AZO Urinary Pain Relief Maximum Strength - 12 Tablets
To relieve UTI symptoms, trust AZO Urinary Pain Relief Maximum Strength, the #1 pharmacist-recommended brand. AZO Maximum Strength Urinary Pain Relief provides fast relief from urinary pain, burning, urgency and frequency associated with urinary tract infections. Symptoms of urinary discomfort may indicate a urinary tract infection (UTI). If so, you need to call your doctor to get diagnosed and obtain a prescription to treat the infection. While you wait to get to the doctor and for the prescription to begin to work, get fast relief of painful UTI symptoms with AZO Standard and AZO Urinary Pain Relief Maximum Strength, the #1 pharmacist-recommended over-the-counter brand for urinary pain relief.
Get fast, maximum strength over-the-counter relief of UTI symptoms with AZO Urinary Pain Relief Maximum Strength.
- #1 pharmacist-recommended brand.
- Provides fast, maximum strength OTC relief of urinary pain, burning and urgency.
- Proven to go directly to the site of discomfort and provides relief in as little as 20 minutes — right where it hurts, unlike general pain relievers.
- Contains Phenazopyridine Hydrochloride, the #1 ingredient prescribed by doctors and recommended by pharmacists† specifically for urinary discomfort (something that general pain relievers with acetaminophen or ibuprofen do not contain.)
- Contains more of the active ingredient per tablet than other leading OTC brands.
What is Urinary Health?
Maintaining good urinary tract health is the key to avoiding problems in your urinary system, including your bladder, kidneys or urethra.
What is a urinary tract infection (UTI)?
Urinary tract infections (UTI) are caused when bacteria enter the opening of the urethra and multiply. If left untreated, the infection can spread to other parts of the urinary tract, including the bladder and kidneys, and lead to a more serious condition. That's why it so important to see your doctor as soon as you experience symptoms. Only your doctor can prescribe an antibiotic to treat your UTI.
AZO can help you quickly and easily diagnose a UTI (AZO Test Strips), quickly treat UTI symptoms such as painful burning and urgency, (AZO Standard and AZO Standard Maximum Strength) and help maintain a healthy urinary tract (AZO Cranberry).
About urinary tract infections (UTIs).
You're not alone. After the flu and the common cold, urinary tract infections are the most common medical complaint among women age 18+, and it has been estimated that up to 60% of women will experience the unbearable pain and discomfort of a UTI at least once during their lives. The rate of repeat infections is high as well - about 20% of those who experience one UTI will have another. Furthermore, each year about 250,000 women develop kidney infections and 100,000 are hospitalized for treatment.
What causes these infections? Why are they so painful? How do you treat them? (And keep them from happening again?)
What is it?
A UTI is an infection anywhere in the urinary tract, such as the kidneys, bladder and urethra. Usually, the bacteria that cause a UTI enter the urethra and may travel to the bladder and kidneys. Your body often removes these bacteria, so there may not even be symptoms. Without treatment, the infection can lead to a more serious condition.
Both men and women can get urinary tract infections, although women are 30 times more likely. That's because the bacteria that commonly cause a UTI are found in the digestive tract, stool, and on the skin around and between a woman's anus and vagina. Since the female urethra is located very near these areas, the likelihood of bacteria reaching it is great. The short length of a female's urethra also makes her more prone to infection in other parts of the urinary tract.
A woman's likelihood of developing a UTI increases as she ages and goes through certain life stages. Other more common risk factors and triggers for a UTI include:
- Sexual intercourse, which can irritate the urethra, allowing bacteria to more easily travel to the bladder. Women who use diaphragms and/or spermicidal agents for birth control may also be at higher risk.
- Some medications which may lower immunity.
- Hormonal changes that occur during pregnancy, childbirth and menopause.
- Diabetes or other chronic illnesses that may impair the immune system.
- Exposure to damp clothes, such as wet bathing suits, which can aggravate bacteria growth.
Most women don't have recurring infections, but it is common - in fact, one out of five women who get a UTI will get another one. If you do get another UTI, speak with your doctor about treatment options, he or she may prescribe a longer course of antibiotics or have other options for you, such as taking a single dose of antibiotic after sexual intercourse. You may also take AZO Cranberry to help maintain a healthy urinary tract.
Once diagnosed, most UTIs can be treated successfully. But urinary tract infections that are left untreated can lead to more serious complications like kidney infections, which may cause permanent damage. Women who have UTIs while pregnant may also have an increased risk of delivering low birth weight or premature infants.
Do I have a UTI?
