Lip & Face Screen Natural by Beyond Coastal
Beyond Coastal - Lip & Face Screen Natural 30 SPF - 0.9
Beyond Coastal Natural Lip and Face Screen provides natural sun protection for sand, snow, wind and water. Formulated to give outdoor athletes maximum lip and face protection under the most demanding conditions. Beyond Coastal's Natural Lip & Face Screen SPF 30 delivers broad spectrum protection from the sun's UVA/UVB rays that won't sweat off. Packed with skin restoring antioxidants, Beyond Coastal's Natural Lip & Face Screen is perfect for skiers, mountaineers, and fishermen—anyone who is subjected to the refractive glare of the sun. It is the ultimate natural sun protection.
Beyond Natural Clear Sunscreen Features
- Natural broad spectrum UVA/UVB protection with Zinc Oxide and Titanium Dioxide
- Clean, Healthy, Vitamin-A Free Sunscreen
- Skin Restoring, Antioxidant Rich
- Spot coverage– cheeks, nose and ears
- Long Lasting; Water Resistant
- Gluten Free, Cruelty Free, Reef Safe
- Paraben Free, Petroleum Free, Fragrance Free
- High reflective glare activities:
- Spot coverage on cheeks, nose and under the eyes when extra protection is desired
- Water activities where one is in and out of the water a lot
About Sun Exposure Effects
Why should you care about sun exposure? You tan, you burn, it's something we all know well. Less well known are the long-term effects of both. Current research indicates sun exposure causes premature skin aging and skin cancer. Consider:
- Skin cancer is the most prevalent form of cancer in the U.S. More than 1 million people are diagnosed with non-melanoma skin cancer each year.
- One in five Americans will develop skin cancer in their lifetime
- One in three Caucasians will have skin cancer.
- The sun’s UVA rays are considered cancer causing. UVB rays may also contribute to skin cancer.
- One blistering sunburn episode as a child more than doubles your chances of developing skin cancer later in life.
- UVA and UVB rays change the skin’s texture over time causing wrinkling, age spots and premature aging.
The good news is that skin cancer is largely preventable.Skin health is assured with a program based on broad spectrum sun protection. A broad spectrum program denotes protection from UVA and UVB rays by using sun shielding clothing or broad spectrum sunscreen.
All of Beyond Coastal’s sunscreen and lip balm formulas offer broad spectrum protection. Not only do they protect against UVA and UVB rays, each formula contains natural anti-oxidants to fight UV free radicals, which contribute to skin aging and skin cancer.
Beyond Coastal sun care products can help protect you and your family from harmful UVA and UVB rays and reduce the chances of skin cancer, sun damage and premature skin aging. Follow Beyond Coastal's Sun Protection Tips to reduce the harmful effects of the sun and keep your skin healthy for years to come.
Sun Safety Tips
- Use a Broad Spectrum SPF 15 sunscreen every day. Even on cloudy and overcast days 40% of the sun's UV rays reach the earth. A sun protection program should be used 365 days a year. Daily Active SPF 15 Sunscreen.
- Cover up with clothing (UV rated material is best), including a wide-brimmed hat, and UV blocking sunglasses. The sun can burn your eyes too!
- If possible limit your sun exposure between the hours of 10am to 4pm. UVA and UVB rays are most intense when your shadow is shorter.
- Keep in mind that snow, water and sand reflect UV rays intensifying your exposure.
- When playing or working outdoors use a broad spectrum SPF 30 sunscreen Active SPF 30 Sunscreen.
- Apply your sunscreen generously - 2 tablespoons, 1 oz. or a shot glass of sunscreen for the whole body.
- Apply it 30 minutes before going into the sun. This allows the sunscreen to absorb into the skin.
- Re-apply sunscreen often, at least every 2 hours, more if sweating or in and out of the water. Don't forget to apply sunscreen to highly exposed areas like your ears, lips, feet, hand and neck. These spots are often neglected and can burn easily. Beyond Coastal’s Natural SPF 30 Sunscreen. Natural and Active Lip Balm. Natural Lip and Face Screen.
