- 4 lbs mussels or small hard-shelled clams
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup dry white wine or vermouth
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 large leek chopped (white part only)
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 3 Tbs butter
- 4 oz mushrooms
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 tsp chopped fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1 cup light cream
- 3 Tbs dry sherry
- Soak mussels in salted water for 30 minutes then scrub well under cold running water with a stiff-bristled brush; cut off beards. Place in a large kettle with water and wine, cover and steam for 5-10 minutes or until shells open; discard any mussels that do not open. Reserve 1 ½ cups of the broth. Remove mussels from shells and set aside. In a large kettle, sauté onion, leek, and garlic in butter until onion is soft, stirring occasionally. Add mushrooms and sauté 2 minute. Add chicken broth and thyme and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer 15 minutes. Stir in cream and mussels and heat through. Add sherry.
Recipe courtesy of the National Fisheries Institute
Calories from Fat 171 (39%)
(30%)Total Fat 19g
(45%)Saturated Fat 9g
Polyunsaturated Fat 2g
Monounsaturated Fat 5g
Total Carbohydrate 19g
(4%)Dietary Fiber 1g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2015 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.