Not everyone with a urinary tract infection develops symptoms, but most people have at least some. You may have a UTI if you experience two or more of the following urinary tract infection symptoms:
- You feel a strong, persistent need to urinate, yet only pass a small amount
- You experience a burning sensation when you urinate
- Your urine is cloudy or contains blood
- Your urine has a strong odor
- You have pain in your back or lower abdomen
- You experience nausea, vomiting and/or just feel ill
If so, see your doctor, because the sooner you get treatment, the better. An untreated UTI could lead to serious complications. Your doctor will test a sample of your urine. Once the bacteria are identified, your doctor can prescribe an antibiotic to kill them. If you don't get an antibiotic, you won't get rid of the bacteria that caused your UTI and serious health problems may develop.
Test at home
You can also use AZO Test Strips – the same trusted test used in doctor's offices – to determine if the bacteria that cause a UTI are present, then call your doctor with the results. The most reliable, over-the-counter home test available, AZO Test Strips offer two tests in one - including both Leukocyte (white blood cells) and Nitrite tests – which makes them more accurate than nitrite-only tests. (Doctors look for Leukocytes as well as Nitrites in diagnosing UTIs.)
In the meantime, you can get fast relief from the pain and urgency of urinary tract infection symptoms with AZO Standard and AZO StandardMaximum Strength, the #1 pharmacist recommended, over-the-counter brand proven to relieve UTI symptoms fast.
How do I treat a UTI?
Remember, only your doctor can prescribe an antibiotic to kill the exact kind of bacteria that is causing your UTI. For a simple infection, you may take the antibiotic for 3 days or so. For a more serious infection, you may be given a prescription for 7 days or more.
Before you can see a doctor, or until the antibiotic starts to work, you can relieve the painful symptoms FAST with an over-the-counter urinary pain reliever like AZO Standard or AZO Standard Maximum Strength.
If you have recurrent UTIs, your doctor may suggest a different treatment course, or lifestyle changes. Make sure your doctor is aware of any other medications you may be taking, or allergies you have, and follow all instructions carefully for best results.
Fast relief for UTI symptoms
In the meantime, if you experience symptoms like pain, burning and frequent, urgent urination, you can get fast relief with AZO Standard or AZO Standard Maximum Strength. Take the tablets for just two days to relieve the pain, burning and urgency. It will not interfere with your antibiotic, but relieves the pain until the antibiotic starts to work.
AZO Standard and AZO Standard Maximum Strength contain Phenazopyridine Hydrochloride, the #1 urinary specific ingredient prescribed by doctors for urinary discomfort. That's something that Tylenol, Advil and other popular pain relievers don't contain. Keep it in your medicine chest, so it's there for you at the first, painful sign of a UTI. It can start working in as little as 20 minutes. Use it only when you think you may have a UTI, not for menstrual pain, headaches, or other pain. And don't take AZO Standard or AZO Standard Maximum Strength for more than two days without consulting your physician.
What else you can do
- Drinking plenty of water may help to dilute your urine and help flush out bacteria.
- Avoid coffee, alcohol and soft drinks that contain citrus juices and caffeine, as they can irritate your bladder and aggravate your need to urinate.
- A heating pad placed over your abdomen can ease pressure and discomfort
- Drink 8-16 ounces of cranberry juice daily to keep bacteria from growing and clinging to your bladder wall. Or take AZO Cranberry tablets to get benefits of cranberry juice in a more convenient way.
Will a UTI come back?
Most women don't have recurring infections, but it is common - in fact, one out of five women who get a UTI will get another one. If you do get another UTI, speak with your doctor about treatment options, he or she may prescribe a longer course of antibiotics or have other options for you. Changing some of your daily habits may also help to prevent future recurrences.
Can I prevent a UTI?
Once you experience a urinary tract infection, you'll do whatever it takes to prevent another UTI. However, recurring infections are actually quite common, with some women having 3 or more UTIs a year.
In fact, a woman's body has infection-fighting properties that normally protect the urinary system and prevent the growth of bacteria. But since the bacteria that cause a UTI are most commonly found in the digestive tract and stool, their proximity to the female urethra increases the likelihood of an infection.
So UTIs may happen, no matter how careful you are. Luckily, there are things you can do to try and reduce your chances of getting one. The most important step is to talk with your doctor about urinary tract infection prevention. He or she may prescribe an antibiotic, or suggest lifestyle changes that could help you avoid a UTI.
Here are some other tips to help you prevent a UTI:
- Drink lots of water.
- Drink 8-16 ounces of cranberry juice daily to keep bacteria from growing and clinging to your bladder wall. Or take AZO CRANBERRY tablets to get benefits of cranberry juice in a convenient tablet.
- Wipe from front to back when you go to the bathroom.
- If you are sexually active, go to the bathroom right after you have sex.
- Go to the bathroom as soon as you feel the need, rather than when the urge becomes strong.
- Use tampons instead of sanitary pads and change them every three to four hours.
- Wear clean cotton underwear that will allow air circulation and discourage the warm, moist environment necessary for bacteria growth.
- Don't hang around in a wet bathing suit or on a damp towel. Get into dry stuff as soon as you can.