- Keep newborns out of the sun, and use an all-natural sunscreen on babies over the age of six months.
- Never leave children exposed to the sun without adequate protection. Over-exposure and multiple sunburns early in life may lead to skin cancers later in life. Kids Natural SPF 30 Sunscreen.
- See your doctor every year for a skin exam. Examine you birthday suit on your birthday.
- Do not get sunburned.
UV Sun Protection
Sunlight consists of visible and invisible light. Ultraviolet (UV) light is invisible and comprises 5% of the light that reaches the earth's atmosphere. UV rays are classified according to their wave length, measured in nanometers (nm). A nanometer is one billionth of an inch. There are three categories of UV rays:
- UVA (320-400 nm)
- UVA I (340-400 nm)
- UVA II (320-340 nm)
- UVB (290-300 nm)
- UVC (200-290 nm)
The majority of the UV light reaching the earth is in the form of UVA rays. UVB rays account for less than 4% of all UV light reaching the earth.UVC rays are usually blocked by the earth's atmosphere and not a concern to humans except at high altitudes or in areas of low atmospheric ozone.
UVB rays are shorter rays than UVA rays and penetrate the superficial skin layer (epidermis) causing the skin to tan or burn. UVB skin damage is readily apparent as sun burn and is a marker for UV over exposure. Most UVB skin damage occurs between the hours of 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. when the sun is at it's peak. As a general rule of thumb remember UVB damage is greater when your shadow is shorter. UVB rays are connected to premature skin aging and melanoma skin cancer.
UVA rays are the main cause of basal and squamous cell carcinomas and premature skin aging. These rays are longer than UVB rays and penetrate into the middle skin layer, the dermis. UVA skin damage is not readily apparent; you don't get burned. The effects of UVA over exposure may not be noticeable for years.
UVA rays are more subtle than UVB rays as they are strong throughout the day and can penetrate cloud cover and most glass. You can suffer from UVA exposure on cloudy days; while sitting in your car; or at a window, in the sun. UVA exposure is the most compelling reason to use sunscreen every day. You are often exposed to it when you least suspect it.
To protect yourself from UVA and UVB exposure you need true broad spectrum protection. Broad spectrum denotes protection from both UVA and UVB rays. Many sunscreens claim broad spectrum protection but offer only UVB protection.
In the U.S. there are only nine FDA approved ingredients that offer UVA protection: and of these nine only AVOBENZONE (Parsol 1789), Encamsule and ZINC OXIDE offer total UVA protection.
If your sunscreen does not have one of these ingredients you are not getting true broad spectrum protection and are susceptible to UVA skin damage and UVA caused skin cancer.
How Does Sunscreen Work?
Sunscreens have "active" ingredients that either absorb or block UVA and UVB rays. Currently there are seventeen FDA approved active sunscreen compounds but few offer UVA protection. Only AVOBENZONE, Encamsule, ZINC OXIDE and TITANIUM DIOXIDE offer significant UVA protection.
Most active ingredients do not block both UVA and UVB rays. The term broad spectrum connotes both UVA and UVB protection. Manufacturers often use a combination of actives to give broad spectrum protection.
Check to make sure your sunscreen gives true broad spectrum protection. Even if it says broad spectrum check the active ingredient label to make sure it has one of the true broad spectrum UVA actives in it. If it doesn't you are not getting broad spectrum protection. For the UVA/UVB protection Beyond Coastal actives offer see the "Active Ingredients" chart.
The Sun Protection Factor (SPF) system was developed to indicate protection from UVB rays. It DOES NOT indicate protection from UVA rays. The SPF number on your sunscreen indicates how much longer it will take you to burn than if you were not using it. If you burn in one minute without sunscreen, you would burn in 15 minutes with an SPF 15 sunscreen and 30 minutes with a SPF 30 sunscreen. This is highly dependent on many variables including: skin type, heat, humidity, how much sunscreen you used and your sun exposure over days. Use SPF numbers as guides not as hard and fast rules.
