothing to your throat, stomach, and digestive tract.
Common Uses for Aloe Vera
Improve Overall Health
Aloe Vera helps support a healthy immune system, as well as many other natural body functions. It is great as a part of a daily healthy maintenance regimen. It also works great to take in conjunction with daily vitamins and herbal supplementation. Studies confirm that taking daily vitamin supplements with aloe vera juice instead of water can improve the bioavailability (absorption) of the supplements.
Aloe vera helps promote healthy digestion throughout the entire digestive tract including the esophagus, stomach, small & large intestines, and the colon. It helps restore and promote regularity.
Muscle and Joint Support
Aloe vera helps support normal muscle, tissue, and joint functions.
Aloe vera helps maintain healthy gums, mouth, and throat environment.
Aloe vera is effective for minor abrasions, acne, burns, cold sores, cuts, dry skin, insect bites, scrapes, skin moisturizer, and sunburn.
Benefits of Aloe Vera
Aloe researchers report that when taken internally, aloe vera coats the lining of the digestive tract allowing absorption of the aloe polysaccharide. Recent studies have shown benefits of using Aloe when taking supplements versus using water. One study showed an increase of over 204% absorption of Vitamin C & E when using Fillet gel. Another study showed an increase of 210% absorption of Vitamin C and 180% of Vitamin B12 when using Fillet juice. Whole Leaf juice resulted in 140% increase of Vitamin C and 160% increased absorption of Vitamin B12.
- Antioxidant support
- Joint and Muscle health support
- Digestive support
- Gastrointestinal Relief
- Increased Absorption
- Immune Support
Aloe researchers report that Aloe can penetrate through 3 epidermal layers of the skin when used topically. It provides the benefit of driving nutrients and other constituents into the deeper layers of the skin, which promotes epidermal health.
- Sunburn relief
- Burn and Wound relief
- Skin Moisturizer
- Digestive Health Support
- Aloe vera, when taken orally provides a thin layer of nutritional coating in the lining of the stomach, esophagus, and gastrointestinal tract that remain intact for forty-eight hours. This coating serves as the foundation allowing polysaccharides to enter into the digestive tract with the other naturally occurring constituents and begin the healing process.
- Lily of the Desert aloe products contain no more than 1-4 ppm of anthraquoine provide safe and effective cathartic effects to support constipation and regularity.
- Recent studies have shown that aloe vera can promote tissue and cell regeneration and a healthy digestive system including support of: Acid Reflux, Heartburn, IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome), and Constipation.
- Anti-Inflammatory Support
- Studies confirm that aloe vera contains glucomannans, a special cell-surface receptor which repair damaged tissue.
- Plant hormones in aloe vera called auxins and gibberellins accelerate healing by stimulating cell replication
- The combination of salicylic acid and magnesium work together like an analgesic to soothe and relieve pain on contact.
- The sodium in aloe vera helps prevent calcium build up in joints and bones.
- The absorption benefits allow the penetration and absorption of other active constituents to maximize their known benefits of joint and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Dr. Ian Tizard of Texas A & M University did research on aloe's effect on inflammation. Results showed that aloe has a second anti-inflammatory mechanism by blocking certain bacteria or viruses that invade the body. Evidence has been presented to show that certain aloe-derived carbohydrates bind specifically to carbohydrate-binding sites. In doing this, they significantly reduce swelling and redness in some models of experimental inflammation.
- Immune Support
- Macrophages are specific cells of the Immune System. Studies show that aloe has a stimulating effect of the acetylated mannan (polysaccharides) on this primary cell, and that macrophages interact with other cells within the immune system to play a vital role in the body's defense system.
- Studies confirm that aloe polysaccharides above the Dalton weight of 100,000 provide immune support. The higher the molecular weight, the greater the immune support.
- Studies show that Polysaccharides may increase the action of white blood cells, thus increasing the production or what is referred to as the "Killer" in T-cells.
- Researchers report that aloe vera has been proven to enhance the immune system's response to cancer by promoting the growth of new and healthy cells and reducing the overall viral load within the body thereby revitalizing the body in its fight against cancer.
- Researchers repot that aloe vera can help reduce the damage to immune system cells when radiation and chemotherapy are used, which is critical in the body's recovery.
- Aloe may support Immune Depressed conditions.
- Skin Health
- Studies show that aloe vera can penetrate 3 epidermal layers of the skin.
- High polysaccharide aloe vera gel may improve absorption of other botanical herbs and vitamins.
- Wound healing studies report that aloe vera interacts with cell surface receptors to repair fibroblast, stimulating faster growth and replication.
- Normal skin cells are replaced in 180 - 200 days. Faster cell growth means healthier skin. Aloe vera can promote healthier skin.
- Typically, aloe vera products should contain a significant quantity of aloe vera in the formula (30% - 99%) to be most effective on human skin.
- Most aloe topical products at retail stores contain less than 1% - 10% aloe vera in creams, lotions, and other body products. Lily of the Desert topical products contain up to 99% organic aloe vera.
About Lily of the Desert
Founded in 1971, Lily of the Desert Organic Aloeceuticals is a family-owned vertically integrated grower, processor, and manufacturer of leading aloe vera based products. As the largest U.S. grower and processor of aloe vera products in the natural products industry, Lily of the Desert branded products are successfully marketed into over 40 countries around the globe. Lily of the Desert products have been distributed throughout natural products and health food stores since the business began. The company has been known throughout the years to set a high standard in the industry for quality aloe vera products.
Lily of the Desert owns the organic aloe vera farms and processing facilities for manufacturing the numerous unique aloe vera products that carry their brand name. This is rare amongst aloe vera companies in the natural products industry. Lily of the Desert aloe vera is grown and processed in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas and the desert of Mexico. Their corporate headquarters are in Denton, Texas.
The Lily of the Desert brand of aloe vera products is the leader of the aloe vera category in the natural products industry, exceeding the next 6 competitors in total unit sales (ref. SPINS). Their products can be found in 99% of health food stores and major grocery chains across the U.S. The Lily of the Desert brand is known and respected for using the highest quality aloe vera and having the best efficacy of aloe vera benefits in the industry.