Blueberry and Spinach Salad with Hot Bacon Dressing
Chef Steven Jayson and Chef Mark Wachowiak
Heat up this yummy spinach salad with a savory bacon dressing.
- 4 slices applewood-smoked bacon, chopped
- 2 cups red onion, chopped
- 2 Tbs sugar
- 2 Tbs sherry wine
- 1/2 cup white balsamic vinegar 4 ounces (1/2 cup)
- 1 Tbs cornstarch
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 5 quarts baby spinach
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 4 oz blue cheese crumbles
- 2 oz bacon bits
- In a skillet, over medium heat, sauté bacon until crisp, about 7 minutes. Add onion; cook, stirring, until translucent, about 4 minutes. Add sugar; cook, stirring, 1 minute. Deglaze pan with sherry.
- Add vinegar and 6 ounces water; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes.
- Combine cornstarch and chicken broth; add to simmering liquid, stirring rapidly; continue cooking until dressing is thickened, about 3 minutes. Stir in salt and pepper. Use immediately or chill and reheat as needed. (Yield: about 12 ounces)
- At service, in a large bowl, toss spinach with 8 ounces of the hot dressing.
- On each of four large plates, divide dressed spinach (about 5 cups per plate). Sprinkle each serving with 1/2 cup blueberries, 1/4 cup tomatoes, 1/4 cup cheese crumbles and 1 tablespoon bacon bits.
Calories from Fat 117 (36%)
(21%)Total Fat 14g
(33%)Saturated Fat 7g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 4g
Total Carbohydrate 37g
(29%)Dietary Fiber 7g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.