In general correct application and re-application of sunscreen is more important than relying on a high SPF number for your protection. If you are fair skinned, exercising in a hot humid environment, sweating profusely and have been doing so over a number of days your are better off applying the proper amount of SPF 15 3-4 times per day than applying an SPF 50 once.
Another way of looking at this is the percentage of UVB rays different SPFs block. SPF 10 "blocks" 90% of UVB rays, SPF 15 - 92%, SPF 30 - 97% and SPF 50 - 99%. If you apply an SPF 30 twice a day you will get more protection than applying an SPF 50 once especially if you are in and out of the water or sweating. There have been some recent tests that may refute this approach but at present it represents a "best practice."
At this time the FDA does not have a rating system for UVA protection. It has proposed a four star system that is under review. You can find more information on the final monograph here (U.S. Food and Drug Adminstration). The best way to determine the UVA protection of your sunscreen is to know what wave lengths the five UVA actives block and check to see if they are in your sunscreen. Normally a higher precentage of the ingredient means more protection at the specified wave lengths. Trade offs in ease of application or cost may accompany higher precentages of certain UVA actives.
About Beyond Coastal
Beyond Coastal's guiding principle is simple — they believe in acting responsibly and ethically in all aspects of their business. Their skin care mantra — Protects, Nourishes, Repairs and Hydrates — applies to Beyond Coastal's values as well. They are committed to protecting, nourishing, repairing and keeping the planet healthy and hydrated.
Beyond Coastal supports green initiatives and buys power using Blue Sky Renewable Energy. All their cardboard, aluminum, paper and plastic are recycled. Incoming and outgoing shipments are bulk packed using minimum of filler and cartons. Catalogs, flyers and brochures are printed on recycled paper and they hope their website reduces use!
All of Beyond Coastal's skin care products are formulated and filled in the U.S. helping them contribute to local communities. Local manufacturing also reduces transportation, lowering their carbon footprint. Employees work flex time to make time for their families and community. This also helps Beyond Coastal lower peak power demand and reduce carbon emissions. Some employees bike to work; a great green excuse to ride more!
Beyond Coastal's goal is to continue to act responsibly and ethically at work, within their community and to the planet.
Active Ingredients: Titanium Dioxide 5%, Zinc Oxide 5%
Other Ingredients: Coconut Oil, beeswax, Safflower Oil, Fractioned Coconut Oil, Shea Butter, Mango Seed Butter, Vitamin C, Aloe Vera, Vitamin E
About Beyond Coastal
Beyond Coastal's guiding principle is simple-we believe that what you put on your skin to protect should be safe, clean and healthy.
Born in the Surf, Raised in the Mountains
Years of sun exposure and the ensuing effects drove Shawn Biega to start Beyond Coastal Suncare. A diehard skier and surfer, Shawn and his cohorts spent endless hours in the sun year-round, every day their skin taking a beating. Although they wore sunscreen, too many of his friends were being diagnosed with skin cancer. After some initial research Shawn was disappointed to find the sun care market filled with greasy, chemical laden formulas that claimed broad spectrum protection.
After years of research and testing (on himself, not animals!) in surf breaks, skate parks, and ski slopes, in 2006, Beyond Coastal Suncare was born.
Two years later we grew a bit and relocated to Utah's Wasatch Mountains. We miss the surf, but love the skiing! The outdoor opportunities are plentiful in Utah and the sun is harsh. This combination continues to spur our constant research into better sun care.
As individuals we are parents, athletes, consumers and concerned members of our global community. As a company and signatory of the Campaign for Safe Cosmetics we are committed to offering your family the cleanest, healthiest sun care products possible at a reasonable price. Our formulas are crafted to offer true broad-spectrum protection and are packed with moisturizing botanical antioxidants that nourish, repair, and hydrate your skin.
We are a sun-loving culture and whatever you do to play outside, there is a healthy choice for sun protection.
2424 South 2570 West
Salt Lake City,