Big Fat Greek Salad
With a nod to the heart-healthy cuisine enjoyed by our Mediterranean friends, this robust salad is loaded with monounsaturated fats and fiber.
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 1 Tbs lemon juice
- 1 Tbs red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano, crumbled
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large red tomatoes (1 pound), cut into chunks
- 1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups hothouse cucumber chunks
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 8 kalamata olives, pitted and sliced
- 4 cups torn mixed dark-hued greens, such as escarole and romaine lettuce, or use all romaine
- 4 oz feta cheese, chopped
- In a large salad bowl, mix the oil, lemon juice, vinegar, oregano, and pepper with a fork.
- Add the tomatoes, chickpeas, cucumber, red onion, parsley, and olives. Toss to mix well. If you have time, let marinate for 15 minutes.
- Add the greens and feta and toss again.
Copyright © 2005 by Rodale Inc.
Calories from Fat 145 (46%)
(25%)Total Fat 16g
(27%)Saturated Fat 5g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 7g
Total Carbohydrate 32g
(28%)Dietary Fiber 7g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2016 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Healthnotes, the company.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.