United Research Labs - Ferrous Sulfate Film Coated Green Tablets 325 mg. - 100 Tablets
United Research Labs Ferrous Sulfate tablets contain 65 mg of elemental iron for iron deficiency and iron deficiency anemia when such therapy has been recommended by a physician. Ferrous sulfate is a type of iron. You normally get iron from the foods you eat. In your body, iron becomes a part of your hemoglobin and myoglobin. Hemoglobin carries oxygen through your blood to tissues and organs. Myoglobin helps your muscle cells store oxygen. Ferrous Sulfate is an essential body mineral. Ferrous sulfate is used to treat iron deficiency anemia (a lack of red blood cells caused by having too little iron in the body).
Why iron is important
Iron is essential for healthy red blood cells. Iron is part of the hemoglobin molecule that gives red blood cells their color. When oxygen moves from your lungs into the blood, iron helps your red blood cells to pick up the oxygen and to carry it to all parts of your body. You may not notice it right away, but after living some time with low iron in your blood, you may feel tired, weak, and irritable.
Iron deficiency means that you have low iron levels in your blood. Iron deficiency is a serious condition.
- Iron deficiency can cause fatigue that interferes with your daily routine.
- People with iron deficiency often have trouble concentrating or remembering things.
- Iron deficiency can lead to irregular heartbeats, chest pain, and even a heart attack.
- Mothers with iron deficiency often give birth to underweight or preterm babies.
Common causes of iron deficiency anemia
Iron deficiency anemia can be caused by anything that puts unusual demands on the body’s iron stores. Sometimes it is caused by an exceptional blood loss, but at other times it can be the result of the body’s need for iron for other purposes. Some of the most common causes include:
- Menstruation - Women of childbearing age are at increased risk for iron-deficiency anemia because of blood loss during their monthly periods. About 1 in 5 women of childbearing age has iron-deficiency anemia.
- Pregnancy - Your iron requirements go up significantly when you're pregnant. Iron is essential for making hemoglobin, the protein in red blood cells that carries oxygen to other cells. During pregnancy, the amount of blood in your body increases until you have almost 50 percent more than usual. And you need more iron to make more hemoglobin for all that additional blood. You also need extra iron for your growing baby and placenta. Unfortunately, most women start pregnancy without sufficient stores of iron to meet their body's increased demands, particularly in the second and third trimesters.
- Dietary Insufficiency - Some people, particularly elderly people, simply do not eat enough. Naturally, this reduces their iron stores as well as their stores of other dietary necessities.
- Blood Loss - Intestinal tumors, ulcers, wounds, surgery, etc. can result in a loss of blood that is greater than the body’s ability to replace it by drawing on normal stores.
United Research Labs' Mission and Strategy
URL Pharma is a leading specialty pharmaceutical company committed to developing and commercializing safe, effective, and innovative medications and technologies that make a meaningful difference in the lives of patients and provide physicians with treatment options that greatly enhance patient care.
URL Pharma has more than 60 years of operating history, is highly profitable, and has a diversified product portfolio including a deep, mid-to-late-stage branded product and technology pipeline.
The Company's COLCRYS, FIBRICOR, Qualaquin products, and other licensing deals are expected to be the most important areas of growth for the company. They also expect to commercialize several mid-to-late stage NDA products over the next 5 years.
Branded development initiatives are focused on products that address unmet medical needs and provide value for patients and payers. Branded products are commercialized via URL Pharma's internal capabilities, partnerships, or licensing agreements. URL Pharma has also developed multiple technologies for drug delivery and product enhancement including NanoBurst,Z-Burst, and MultiBurst technologies. For more information on these technologies, please click here.
Most of our initiatives have intellectual property or regulatory protection. In mid 2009, URL Pharma's patent portfolio included multiple approved US patents and almost 70 patent applications awaiting approval.