- Avoid wearing tight clothes like ultra skin-tight jeans.
Can cranberries really help?
Yes. Studies show that cranberries, which are loaded with vitamin C and other antioxidants, can help prevent bacteria in the urinary tract from attaching to the bladder wall. To get benefits of cranberry juice without all the sugar, try AZO Cranberry tablets to help maintain a health urinary tract.
Frequently Asked Questions:
What causes a Urinary Tract Infection (UTI)?
Bacteria attaching to the bladder wall most often cause urinary tract infections. The most common bacteria to cause a UTI are found in the rectum.
Does this product contain gluten?
No, AZO Standard and AZO Standard Maximum Strength do not contain wheat or wheat byproducts. They may contain cornstarch.
Will AZO Standard and AZO Maximum Strength cure my UTI?
No, AZO Standard and AZO Standard Maximum Strength are not antibiotics. The only clinically proven cure for a UTI is a prescription antibiotic.
How long can I take AZO and AZO Standard Maximum Strength?
The recommended dosage is two (2) tablets three times a day. Do not use for more than 2 days (12 tablets) without consulting a doctor.
Can men take AZO and AZO Maximum Strength ?
Yes, AZO and AZO Maximum Strength will effectively treat UTI symptoms in both men and women.
Can I take AZO and AZO Maximum Strength if I am pregnant or breastfeeding?
Please consult your healthcare professional before taking if you are pregnant or breastfeeding. There have not been any studies done to determine if Phenazopyridine hydrochloride passes to the baby or through breast milk.
Can I take AZO and AZO Maximum Strength for more than two days?
Amerifit Brands cannot recommend taking AZO Standard and AZO Standard Maximum Strength for more than two days. There have been no long-term usage studies done on this product. As always, be sure to discuss your needs with your healthcare professional.
How long does AZO Standard and AZO Standard Maximum Strength stay in the body?
AZO Standard and AZO Standard Maximum Strength will stay in your system for 24-48 hours. The exact amount of time will vary for each individual. It is reasonable to think that once the urine has returned to its normal color than the body has passed it.
Will AZO and AZO Maximum Strength interfere with drug tests?
AZO Maximum Strength may interfere with the reading of any colorimetric urine analysis, as the dye will color the test pads and may make them difficult to read.
Can I take only half a tablet?
No, the tablets are not scored and should be taken whole. Cutting the tablet will break the thin protective coating and may cause staining on the skin and any other surface they come in contact with.
Can I chew AZO Maximum Strength tablets?
No, chewing the tablets will cause the teeth and mouth to become stained by the Phenazopyridine, an organic dye. The tablets are to be taken whole, not cut, chewed or crushed.
How can AZO Maximum Strength stain my contact lenses?
This warning is for the handling of the tablets and then handling contact lenses. If the tablets are handled long enough to dissolve the thin coating on the tablets, then the dye can transfer from your fingers to contact lenses. This situation is true with any objects you may come in contact with after handling the AZO Standard and AZO Standard Maximum Strength tablets.
What kind of food allergies does the package refer to?
Phenazopyridine Hydrochloride is an organic dye. If you are sensitive to dyes in foods then you may be sensitive to AZO Standard and AZO Standard Maximum Strength. Amerifit Brands recommends you consult your healthcare professional before taking.
Can I give AZO Maximum Strength to a child?
AZO Maximum Strength are not recommended for children under the age of 12, unless specifically recommended by a healthcare professional.
Can I give AZO Maximum Strength to my pet?
AZO Maximum Strength are intended for human consumption. There is no way for us to predict how a pet will respond.
About Amerifit Brands
Amerifit Brands is a branch of i-Health. i-Health, Inc is a division of DSM Nutritional Products, a consumer health and wellness company that develops, markets and distributes branded products that support natural wellness. i- Health, Inc. is driven by a solid foundation of powerful brands and excellent customers. We hold the #1 brand position in all of our key product categories and can be found in most major mass, club, drug, grocery and specialty stores. Our dedication to quality is a commitment solidly backed by quality ingredients, stringent quality control measures and continuous improvement through research and innovation. We believe in best in class formulations and rely on strong science to support our brands.
i-Health Mission Statement
i-Health, Inc. is a unique health and wellness company committed to improving the lives of our consumers through innovative and effective Natural and Over the Counter consumer health products consistent with our values.
- Confidence: With confidence in proven abilities to succeed, we inspire others to share our passion for our market-leading brands and support our initiatives.
- Excellence: We strive for excellence by establishing the highest standards of quality for our products and fostering a high performance culture throughout the organization.
- Progressive: To flourish in a dynamic, environmentally responsible marketplace we focus on future possibilities through continuous improvement, a willingness to take risks, and embracing change.
- Unified: By working together, sharing responsibility and decision-making, we multiply the creativity, talents, and contributions of individuals to better accomplish our common goals.