Creole-Style Pork Stew
Andouille sausage, green bell pepper, hot sauce, and cayenne turn up the heat on ordinary pork stew.
- 1/2 cup peanut oil
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 cups onion, chopped (about 1 large onion)
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 4 links andouille smoked sausage, chopped (about 1 pound, 2 cups)
- 2 Tbs garlic, minced or chopped (about 4 large cloves)
- 4 cups chicken stock, or 1 carton (32 oz) low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 Tbs Worcestershire sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp dried sage
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 to 1 tsp cayenne, depending on personal taste
- 1/2 to 1 tsp ground red pepper, depending on personal taste
- 2 lbs boneless country-style pork ribs, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- hot pepper sauce, or white vinegar
- 4 cups long-grain white rice, cooked
- Make a roux by heating oil in a large, heavy pot over low heat. Stir in flour; cook and stir over low heat until mixture turns a rich red-brown color (about 20 to 25 minutes). Remove from heat; carefully stir in onion, celery, bell pepper and about 1 cup chopped sausage. Return pot to heat; cook and stir 5 minutes over medium heat. Stir in garlic, chicken stock or broth and tomato paste. Add Worcestershire sauce, bay leaves, sage, oregano and cayenne pepper; bring to a boil over high heat. Add pork pieces and reduce heat to simmer; cook uncovered for about 1 1/2 hours or until pork is tender. Stir in remaining chopped sausage; cook 5 minutes more to heat through. (At this stage, if you do not want to serve right away, stew may be refrigerated for up to 2 days.)
- Discard bay leaves and skim any visible fat, if desired. Add salt, pepper and hot pepper sauce to taste. To serve, spoon 1/2 cup rice into shallow soup bowls; ladle some of pork mixture over top. Add more hot pepper sauce, if desired.
Recipe courtesy of the National Pork Board
Variations: Add 1 pound okra cut into 1/2-inch pieces during the last 20 minutes of cooking time.
Calories from Fat 384 (55%)
(65%)Total Fat 42g
(65%)Saturated Fat 13g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0g
Monounsaturated Fat 0g
Total Carbohydrate 38g
(8%)Dietary Fiber 2g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2016 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Healthnotes, the company.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.