Bring the taste of New Orleans to your table with this spiced chicken and sausage rice dish.
- 6 chicken thighs, boneless and skinless, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 tsp canola oil
- 1 cup andouille sausage, cut into pieces
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp fresh thyme, minced
- 1 tsp fresh oregano, minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 14 oz can whole, peeled plum tomatoes, with juice
- 1 14 oz can tomato sauce
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- In a large saucepan, warm canola oil over medium heat. Add sausage; sauté until crispy on the edges, about 8 minutes.
- Stir in onion, celery, and green pepper; sauté until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Increase heat to medium-high, add chicken thighs and sauté until lightly browned, about 8 minutes.
- Return heat to medium; stir in cayenne pepper, thyme, oregano, salt, pepper, and garlic. Continue sautéing about 3 more minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes with their juices, tomato sauce, chicken broth, scallions, and rice. Bring to a simmer; reduce heat to very low, cover and cook for 20 minutes; serve.
Recipe courtesy of the National Chicken Council
Calories from Fat 233 (38%)
Total Fat 26g
Saturated Fat 8g
Polyunsaturated Fat 4g
Monounsaturated Fat 11g
Total Carbohydrate 59g
Dietary Fiber 5g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2016 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Healthnotes, the company.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.