Hearty Glazed Tri-Tip Roast with Creamy Gorgonzola Sauce
Creamy Gorgonzola adds a spicy bite to this marinated roast.
- 1 beef tri-tip roast (1-1/2 to 2 pounds)
- 1 red onion, cut into 16 wedges
- 4 cups baby broccoli, trimmed (about 9 ounces)
- nonstick cooking spray
- salt and pepper
- Marinade1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbs light brown sugar
- 1 Tbs reduced sodium soy sauce
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Creamy Gorgonzola Sauce1/4 cup reduced fat cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 2 Tbs crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
- 1 Tbs minced onion
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Combine marinade ingredients in small bowl. Reserve 2 tablespoons for basting. Place beef roast and remaining marinade in food-safe plastic bag; turn roast to coat. Close bag securely and marinate in refrigerator 30 minutes to 2 hours.
- Heat oven to 425°F. Remove roast from marinade; discard marinade. Place roast on rack in shallow roasting pan. Place onion wedges around roast. Do not add water or cover. Roast in 425°F oven 30 to 40 minutes for medium rare; 40 to 45 minutes for medium doneness, basting with reserved 2 tablespoons marinade halfway through roasting time.
- Remove roast when instant-read thermometer registers 135°F for medium rare; 150°F for medium. Transfer roast to carving board; tent loosely with aluminum foil. Let stand 15 minutes. (Temperature will continue to rise about 10°F to reach 145°F for medium rare; 160°F for medium.)
- Meanwhile prepare Creamy Gorgonzola Sauce. Combine all sauce ingredients in small bowl; mix well. Set aside.
- Spray baby broccoli with nonstick cooking spray, tossing to coat. Place on metal baking sheet. Roast in 425°F oven 10 to 15 minutes or until crisp-tender and slightly browned. Toss onion wedges with baby broccoli. Season with salt and pepper, as desired.
- Carve roast across the grain into thin slices. Season with salt and pepper, as desired. Top beef with Creamy Gorgonzola Sauce. Serve with vegetables.
Substitution Tip: One 3 to 4 pound beef round tip roast may be substituted for tri-tip. Double the amount of ingredients for the red onions Broccolini, Marinade and Creamy Gorgonzola Sauce .
Calories from Fat 64 (36%)
(11%)Total Fat 7g
(15%)Saturated Fat 3g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0g
Monounsaturated Fat 0g
Total Carbohydrate 8g
(3%)Dietary Fiber 1g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2016 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Healthnotes, the company.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.