Enjoy a favorite Mexican dish with fewer calories and less fat. Evaporated skim milk works well as a substitute for cream in this recipe.
- 8 oz evaporated skim milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup flour
- 12 oz green chili peppers, whole (three 4-ounce cans)
- 6 oz reduced fat cheddar cheese, grated, divided
- 6 oz reduced fat Monterey Jack cheese, grated, divided
- 1 cup tomato sauce, (one 8-ounce can)
- Preheat over to 350°F (175°C).
- In a medium bowl, beat evaporated skim milk with eggs and flour until smooth.
- Split open chiles; set aside.
- Mix jack and cheddar cheeses together. Reserve 1/2 cup (115g) of cheese for topping.
- In a 1 1/2 quart (1.5L) casserole dish, alternate layers of chiles, cheese and egg mixture. Slowly pour tomato sauce on top and sprinkle with the reserved cheese. Bake for approximately 1 1/4 hour.
Calories from Fat 226 (50%)
(38%)Total Fat 25g
(73%)Saturated Fat 15g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 7g
Total Carbohydrate 24g
(11%)Dietary Fiber 3g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2016 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Healthnotes, the company.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.