N-Acetyl-L-Cysteine (NAC) dramatically increases the bodys production of glutathione, one of the brains most important antioxidants. NAC itself is a potent antioxidant shown to reduce formation of nitric oxide, a free radical implicated for a causative role in Parkinsons disease, Alzheimers disease, and other neurodegenerative disorders.(1)
* Phosphatidylserine produces marked memory and learning improvements in demented patients, according to research conducted at Stanford University.(2) Like acetyl-L-carnitine and coenzyme Q-10, phosphatidylserine plays an important role in neuronal energy production and chemical communication.
* Acetyl-L-Carnitine, like coenzyme Q-10, enhances neuronal energy pro-duction by transporting fuel sources into the mitochondria the energy producing machinery of the neuron. This particularly benefits damaged brain neurons, which are characterized by decreased energy producing ability. In addition, acetyl-L-carnitine acts as an effective antioxidant and been demon-strated to protect laboratory animals from developing parkinsonism when they are exposed to chemicals known to induce the condition.(3) A report in a recent issue of Neurology found that acetyl-L-carnitine profoundly reduces the rate of progression of Alzheimers disease in younger patients.(4)
* Alpha Lipoic Acid provides powerful antioxidant action and regenerates other important brain antioxidants including vitamins E, C, and glutathione. Unlike other antioxidants, alpha lipoic acid is both fat- and water-soluble, greatly enhancing its ability to be absorbed from the gut and penetrate into the brain.(5)
* Coenzyme Q-10 measurably increases the efficiency of cellular energy production, as demonstrated in studies performed at the Massachusetts General Hospital.(6) In addition, it serves as a potent brain antioxidant. These effects explain why major institutions worldwide are vigorously evaluating coenzyme Q10 as a therapeutic aid in brain disorders.(7)
* Gingko biloba, one of the most extensively studied nutritional supplements for neurodegenerative conditions, directly improves brain metabolism, increases brain blood flow, and provides antioxidant action. In a placebo-controlled, double-blind randomized trial published in the Journal of the American Medical Association, Gingko biloba not only stabilized Alzheimers disease; many subjects demonstrated an actual improvement noted in various standardized psychological tests.(8)